< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 308 dies  (Read 1613 times)

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
308 dies
« on: June 26, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »
friend of mine is getting a reloading setup and has stated I can use it to reload my 308 as long as i have my own dies bullets etc

well brass i have, powder primers and bullets are easy enough (most of the time)

dies.... what should I be looking for? is there really a big difference between some of the  options provided by the bigger names?

I'll mostly be doing target shooting and hunting, no super long range or precision contests.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: 308 dies
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »
Full length, just about any die set will work in any press unless its a Hornady Lock and Load, then you need an adapter (i think)

I never had much on an issue with my RCBS dies, price is reasonable too. (Around $30-$40) just my opinion.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 01:45:08 PM »
GSD is right... if its a lock n load you should pick up a set of bushings so you don't have to reset you dies each time load.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 02:23:44 PM »
I have a brand new set of Lee .308 dies that I'm not going to use and need a home. $25

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,12164.0.html

I'll be coming through Omaha Saturday morning

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 03:13:59 PM »
i'm out of town all weekend.
Elmo Missouri throws a pretty dang good July 4th party considering the size of the town and I'm going. Its this weekend so I'll be down there Friday - Sunday, but if you wanted to leave those dies in my mailbox for free, that'd be great ;D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 07:50:34 PM »
I have Redding.  I am very happy with them.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 07:56:15 PM »
i'm out of town all weekend.
Elmo Missouri throws a pretty dang good July 4th party considering the size of the town and I'm going. Its this weekend so I'll be down there Friday - Sunday, but if you wanted to leave those dies in my mailbox for free, that'd be great ;D

Keep checking your mailbox   :-)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »
First you have to make a decision:   whether to (a) full-length case resize or (b) neck-resize only.

It will depend upon whether you are of the Black Rifle Cult (full-length resizers) or the True Turnbolt Sub-Sub MOA Shooters (neck resizing).

And whether you shoot the reloaded cartridges in multiple rifles or mate them in sets to their master rifle.

Makes a big difference.

And if you full-length resize, you will need a stuck-case remover kit.   Sooner or later.  You will.  Even with titanium-carbide inserts in your FL die.   (Never mind how I know.)

FWIW

sfg
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:54:11 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline MHicks

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 08:23:16 PM »
And if you full-length resize, you will need a stuck-case remover kit.   Sooner or later.  You will.  Even with titanium-carbide inserts in your FL die.   (Never mind how I know.)

Isn't that the truth.

There are a few differences between the major names in dies.  Hornady has a zip stem.  It is designed to give before the decapping pin breaks.  I find that I have to tighten it to a point where it will not zip inorder to get it to work reliably.

That is the biggest difference I can think of between the die sets I have used.  (RCBS, Hornady and Lee)  RCBS and Hornady have a great warranty.  Lee says two years but I have called to have small parts sent to me well after the two year mark and they didn't hesitate or charge.

Currently I have mostly Hornady and RCBS dies.