< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Does anyone use gunfreezoneapp  (Read 2409 times)

Offline cftj

• NFOA Full Member
Does anyone use gunfreezoneapp
« on: July 14, 2014, 06:36:43 PM »
Seems like a handy app once it gets going.  Seems pretty sparce, at least in Lincoln.
if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. - 2 Chronicles 7:14 ESV

Offline RN4Guns

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Does anyone use gunfreezoneapp
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
I use it in Omaha. Sparse here as well.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 08:46:38 PM »
Tried it.  Too sparse to be useful.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 09:21:54 PM »
I use "Posted!"  It seems to be pretty up to date
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 09:39:23 PM »
 whats a app?
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline rbrooks

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »
I use gunfreezone. I like it but it needs more local users to really be helpful.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:05:36 PM »
whats a app?

Assuming you are not jesting, an "app" is shorthand for "application".   An application is a software program that runs on a desktop or laptop computer on which an operating system resides.  An operating system, like Windows, Linux (I prefer Kubuntu, a Linux distro) or OS X actually runs the application when the user requests it, and handles the interface between the application and the hardware.  Some applications have a Graphical User Interface (GUI) and some are controlled using the keyboard in what is called a "terminal".

Before smartphones computer users usually referred to applications as "programs", in deference to the concept of programming, which is what software developers do.   When small form devices appeared, like iPad, iPhone and Android tablets and smartphones,  the programs developers wrote were called applications.  In order to avoid typing out that word it was reduces to "app" or "apps" and that name has taken over.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:07:41 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:45:41 PM »
Apps are making their way into PCs as well.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 12:05:29 AM »
Apps are making their way into PCs as well.

Apps have always been on PCs.  As GreyGeek stated, they were just called "programs" back in the day.  The difference between now and what we have traditionally seen in the past is that the PCs, laptops, smartphones, tablets, etc. are all being linked/integrated through similar programs which are now called "apps".

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 01:40:30 AM »
Remember when Best Buy had 6 isles of computer programs for sale?   

An app is a little different than a program.  IMHO.  Many apps are free, most programs are fee based.   Most apps have advertising and secret snooping about our personal habits.   Don't think programs used to do so much data mining as apps do today. 

Apps tend to rely on processor power through a data link, and not usually done in your device.   Most programs tend to do projects in house. 

Are apps and programs the same thing?  Maybe. 

My wife went to a funeral out of state, drove herself.  I could watch, in real time, as she drove along the Interstate.   I could talk to her via walke talke app in her phone (free), without her answering the phone.  Turn in three blocks (she gets lost sometimes)   I never had programs help out in such ways.

I can open up a free app that tells me where all the convicted sexual predators live in my neighborhood.   I don't think Best Buy had that program. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:46:17 AM by Gary »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 01:58:50 AM »
On android, Gun Free Zone is free, Posted is 99 cents.    I picked the one that leaves my weekly budget intact.  lol

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 02:28:04 AM »
OK this thread owes me $1.99.  lol  I purchased CCW  -  Concealed Carry 50 State

For some reason www.handgunlaw.us will not open on my smartphone.  Go figure. 

I'll let the thread know if I like the app. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:32:49 AM by Gary »

Offline RedBird

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 08:43:02 AM »
Just downloaded this app. Seems like it could be very useful but as others have said it needs more users. At least in the Omaha area.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 09:23:17 AM »
I can open up a free app that tells me where all the convicted sexual predators live in my neighborhood.   I don't think Best Buy had that program.

I know it seems like there is a difference between programs and apps, but what you are talking about is not a fundamental change in the software, it is a change in hardware capability.  The programmers are just exploring the full realm of user and device interaction.  This includes the data mining and advertisements.  Programmers are still programmers, not applicationers. 

My mom just turned 84 years old.  She remembers what cars used to be compared to what they are now.  Even though the cars today can talk to you and automatically apply braking in an emergency, they are still cars.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »
Remember when Best Buy had 6 isles of computer programs for sale?   

An app is a little different than a program.  IMHO.  Many apps are free, most programs are fee based.   Most apps have advertising and secret snooping about our personal habits.   Don't think programs used to do so much data mining as apps do today. 

I prefer to run Linux as the operating system on this 17" Acer laptop. Specifically, I use Kubuntu 14.04.  It is free.  ALL of the 70,000+ apps in the vetted repository (notice I used the word apps to refer to software) are FREE.  Only the walled gardens that surround Windows and Apple operating systems use "license" fees to allow access to or use of programs.   In Linux, not only are the apps free, but the GPL (General Public License) guarantees that a user of an app can have a copy of the source code that was compiled to produce the app, with the full rights to modify it and pass the modifications along.   My desktop is KDE 4.13.2, a desktop so powerful and easy to use that it is something that Windows and Mac always wanted to be, because they both borrowed heavily from it.  Indeed, the installation sequence (and look&feel) if the Win7 installation is almost a carbon copy of Kubuntu's look&feel, which has been around long before Win7 appeared.

As GPL licensed programs there are no intrusive ads or snooping on Kubuntu, and Linux in general.  I have been using Linux since May of 1998 and I have yet to see an ad pop up on any version I ran, except the two or three commercial version of Linux I tried in the distant past, which are no longer offered and which I abandon because they offered no advantages over the open source versions.

Apps tend to rely on processor power through a data link, and not usually done in your device.   Most programs tend to do projects in house.

That Apple or Android connects to a remote server via 3D wireless (or Internet)  and passes your request to it for parsing on its more powerful system is not characteristic of small form factor programs.    What you think is new has been around for decades as a "client-server" relationship.  I wrote software for the state of Nebraska which allowed remote offices around the state to connect via the Internet (and later wirelessly) to my main program running on in-house servers which also connected to databases on the back end.  All the out-state agents were running was the client, a GUI which presented the user with menu options, buttons, textboxs, dropdown combos, etc..., that set up a SQL (Standard Query Language) command which was passed over the Internet to the server, which executed the SQL query and then set the result set of record(s) back to the client for display or editing.  The database that contained the records was too big to fit on a remote laptop or smaller form factor.   A laptop or desktop can do the same.  Indeed, the apps that run on your smartphone can run on the laptop was well, or has laptop version which can.  The only difference is the allowances in the app that are made for the form factor the app is running on.  Ubuntu, for example, has the Unity interface, which detects which form factor the GUI is running on and presents the appropriate form factor interface.  Mac OS X does the same.  Windows tried but its offerings have been rejected by the market place and is at less than 6% market share and falling. Microsoft announced the abandonment of Surface Mini yesterday, just a few days after it announced the layoff of around 18,000 employees.

Are apps and programs the same thing?  Maybe. 
They definitely are.  They begin life as source code created by a developer whose edits the source code using  software called an "editor".  After editing,  the developer uses software called a "compiler", which produces one or more machine language files called "object" files.  The object files are linked together to form a binary executable by software called a "linker".  Sometimes, the compiler and linker are combined into one program, which produces the binary executable directly.   The binary program in Windows is signified by an extension of "somename.exe" where "exe" stands for "executable".  Before Windows became a 32bit operating system its executable extension was "com", short for "command", because before the advent of graphical user interface desktops computer uses issued commands using a console based interface, often called a terminal.  Besides com's and exe's a text file containing a sequence of terminal commands, called a "batch" file, has an extension of "bat".   Bill Gate's operating system has a defect.  A file can have more than one extension: someprogram.exe.jpg.  When using a terminal or a file manager Windows parses right to left and only shows the name and the last extension, so someprogram.exe.jpg appears as someprogram.jpg.  However, when a command to execute it is given the operating system parses the name from left to right and sees someprogram.exe.  So what the user "thought" was a graphic jpg file is actually a binary executable.  Since Windows, because of what are called dynamic linked libraries (.dll) that create an ActiveX control, can execute an executable that exists in memory and not on the hard disk, Windows can execute binaries that are attached as "graphical" files to emails.

In Linux there are no extensions.  An email attachment can be executed
1) ONLY if it is present on the disk, and
2) ONLY if it is of the type ELF  (Executable Linux File) or a special bash script (.sh) and
3) ONLY if the file's as the execute permission bit set.
The user MUST save the attachment to the hard disk.  The user MUST set the execute permission bit.  The user MUST give the command to execute.

That's why hackers can generate bot farms containing MILLIONS of Windows systems within hours or a few days of sending out a single infected email.  Mac, on the other hand, was based on a Linux variant called FreeBSD, which led to Darwin, from which Apple exploited a lot of free labor from FOSS developers, before stealing Konqueror (KDE's browser), renaming it Safari,  and releasing their first Unix based computer.  Being Unix based, as is Linux and BSD,  it has security paradigms built in from the ground up, present in the separation of users domains from admin ("root") domains, and using fine grained file based permission bits.  You don't hear of giant Apple Mac bot farms.  For the same reason, you don't hear of Linux bot farms either.   Linux runs about 80% of all Internet servers and Windows runs around 15-17%, but essentially ALL of the millions of viruses, Trojans and malware comes from those Windows servers. 

My wife went to a funeral out of state, drove herself.  I could watch, in real time, as she drove along the Interstate.   I could talk to her via walke talke app in her phone (free), without her answering the phone.  Turn in three blocks (she gets lost sometimes)   I never had programs help out in such ways.

I always track my children and relatives from my laptop  when they take trips using airlines.  When they drive I can communicate to them via several programs available (Mumble is a good one) and track their map location if their smartphone is set to allow such tracking.  All that is needed is an Internet connection, regardless of the form factor of the device.

Best Buy  would not offer a program to track sexual predators because there is no profit in doing so. Such information IS available to desktops and laptops because the source of such information is the Internet, and an HTML server offering such information doesn't care about the device which made the connection.  Here is one of DOZENS of offerings of such information for my zip code:
http://www.familysafetyclub.com/dashboard/monitoring_report?aff=jeru14&tid=NE&zip_code=68516
Where does the "familysafetyclub" get such information?  From the source:
https://sor.nebraska.gov/Registry
a Nebraska government website.  A similar search of my area found the ones listed by "familysafetyclub" and several more that they missed.
https://sor.nebraska.gov/Registry/Search?LocationStreet=3821+Eagle+Ridge+Road&LocationCity=Lincoln&LocationZipCode=68516&Radius=2&SearchType=Location
In checking that list of predators scattered around the map I noticed on that is two houses away from where my daughter lives.  I just emailed her that location .... from my laptop, with nothing more than FireFox as a browser and gmail as my email client.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:42:06 AM by GreyGeek »