< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Concealed Carry and contact with Law Enforcement  (Read 8775 times)

Offline Hoot

• Forum Member
Concealed Carry and contact with Law Enforcement
« on: June 14, 2014, 08:15:36 PM »
I was stopped today by a city police officer and issued a ticket for speeding.  I have a concealed carry permit but I was not carrying at the time of the traffic stop.  When the officer asked me to sign the ticket, he said he noticed I had a CCW permit and he wanted to know if I was carrying.  I replied no and told him I knew that if I was carrying, I am required to notify him in the state of Nebraska.  Does anyone know if it is common practice for law enforcement to ask this?   

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Concealed Carry and contact with Law Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 09:23:18 PM »
Haven't heard of any LEO asking a non-notifying CHP holder about presence of a handgun, such as you described.   However, certainly could happen, as in your case.

As you indicate, notification isn't required in Nebraska when not packing.  However, many non-packing CHP holders will still voluntarily notify the LEO up front as a courtesy that they are not packing simply to clarify the situation and avoid possible complications during the traffic stop.

Interesting YouTube Video:
LEO stops a citizen in another state who is packing.   Citizen tries to tell LEO about handgun; LEO screams (in effect) "SHADDUP!!!!".

Then LEO goes absolutely total freak-out ballistic when he learns of the handgun.

Worth a look.

sfg 

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:06:55 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »
Interesting YouTube Video:
Worth a look.

So...wanna share a link or title or something....

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »
SS_N_NE:

Yeah, Good Point.

I sorta left it all hanging there.   And knew I'd dunnit.

So--later went looking for that particular video and didn't find that particular one in the time available on this particular holiday.

But....No Biggie.

As an alternative, simply Google <Crazy LEOs>.    Which will be a very sobering set of views, indeed.  No intent here to smear good cops as being "crazy".   Not at all.   But what comes up in response to that search string will give us all a new perspective on the Mean Streets portion of the justice system.

In the meantime, I'll try to find the original video.   It's really scary.   Those folks have handguns, ARs, shotguns, pepper spray, mace, handcuffs, tasers.....all that.   

When their Protect and Serve attitude goes to hell, the citizen is in serious jeopardy.

sfg
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:54:40 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
OK............a little more search found this Little Gem.

It speaks--shouts, actually--all by itself.

Wouldn't want to have been the subject of all that focused attention.

sfg

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 04:24:35 PM »
Here's Another One:

Traffic stops involving concealed carry do not always follow the nice, polite steps discussed in Massad Ayoob's video on how to handle a traffic stop.

Notice in both videos the LEOs have basically threatened to gun down the concealed carry permit holder.

sfg

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 07:05:21 PM »
The Canton LEO in the video was fired ... IMHO this nut job should have never been allowed to carry for a living or even own a firearm and it is fortunate no one was killed in one of his fits of rage

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 07:52:46 PM »
Another interesting aspect of these videos is that the LEOs seem to consider state-issued lawful concealed carry permits as being at about the same level of validity as Confederate money.

sfg

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 10:58:59 PM »
Cop videos!  Sweet!

This one is a retired sheriff, who assumed the new deputy would recognize the retired old guy, which he did not.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 07:21:39 AM »
So anyway, no, it's not unusual for the LEO to ask if you're carrying after running the paperwork.  They find out.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline tachyonbb

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 09:05:54 AM »
The Canton LEO (Dan Harliss), was fired, appealed his firing and won reinstatement.  At this time he did not ask to be reinstated.  The arbitrator stated in his written opinion "“What needs to be understood is (there’s) no rule that says an officer (cannot) or should not make threats,”  Harliss did not ask for reinstatement. He is receiving workman's compensation and a disability retirement.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 12:34:27 PM »
He is receiving workman's compensation and a disability retirement.

"Wow"....... all I can say is "Wow"......

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 10:33:20 PM »
Wonder how much money would be my pocket if I was not putting out for bogus comp and disability.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 10:15:42 PM »
New company provided lease vehicle, none of my information is on the registration or plate.  I like it, I luv it, I want some more of it.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 12:52:44 AM »
If it is a company leased vehicle, make sure you know the company policy concerning firearms and their leased vehicles if they have one.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
David what does it matter that none of your information is on the registration or plate? If this is in reference to CHP, recall this is tied to your Operators License.....

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 06:33:48 PM »
I got stopped about 2 weeks ago because of no tail lights after dark (weird car, headlights come on automatically but not the tail lights).  The cop was pretty nice about it and was standing right next to me as he was having his dispatch run my drivers license.  At the end of the transmission from dispatch she informed him I had a CCW.  I was not carrying at the time so I didnt notify him, but when I heard the notification from the dispatcher I told him that yes I had a CCW but was not carrying.  I turned on the tail lights (stupid car) and that was the end of the contact.  Well, I did tell him that if I had been carrying that notification would have been the first words out of my mouth, we both had a chuckle over that.
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 06:40:31 PM »
I heard today that a local LEO told a local Firearms Group that it is MANDATORY that you disclose you CCW right away, whether or not you are carrying at the time.
I know we all have differing opinions on this.  I for one let them know either way, just to not have any hassle. BUT does the law state as such? Maybe we should get a opinion from the AG? settle this once and for all?

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »
I heard today that a local LEO told a local Firearms Group that it is MANDATORY that you disclose you CCW right away, whether or not you are carrying at the time.
I know we all have differing opinions on this.  I for one let them know either way, just to not have any hassle. BUT does the law state as such? Maybe we should get a opinion from the AG? settle this once and for all?

Not needed in my opinion, the statute is pretty clear. Seems some LEO's need some training on the laws.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 11:36:57 PM »
No AG opinion needed.  The statute is clear..carrying = must notify. ..not carrying = not required to. ..take home message ....never ask a cop about the law especially an ignorant (dictionary definition) one...