< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Defenseless in Illinois?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline 2550sx

• NFOA Full Member
Defenseless in Illinois?
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »
I'm going to a wedding in Illinois next Saturday. I know they do not honor NE CHP. so do i have to leave my self protection at home? I really don't want to travel all the way across Iowa without............. Anyone have any prior experience going there or passing through Ill. ???? Thanks for your input

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Defenseless in Illinois?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 01:10:47 PM »
Section 40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

Subsection (b) of Section 65 States:
(b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline KY57

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 03:55:14 PM »
I used to live in Illinois.
Before you hit the state line, unload your gun, put it in the case (without the mag and put the case somewhere not easily accessible (like the trunk).  There are a few cities I think with a handgun ban, so check out one of the ccw websites.

This may be above and beyond what is required, however I would rather not run into the cop who doesn't know the law, and have to fight a charge later in court.  The above is how I transported firearms for the time I lived in IL. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:58:38 PM by KY57 »

Offline 2550sx

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:54:29 AM »
thanks, going to a small town on the the iowa/ill border.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 07:06:20 AM »
Yep, just leave it in the car.  IL doesn't trust you, the average Joe.  Pay your taxes and shut up.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller