< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: A solution to the open-carry protest problem  (Read 5858 times)

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: A solution to the open-carry protest problem
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »
+10 Bob!

Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 11:10:25 PM »
The only thing that perturbs me about Target girl is the sticker still on the shotgun stock. Why do people do that??? It's like leaving the plastic on your lampshades.  If I saw her I'd tell her that she has a nice little buttstock but needs to take the sticker off.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 09:33:44 AM »
The only thing that perturbs me about Target girl is the sticker still on the shotgun stock. Why do people do that??? It's like leaving the plastic on your lampshades.  If I saw her I'd tell her that she has a nice little buttstock but needs to take the sticker off.

The sticker and the fact she is using the buttstock to draw a line in the sand never to be crossed by lawful OC or CC.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:41:44 AM by farmerbob »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 10:41:12 AM »
"In your face" tactics seldom bring about the desired reaction from folks. The open carry of long guns in the news recently hasn't done anything positive for our cause. Unless I've missed something each reaction from corporate offices has been to ban it. A majority of comments heard from the public agree. That's a step in the wrong direction.

Maybe we should get folks used to seeing small guns, ie;, handguns, on our hips without panicking before we break out the AR's and AK's? I don't know what the answer is but it's kind of obvious carrying long guns in public isn't working.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 07:59:22 AM »
"In your face" tactics seldom bring about the desired reaction from folks. The open carry of long guns in the news recently hasn't done anything positive for our cause. Unless I've missed something each reaction from corporate offices has been to ban it. A majority of comments heard from the public agree. That's a step in the wrong direction.

Maybe we should get folks used to seeing small guns, ie;, handguns, on our hips without panicking before we break out the AR's and AK's? I don't know what the answer is but it's kind of obvious carrying long guns in public isn't working.
Honestly, as noted earlier in this thread, I don't think it is the OC that is causing the negative press as much as the OC at places that would rather be neutral in the fight. When Starbucks and Chipotle banned OC in their establishments the press releases didn't say they didn't support our right to carry. The reason they asked for people not to OC in the stores is because is draws them into a fight between people.

Don't get me wrong, I believe firmly OC is needed and is my right in this country. But maybe the best way to win the fight is like boiling a frog... turn the heat up one notch at a time. It much the same with the all the profanity we hear on TV shows that would never have made it through the censors 30 years ago.  We start with the OC events on the premises of places that DO openly support us and then as people realize that we aren't all freaks for wanting the to do what we have already have the to do (and that our firearms won't magically discharge at any moment) we begin doing OC in other places that have opened their doors.  Someone mentioned having a designated spokesman that will handle all the media questions so that it doesn't turn into a "redneck joke" in editing  sounds like another great idea.

Gary brought out the picture from Switzerland.  Don't I wish we could carry that way. (Lord, knows there have been many a time I would love to shoot my computer.) but a big difference between us and Europe is that they have had a more recent, and  far more memorable, encounter with people who want to kill them in their homes. They live with that reminder in their backyards every day.  We do not have anything that truly says, "Remember World War 2 and what it did to this city?" or "Remember what the Soviets did to this city 25 years ago?". I lived in Europe for a few years.  There are still buildings in the cities with bullet marks on them from the 1940s. This difference means that the American public has become soft and complacent with regard to the rights and privileges the founders of this country fought to insure we kept.

We need to defend our rights and keep defending them. Sometimes we need to offend to defend, but we also need to "boil the frog" so that we can win the war.  How do you think we got to the point where we have to have these conversations today?  The anti-gun movement boiled us frogs.

Pardon me while I go back to lurking again. ;)
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 08:10:29 PM »
I think somewhere along the line the government stopped working for the people and we became servants of the government, as time goes the government assumes more power and people willingly give it to them. This sounds like what our forefathers warned us about.

When the word "patriot" puts you on a terror list, something is definitely wrong in Mayberry.

+1

edit to add: 

GS, loved the link.  Well thought out and reasoned.  I'd be up for some of that, give me a reason to break out all those dress clothes I paid for when I was job hunting!
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 04:22:42 PM »
Bloomberg's return to private business also comes after the most visible gun control group he supports, Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense in America, only managed to convince five businesses--Chipotle, Jack in the Box, Chili's, Sonic, and Target--to ask law-abiding citizens to come to their stores unarmed. Moms Demand was able to get a sixth business--Starbucks--to ask customers who openly carry firearms not to be so flamboyant about it.

On the other side of the coin, Breitbart News recently reported that 57,000 businesses were fighting this push by putting a "guns welcome" sign on their front doors.

Seems things are not the doom and gloom that some predicted. Ground lost? No ground gained.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/09/03/With-Gun-Control-Push-Failing-Michael-Bloomberg-Returns-To-Private-Business
La Luz, NM

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 05:36:29 PM »
According to Armed American Radio, Kroger's is receiving more calls from mom's demand action than us.

They're asking us to call 1-800-576-4377 ext. 3 and thank them for not caving into Bloomberg's lies and please thank them for standing up for freedom.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 08:41:38 PM »
Let's do it!
La Luz, NM

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 08:44:26 PM »

I'm not sure how 'effective' open carry is at changing anyone's mind. I am sure that it is their right. People say stuff all the time that I don't like. Are these remarks always wise, advisable, nice, helpful, decent, etc? No. Is it their right to say it anyway? Almost always. What I like isn't the determining factor on others liberty. 

Really that simple. A right is a right, how popular it is among the rest of the population isn't the question. Now being a decent person that doesn't go out of your way to upset or offend others is a separate issue.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »
It's like the old adage, "the squeaky wheel always gets all the grease".

It's about time we started squeaking. :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:54:12 PM by farmerbob »

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 09:22:57 PM »
Thank you Bob.

That has been my point all along. When the grabbers start their complaining it means they are on the defensive. We should seize the opportunity every time to push back.

They are relatively few in number and it really doesn't take much to shut them down.
La Luz, NM

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »
Just called Kroger's, told them I'm glad to see that they are standing up for the constitutional rights of the their customers.  They were very friendly, wanted name, phone#, zip code, and store you shop at. I was lucky to have a Dillon's grocery store 45 min. south I sometimes shop at, looks like I will shop there more often.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 02:52:53 PM »
... Target--to ask law-abiding citizens to come to their stores unarmed. ...

So I've been wondering about this in the context of Nebraska law.  I saw the letter where Target "politely asked" people not to "bring" firearms but it was in the context of open carry demonstrations.  If a Nebraska store isn't posted, then CC is still OK, right?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 05:27:47 PM »

So I've been wondering about this in the context of Nebraska law.  I saw the letter where Target "politely asked" people not to "bring" firearms but it was in the context of open carry demonstrations.  If a Nebraska store isn't posted, then CC is still OK, right?

It is legal, but if they detect you have a firearm (which of course they shouldn't if it is concealed), and they ask you to leave, then you could be charged (trespassing?) if you don't comply.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »
It is legal, but if they detect you have a firearm (which of course they shouldn't if it is concealed), and they ask you to leave, then you could be charged (trespassing?) if you don't comply.

Fly

Thanks. That's what I thought, but then it means that these corporate "victories" by the Bloomberg group were hardly even that. At least not what the layperson reader would think when reading that article. For millions of CCW permit holders, nothing changed.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor