< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Church safety  (Read 1547 times)

Offline edjohnson

• NFOA Full Member
    • Ed Johnson Taining
Church safety
« on: May 31, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »
I'm talking with a couple of churches here in Sarpy County that want to develop safety programs. State legislation allows CCW in houses of worship that have such programs. I'm wondering whether anyone on this list might have already been through such a process and would be willing to share your experiences--saving us from reinventing the wheel.
--Ed Johnson

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
Re: Church safety
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 02:43:38 PM »
Let me know what you find out... :D

Wilson

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 02:54:28 PM »
I'm talking with a couple of churches here in Sarpy County that want to develop safety programs. State legislation allows CCW in houses of worship that have such programs. I'm wondering whether anyone on this list might have already been through such a process and would be willing to share your experiences--saving us from reinventing the wheel.

Visit with Brookside Church.  They recently held some training and I heard are working on a program.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 04:05:33 PM »
One of Sponsors ...Safe Systems Group is THE go to on church safety, laws, etc. in Nebraska.  PoC is Cody.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 04:08:10 PM »
One of Sponsors ...Safe Systems Group is THE go to on church safety, laws, etc. in Nebraska.  PoC is Cody.

http://www.avoidthefight.com/
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 08:26:34 PM »
EDJohnson:

About a year or so ago I offered an NRA RSO class for a large church that was implementing such a program.   Most of the members of their safety program are Forum members, so you may stimulate some response from them.

A PM has been sent to you separately with the Forum name of one of the members who served as my contact with this group.   (Church name is not mentioned in the pm.)

You might benefit by contacting that individual.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 11:19:55 PM »
I am hoping that when we (NFOA) help to "enhance/reWrite" our current CHP laws in the near future with a new & improved legislature  :P.... We can exclude churches from the prohibited list! I personally believe that they should be able to make their own decisions & post a sign (also to be addressed) OR allow legal carriers to carry! PERIOD! Example= the new laws in Georgia! 

Oh .....& 'financial instutions' as well!  That part is the possibly one of the worst inclusions on the original bill....no one with a CHP is going to rob a bank! Much more likely to get robbed leaving a bank or be in the middle of a robbery!

The other day I pulled up to an atm & my wife, being somewhat new to being the wife of a concealed carrier....was surprised when I sat my handgun on my lap as I made my transaction...in my mind that is possibly the most probable place that I go that where I would be a target!

The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline edjohnson

• NFOA Full Member
    • Ed Johnson Taining
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 11:56:33 AM »
jFade,

As my friends at Ft. Bragg would say, roger that.

State Statute 6902441 (c) says the following:

"(c) A place of worship may authorize its security personnel to carry concealed handguns on its property so long as each member of the security personnel, as authorized, is in compliance with the Concealed Handgun Permit Act and possesses a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued pursuant to the act and written notice is given to the congregation"

I sounds to me like a church can now vote to make all CCW members and guests members of their security team--sort of like open communion. or like deputizing all the town folks in the old west. Run this by a lawyer first, but it appears to me like you can do today, under current law, do just what you wanted.
--Ed Johnson

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 12:10:43 PM »
edjohnson.....  Would again refer you to visit with Cody.  He can provide you the history and background (and limitations) of the statute you quoted ... and again is the resident expert for Nebraska IMHO....