< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Question  (Read 2050 times)

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Question
« on: May 31, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »
I no longer have a .223 rifle due to some SHTF scenarios that all of a sudden decided to happen in my life.

Problem is, I now have about 100-ish rounds of reloaded .223. I was going to buy a bullet puller and collett so I could salvage the powder (mine) and sell the bullets/brass, but I really don't feel like paying $40 just to pull them down.

Suggestions on what I should do with the ammo? It's 62gr Barnes TSX OTM, loaded with IMR4895.

I have some other new manufacture that I will probably sell off/trade off, but I'm not sure what to do with this stuff.

Thanks,
Dave
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »
You could get one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/215517/frankford-arsenal-impact-bullet-puller?cm_vc=ProductFinding

That will let you keep your powder and those work for just about every caliber so you'll have it when things return to normal.

If that isn't a good option, check with people you know that have faith in your reloading ability and see if they are willing to buy the ammo from you.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 03:02:07 PM »
I want to refrain from selling reloaded by me due to the lack of an FFL.

Will look into the impact puller...

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »
gsd:

Just checked my reloading/unloading/cartridge dismembering inventory.

Happens that I've got a Forster bullet puller with a collet that's marked .224.   Which appears to be the right, proper, and correct collet for your stuff.

Basically, the Forster device threads into the reloading press.   Then you move the cartridge up into it, nose first.   Turn the bitty little handle thingie to tighten the collet onto the bullet, and push the reloading press handle to pull the cartridge case down and the bullet out.

If you want to mess with it, you're welcome to do so.   Suggest doing a Google on it first to check it out.  Probably tedious to use.   Possibly will mark the bullet w/an annular ring.  But then, it could be just jam-dandy.  I've never used it so cannot offer an opinion nor guidance.

Lemme know.

(Or just find someone w/a Class III fully automatic .223 and let 'er rip.   Done it.   Now THAT's a HOOT!)

sfg
[BTW--FFL-ers can't mfg ammo, either.  Gotta have a federal ammo mfgr's license.   Land of the free......]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:03:37 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 06:22:27 PM »
SFG, I bought one of the impact-style pullers. It...kinda...works.

And I was referring to an FFL 06, :)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 08:10:44 PM »
gsd:

Now you're cookin'.

Even tho I own the Forster, I like and use those heavy duty plastic hammer-'em-out utensils.

By the time you get to Cartridge #99, you'll be knockin' out the bullets with a single WHAP!

If you have an old foam earplug laying around, you can put it in the end of the hammer to cushion the bullet when it pops out.

It takes 30-40 successful bullet-removals before you quit worrying about the explosion.

Haven't ever broken one of those plastic devices yet.
sfg
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:09:13 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »
Invite a friend with a .223 to go shooting with you? :lightbulb:

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »
Hey! I have a .223 .........
Just sayin'
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 02:56:53 PM »
Hey! I have a .223 .........
Just sayin'

I have a few ... but you're closer to him.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »
I like and use those heavy duty plastic hammer-'em-out utensils.

Works for me as well.  It does get to be a drag if there are more than a few though. :laugh: