< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: MUD (and other utility companies) advertising  (Read 2348 times)

Offline schlumper

• NFOA Full Member
MUD (and other utility companies) advertising
« on: September 22, 2009, 09:31:24 PM »
Let me start with saying: I know this isn't firearms related.

Why do MUD and other utility companies in Nebraska advertise? These are all state/end user owned companies with no competition. All the money they spend on advertising could instead be going to infrastructure improvements or lower of rates.

What are your opinions on this, and should we push for legislation to end this wasteful government spending?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:35:26 AM by FarmerRick »

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: MUD (and other utility companies) advertising
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 07:25:01 AM »
schlumper,
Please be quiet, pick up your plastic cup, and drink your Kool-Aid.  You know better than ask such controversial questions.  Now be a good little conservative and go away.
-B.H.O. 

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:01:53 AM »
This needs to go in the non-gun stuff area, but you are absolutely right.  It is almost as irritating as the USDA running ads for their new debit cards replacing food stamps:  Now you can rape the tax-payers behind you in line and the ones in front of you, the ones the other lines, and, well, pretty much ALL of them) at the grocery store with out all the embarrassment of actually using paper food stamps- just swipe that card like you actually paid for it yourself, with your own debit card...... only you didn't!   No shame anymore, and THAT is a shame!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 09:03:59 AM »
Indeed schlumper, you know the only way to cut the budget is to pull firefighters off of trucks and cut the police department budget. The only steps that can be taken after those are releasing criminals from jail, firing teachers and cutting state government hours/forced furloughs.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »
The advertising isn't for marketing, it's for public relations.  Though that doesn't make it okay.  We've got the same deal here in my backyard with Denver Water.  You can't get your water from anyone else (water rights are separate from real estate property rights in CO), yet they spend money on billboards, commercials, a running toliet mascot that terrorizes kids in parks (for serious), "free" yard signs, "free" grocery bags, and "free" tshirts.  Don't let me catch any of you Huskers ordering one of those freebies on my dime!  :P
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 10:05:24 PM »
Don't let me catch any of you Huskers ordering one of those freebies on my dime!  :P

Dang and here I thought I could get a couple of work t-shirts outta the deal.  >:D
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:47:10 PM »
Very good question.  I've always wondered that about utilities myself.  Being in the business world myself, I know if you don't spend all of your budgeted expenses in the current year you run the chance of being given less the next year, so I wonder if part of the reason is just to make sure they spend excess money.