< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anybody have 9mm throating or chamber reamers?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
Anybody have 9mm throating or chamber reamers?
« on: June 27, 2014, 06:01:14 PM »
I have a tight throated or chambered "National Match", whatever that means, 9mm EFK pistol barrel.  I'd like to ream it to a more standard spec for combat pistol matches.  Anybody have one or know of a gunsmith that has one?  Tks. ahead.  Clinton.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Anybody have 9mm throating or chamber reamers?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »
Are you having issues with the barrel as it is?

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 07:15:06 PM »
Are you having issues with the barrel as it is?
Hello,
Yes, It will not chamber (plunk test) a perfectly handcrafted Lyman truncated cone @ 1.016 oal @ .357".  I need to squish it down past SAAMI specs (.999) to get it to go flush at the breach.   The pistol will not go into battery every 10 rds or so @ 1.016.  This is the bullet I want to use in all my 9mms.  EFK stated somewhere that their barrels are .002" tighter but I can't find it now.  Whatever theoretical accuracy I may be gaining from this is not worth it.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »
You are using .357 diameter bullets rather than .355?  Sounds like it is engaging the rifling, based on your comment on OAL.   

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »
You are using .357 diameter bullets rather than .355?  Sounds like it is engaging the rifling, based on your comment on OAL.   

Engaging the throat.  Cast boolits do best one or two thous over bore.  Truncated cone bullets are known offenders to tight chambers.  What I don't get is the Glock barrel just swallows it and both barrels are .358 @ the throat when I slug them.  Must be the taper of the throat?  Discussions like this are driving me.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=438861

Offline RLMoeller

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 08:28:33 PM »
Ah.  Didn't realize you were using cast. 

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 09:42:57 PM »
I had one of those barrels and the chamber was not round. I noticed the ejected brass was oval. When I ran my reamer into the chamber it cut on the sides but not the top to bottom.

If you want to ship me your barrel and a couple rounds you want to fit and return shipping money I will do it.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 07:26:09 PM »
Hi Dave, I ordered a reamer late last month, Manson finish reamer.   I wished I'd been more patient and took you up on the generous offer.  I was even in South Sioux City last week, doh!

Used it yesterday.  Three turns with no downward pressure shaved just enough metal to chamber my handload flush, plunk test.  EFK did finally call me last week but results were inconclusive over the phone and to be fair I was working and had to cut the call short.  They seemed very willing to help.   Will try to get out to shoot it soon.

If anyone's interested I'll use it once more and sell it.