< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Chili's & Sonic.....add them to the list  (Read 3062 times)

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
Chili's & Sonic.....add them to the list
« on: May 31, 2014, 11:58:59 PM »
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5419942

First off.....how can you carry in a Sonic when there entire customer area is outdoors?  Better post the parking lot!   

I just read this on the NRAs Facebook page....makes me want to puke! I eat at Sonic a lot because it's right by my house....now I'm not so sure!

I really want to support open carry!!!....unfortunately in a lot of cases it seems like it is hurting our cause more than helping it!

Jane Q Public/MiniVan Mom is scared shirtless by guns & to tell you the truth, I meet a lot of guys in the construction industry that also have no experience with &/Or are scared to death of the idea of guns around them....

With that said, I don't have the answer! I Do Not/Would Not tell someone Not to enjoy their RIGHTS such as carrying a firearm openly! & I am pretty sure that I will not willingly patronize any business that I feel infringes on MY RIGHTS!

Maybe that will be my mission tomorrow....

......stop by my neighborhood sonic, Order about $49 in breakfast burritos & pull up to the window & give them a 'no guns=no cash' card & peel out of the parking lot!

The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Chili's & Sonic.....add them to the list
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 05:08:53 AM »
Just gives me another reason not patronize either of these dives. >:D

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:22:09 AM »
I really want to support open carry!!!....unfortunately in a lot of cases it seems like it is hurting our cause more than helping it!

^ Exactly how I feel.
Sadly I love me some Sonic, great place to stop with the kiddos after school during Happy Hour. (and Chillis is a good change up now and again. )  And frankly I REALLY HOPE Texas Roadhouse doesn't add to their policy.  We are running out of places to take family when they come visit.

From the article I read- Firearms in the vehicle- Sonic asks that you follow State/ Federal law. ...

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
OPEN CARRY TEXAS .....  "Carrying rifles and shotguns into businesses is the approach that has "gotten the most resistance and suffered the largest setbacks," the group said.

BINGO....  so STOP IT .....

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 02:00:09 PM »
^^^EXACTLY^^^
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 02:40:27 PM »
There's no shortage of places that don't want you to disarm to eat.  These doofuses just cut out a good portion of their customer base.  We need to make this kind of stupidity hurt ... their bottom lines.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »
There's no shortage of places that don't want you to disarm to eat.  These doofuses just cut out a good portion of their customer base.  We need to make this kind of stupidity hurt ... their bottom lines.
Is that just speculation, or do you have some information that supports the notion that they will lose a good portion of their customer base?  It seems to me that it will have a negligible effect as open carry of weapons in restaurants isn't really all that prevalent and I suspect most people are probably indifferent to restaurants asking patrons to refrain from doing so.

I have no issue with folks carrying openly in public in any venue, but I don't know that it will impact their bottom lines much.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
I have no issue with folks carrying openly in public in any venue, but I don't know that it will impact their bottom lines much.                  

So...does that mean you support open carry enough to make it an impact. Or, will you patronize those that oppose firearm rights simply because you choose not to open carry?

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 07:26:40 PM »
Looking at the big picture, open carrying in public, even when a negative reaction is observed, does more to protect our rights than those of us who think we shouldn't do it because they feel it hurts the cause. Not doing it is going to lead to not being able to do it at all anymore. If you offend an anti, that is a good thing.

The greatest threat to 2A rights is our willingness to let the antis divide us. If some form of carry is not your thing, don't stand with the antis in demonizing it. If a business bans guns, let them know they exclude all of us, not just a minor faction. Support the 2A fully or you are not supporting it at all.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »
So...does that mean you support open carry enough to make it an impact. Or, will you patronize those that oppose firearm rights simply because you choose not to open carry?

I'm just guessing that the number of people who will no longer frequient Chili's and Sonic because of their stance on open carry is probably pretty miniscule, and is probably outweighed by the number who will refuse to go there if they do allow it after being put on the spot. 

I have no problem with people who choose to open carry.  They just need to realize that they won't always be welcomed with open arms when they do.  Chili's and Sonic are in the business of selling food to the public.  My guess is they did the math and figure they will lose more business if they take a stand in favor of OC than if they didn't.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 07:17:46 AM »
Is that just speculation, or do you have some information that supports the notion that they will lose a good portion of their customer base?  It seems to me that it will have a negligible effect as open carry of weapons in restaurants isn't really all that prevalent and I suspect most people are probably indifferent to restaurants asking patrons to refrain from doing so.

It's primarily speculation but, in a market like Omaha, most restaurants can't afford to lose a single customer.

Offline Joe58

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »
Hi - new here to the board but I wanted to ask on this one.

Nebraska is an open carry state, unless it is posted otherwise, correct? I'm not trying be a smart a@@, I'm just asking.

Reason I'm asking is about a year ago I was in a Walmart, not one in Omaha or Lincoln, I noticed two gentleman dressed in jeans and tshirts, both wearing sidearms on their hip in open carry. And I'm sure they were not LEO just because of the gear they were wearing. And investigators don't open carry. Especially when grocery shopping.

I noticed them again in a checkout line and as far as I could tell, they didn't get any grief, but I did notice they were getting a lot of attention from other customers.

I'm just not sure if it was sending a good or bad message. I've seen many people walking into a cafe or bomgaars during deer or turkey season with a pistol, or a knife on their hip and nobody pays any attention.

Maybe sometimes there's a right way to do it, and other times maybe not. Dunno the answer. It's a tough question. Seems as though different parts of the state vary in opinion.

I remember as a boy walking down the street heading down to the creek to squirrel and rabbit hunt carrying my .22 and never was even looked at. And every boy in school had a pocket knife. Often times a teacher would ask to use it. Now days the SWAT team would have me on the ground in about 90 seconds. Lol.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 01:55:58 PM by Joe58 »

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »
I remember as a boy walking down the street heading down to the creek to squirrel and rabbit hunt carrying my .22 and never was even looked at. And every boy in school had a pocket knife. Often times a teacher would ask to use it. Now days the SWAT team would have me on the ground in about 90 seconds. Lol.

The world has changed since you and I were boys...and not for the better.  We live in a much more violent world, where lunatics shoot up schools and kill innocent people there, young students planning on killing other students, lunatics shooting up malls, etc.   There's even a chance of being shot and killed in a movie theater.  Then there's all the sex offenders and serial killers roaming around, its almost not safe to let your kids play outside anymore.  I know it wasn't like that when I was a kid. 

And no, I don't support OC.  They only OC where its "safe" to OC like in small town Nebraska, and most of the people they will encounter are soccer moms and those types.  OC in the bad neighborhoods of Lincoln and Omaha, where you will likely encounter Bloods, Crips, Surenos, Indian Nation, MS-13, Latin Kings, etc, and see where that gets you.  You will cause alarm in those areas.

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 09:58:11 AM »
It's primarily speculation but, in a market like Omaha, most restaurants can't afford to lose a single customer.

I speculate that they are willing to lose the business of a few of what THEY consider "gun nuts".