< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 2336 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
What to do?
« on: June 18, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »
Wife and I are heading out tomorrow afternoon on a 3 night camping trip, will be traveling through IA, and MO, but landing in Nebraska, Indian Cave.

Haven't camped since the last weekend in April, so when i brought it home last night, dang it if the plates aren't expired.  I panicked, and renewed online about 8pm, but no way will i get registration and tags by tomorrow.

The plan, as always was to carry my Shield.

I'm going to assume (right or wrong), that since i paid my registration in full i'll be legal, but almost know i'll get pulled over with an expired tag.

I'm a ccw holder, so would you forget the gun at home this time, which kind of terrifies me?
How does ccw effect me just packing a Mossberg 500 instead?
Can i go to the DMV show them my receipt and get a new tag!?

Just looking for the smartest decision here, given the circumstance.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:10:57 AM »
I would say the first thing to do is call them and find out what your options are.  They should be able to tell you that they already mailed them so you will have to wait or if they will just hold them for you to pick up.  Call right now though...
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »
Well, picking them up is not an option.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 11:26:01 AM »
I am trying to follow your post, but if I understand you correctly you seemed concerned about your tags and your ability to legally carry.  Why would it matter if you have expired tags and your decision to carry (legally of course with your CHP)?  They are mutually exclusive.  If you get pulled over for expired tags, deal with it... inform the LEO of your CHP and that you are carrying and go from there.  You've not broken any firearms carry laws.  No different than running stop sign or speeding.....And take the Shotgun anyway.....

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 11:28:45 AM »
And by the way for extraneous useless future information, NSP and other LEOs have the right to cite you on day 1 on the month of expiration as that is when they technically expire, thought most of us wait I am sure until the end of said month, but I digress.....

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 11:46:11 AM »
My tags were good trough May. 

As far as the carry issue, and tag expiration being 2 separate issues, i guess i was only hoping to not have any confrontation period.  I realize i'll be legal, but am always wondering how the treatment will be.  especially towing on what is initially deemed to be an unlicensed vehicle.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 12:05:41 PM »
My tags were good trough May. 

As far as the carry issue, and tag expiration being 2 separate issues, i guess i was only hoping to not have any confrontation period.  I realize i'll be legal, but am always wondering how the treatment will be.  especially towing on what is initially deemed to be an unlicensed vehicle.

Do you have a confirmation from your online renewal that you can print out and carry with you as you travel? That should buy you some peace of mind.

I don't see there being an issue here re: concealed carry.

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 12:11:11 PM »
Do you have a confirmation from your online renewal that you can print out and carry with you as you travel? That should buy you some peace of mind.

I don't see there being an issue here re: concealed carry.

Yeah i do.  there probably isn't a problem really, just my paranoia.  You know how a situation can always be more tense with the wife being immediately involved.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 12:32:20 PM »
Your towing a trailer? Unless the office see your front plate they will have a hard time checking you tags. I agree with citizen take your renewal with you. Be polite if you get pulled over and you should be ok.

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 12:40:07 PM »
Well, Sold Me.  I guess I'm not going to spend much more time sweating it. 

Sure can't figure out what happened to my renewal reminder,  the trash can probably has a good idea.

Thanks.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 06:25:47 PM »
Lock her in the trailer.... :)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 09:31:24 PM »
Lock her in the trailer.... :)

......believe me..........

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 07:30:53 AM »
Your renewal reminders look a lot different this year.

Local treasurer told me a LOT of people have tossed them this year thinking it was junk mail.

Aside from that, unless there is a check point or you get pulled over for some other infraction, most likely no one will even notice your expired tags. 

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 09:36:27 AM »
As a follow up, my regristration came in the mail before we left.

Like i said, it was about 8pm tuesday night when i did the online registration, it was in my mail wednesday. Pretty efficient, surprisingly.