< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Glock model 27  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Glock model 27
« on: January 18, 2008, 09:42:15 PM »

The Glock model 27 is the subcompact version of Glock's .40 caliber carry pistol. This is a great concealed carry gun, and since somewhere in the area of 85% of U.S. Law Enforcement carry the Glock model 22 Full size .40 caliber pistol, many LEO's carry the model 27 as their back up gun.

This isn't a pleasant gun to take and shoot at the range all day long, as you only get a two finger grip around the pistol. The magazine holds 9 rounds plus 1 in the chamber. I carry extra 15 round (Glock 22) magazines for my spares, as they will fit in the model 27 although they stick out of the bottom.

Carried in a inside the waistband holster, or fanny pack holster, this gun is very easy to conceal, yet is extremely adequate firepower for personal defense.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 10:08:00 AM by Jay »

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Glock model 27
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 09:44:13 PM »
OK, how do I get the picture posted here?  :)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 04:01:45 AM »
Thanks for the post, great info!

I am not the tech expert here, but I used photobucket to post my pics. I already have an account set up, so if you can e-mail me the pic, I can post it for you if you want. Or, you can set up your own photobucket or similar account. Thanks.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 05:48:18 AM »
I have a photobucket type account set up with Google (Picassa Web). I just cut and pasted the HTML into my post, then clicked "insert image" around it.

Here is where the pic is:

http://picasaweb.google.com/cmzeeb/ChrisZeeb

Let me know if you are able to do it, and how you end up getting it posted. I was going to work on posting several other guns info and pictures here eventually.

Thanks

CZ

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 09:58:42 AM »
I have tried and tried and can't do anything with it which sucks because it is a great pic. Hopefully Sam can figure something out.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 10:14:35 AM »
Ok, I got it posted, but I had to copy and paste it on to my computer then download it into my photobucket account, then resize it to message board size. I still have no idea how to tell you how to do it directly.

If nothing else, it really wasn't that big of deal for me to post it from your link, so I can do that unless Sam can figure out how to do it from your account.

Your post is EXACTLY the kind of thing I want to fill up the firearm and caliber guides with, so please don't hesitate to post any others you might have. We'll get the pics up one way or another. Thanks for your help.

Offline schoolcop

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:35:45 AM »
I see you have the picture posted. If you didn't you could've just told everyone to see one of the other Glock pictures and just picture it a little smaller.  ;) You've seen one Glock you've seen every Glock ever made.

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »
The Glock 27 is not a gun for reloads unless you get an aftermarket barrel.  Seen so many close to KB reload rounds out of them.  I just picked up 200 new spent rounds from one and everyone was bulged so bad I cannot reload them.   Not to say anything bad about Glocks they are a great gun (most LEOs carry them) but that is something Glock needs to work on (and I'm sure they are).  This is a big deal on most forums as alot of people feel they are slowly starting to fall behind the rest of the industry.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 10:38:29 AM »
Ask Randy about Glocks and reloads..............
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 02:47:58 AM »
Okay Jim
G22 .40S&W Clean Barrel

Round One
Load 5 magazines of 15 (no clips here)
Shoot first five mags. slow an pertinent, no problems.

Round Two
Change Out Target
Load another 5 magazines.
Shoot first three mags. double taps than double taps followed by head shot, no problems.
Forth magazine shoot fairly fast, boom, boom, boom, etc.. Are you counting, that's 135 rounds.
Fifth and last magazine. Shoot one, two, almost three KaBoom! Drop gun on shooting table look at hands for finger check all there.
Have some minor scratches I am shaking, hands are numb, wow. Takes me awhile to compose myself.

Gun had Barrel chamber blown out, Upper Slide rails bent out, Slide safety spring gone, Magazine catch gone,
Ejector gone, trigger gone, lower was bulged especially in magazine grip area.
Could not find the magazine was probably to dazed and confused. More than my norm.
The gun did what it was supposed to in a catastrophic failure.

Situation
Reloads Yes FMJ 155 grain bullets.
Hodgdon  Titegroup  .400"  1.125"COL  5.4grs  1058vel  28,400 PSI
Could it have been a double powder charge, yes.
Could it have been a squid load followed by a full round, yes.
Could it have been a damaged cartridge brass, yes.
Could it have been a overheated barrel, yes.
Could it have been Glock's notorious loose chamber particularly at 6:00 position, yes.
Could it have been a leaded up or coopered up barrel, no anal tentative about my gun cleaning.

It could have been any of these things. I reload slowly no contest here to how many I can reload an hour.
I try to visually check every round for powder charge drop amount and weigh every 10Th round for
powder charge weight after initial test of first 5 rounds for consistency.

The Barrel was hot, it had been shot a lot.

For certain it happened to me and that is why my Glock G19c now has a Bar-Sto barrel.

I do not think I will own another .40 S&W caliber pistol.
The 9mm (9x19) and the .40 S&W are both High Pressure Rounds with the forty having much more beef shooting down the pipe.
Mine was not the first failure nor the last.
Will I purchase another Glock?
Yes I would, these are good simplistic firearms Glocks are some of the most reliable handguns made.
I wish that they made a long Slide version (6" barrel) in .45 Auto would be an excellent Bowling Pin shooter.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 07:02:15 PM »
I shoot tons of reloads in my .40 Glocks..... So far, no KB!!!!

Here is my friends Glock .40-

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0KhBtUTUfgltLikDWx-6yw?authkey=Gv1sRgCO2bpMu9gtnAtgE&feat=directlink

No Internet Hysteria here about so-called unsupported factory barrels applies here. Brand new KKM Match barrel, this happened on the 8th shot.

What is coincidental with Randy's Glock...... Same Powder.... Titegroup. Double charge we believe. Should have been 4 grains of powder, was really 8. Found a couple in the batch after pulling the bullets.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 02:09:41 AM »
What is coincidental with Randy's Glock...... Same Powder.... Titegroup. Double charge we believe. Should have been 4 grains of powder, was really 8. Found a couple in the batch after pulling the bullets.
Wow, mine was nothing like the above mentioned G22.
I was using Rainer Bullets 155gr though and Titegroup Powder 5.4gr (intended charge) with used Brass.
The other referenced blown up gun is no wonder if the person was only using 4.0gr (intended charge) of powder.

Looks like the blown up gun picture may have had a squid load with 4.0gr
resulting in a stuck bullet at mid barrel followed by 8.0gr of bullet and powder.

Titegroup Powder: Hodgdon Recommends 5.4gr Min. and 5.9gr Max. with a 155gr Bullet.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
So my possible double charge would have equaled 10.8gr and I may not have had a hand left.

I truly lean to the overheated barrel and a few others have agreed after inspecting.
Will never know with any certainty. Also this was a Missouri State Patrol (refurbished from Glock) gun.

Be safe and may no one experience what I did.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 02:06:10 AM »
Selling my Glock 27 was the most enjoyable firearm sale I've ever taken part in.

That was the most unpleasant handling firearm I've ever owned. I'm sure all Glocks aren't as miserable as the 27 but I'll never buy another.

Among my various carry pieces is a Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact .45ACP. I know there are Bersa bashers out there but having owned both, I'll take my Thunder over a 27 every time. I've put over 500 rounds through it with not 1 FT(F,E), stovepipe or misfire of any kind. And it is an absolute pleasure to shoot!

Just my $0.02
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:09:13 AM by 00BUCK »

Offline jetdrvr46

• NFOA Full Member
  • Get off my lawn!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 10:56:33 PM »
The 9mm Glocks are much more pleasant to shoot. I have owned a 22,23 and 35 and I feel your pain OOBUCK. The .40 may have great stopping power but I never really liked it. I have had super good luck with all the Glocks I have owned and shot. Just wish I could have kept them all. I got in to a buy/sell/trade craze a few years back. Never again. My .02.

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 02:11:14 PM »
I really do like my G27 and G23.  The 27 is my daily carry as the 23 just bothered me while sitting all day at a desk.  I have put alot of .40 and 9mm through my 27 with a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel with no issues.

My standard 9mm load is 4.6gr Universal and a Montana Gold 115 and my .40 load is 5.6gr Universal and a Rainier 155.

The reason for 5.6gr is that is what the Hornady book shows is middle of the road while Hodgdon says 6.0gr is minium and after shooting a few hundred at that decided it was not worth it.

The 23 has a Storm Lake barrel in it currently but neither of the factory barrels bulged the brass very bad for me.

The G19 has just as much support as any other 9mm so there is no need for an aftermarket barrel in any 9mm Glock model.