< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Steel Challenge - July 27, 2014 @ ENGC  (Read 7285 times)

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Steel Challenge - July 27, 2014 @ ENGC
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 08:46:25 AM »
And last but not least, you'll get to hang out with some great folks. 

I had a great time at this match and agree with the above.  It was great to meet a bunch of great folks as well as see so many familiar faces.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 09:15:25 AM »

Lorimor:

Please take heart from my own sterling example of ultra-rapid handgunnery progress.

In the past month, I've rapidly progressed from Total DQ to Absolutely Dead Last:  Open Class (35/35) to maybe 3-4-5 or so up from the very bottom of the Open classification in yesterday's Steel Challenge.

Growth at warp speed, that.

If you or anybody wants, I'll give certified lessons.   All that needs to be done is to pay for range fees, ammo, and loan of Kimber Commander or Officer's Model (or moral equivalent) for an indeterminate period of time.

Jeez....if I can progress so well so fast, I can teach you or anybody................

[Note:  This special offer only applies to SuperSeniors and Above.]

sfg

Well darn.  I'm only a Senior.  No wonder I'm not progressing at warp speed.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 10:26:32 AM »
I'm only a Senior.  No wonder I'm not progressing at warp speed.

In the immortal words of Joe Dirt,

"Just Keep On Keepin' On........"

You'll get there.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 10:28:57 AM »
In the past month, I've rapidly progressed from Total DQ to Absolutely Dead Last:  Open Class (35/35) to maybe 3-4-5 or so up from the very bottom of the Open classification in yesterday's Steel Challenge.

Now now---you weren't in Open division, you were shooting Production.

Completely different thing.

:)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 01:29:17 PM »
Now now---you weren't in Open division, you were shooting Production.
Completely different thing

jth:   Thanks for making me go look at the match results again.

Because the scorelist opened at the OPEN Division listing.   I musta scrolled right past the PRODUCTION Division list heading without seeing it.   So---Thought my scores had been inadvertently posted to OPEN.   

But since bad shooting is bad shooting no matter which division, I decided not to bother you orDC-Julie about the perceived "miscategorization" and just go sit quietly in the corner and sulk.   As it turns out, my scores were posted entirely correctly; I just scampered through the list too quickly.

Anyhow, you're gonna want to claim me as a student, with all that jetlike improvement in such a short time.

However, TE is surely getting sick and tired by now of telling me to get my shirt-tail out of my holster.   Probably should be a procedural.   Two matches in a row.  Won't be a third time.

Good News:   I keep getting squadded with the  USPSA A-Team shooters, which is great, because watching those folks up close is a good way to observe and absorb good practices.

Finally:   The voluntary work you Match Organizer Folks do is just pretty darn impressive.   And sincerely appreciated.

That's about it.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 01:36:30 PM »
Deleted:  duplicate post
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 01:40:27 PM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »
Good News:   I keep getting squadded with the  USPSA A-Team shooters, which is great, because watching those folks up close is a good way to observe and absorb good practices.

Now, some of the other squads might want to argue with that...in the interest of supporting their squads...  :)

Your squad (squad 6) had two shooters in the top ten for Centerfire Pistol for the match....but so did another squad....and one other squad had FOUR in the top ten.

(Wasn't my squad, though, darn it.  We only had two.)

Now, squad 3 had (for main match shooters, meaning centerfire pistol shooters) the lowest average match time per shooter at 132.80 seconds, with squad 5 in second place at 148.56 seconds, with other squads at 157, 165, 186, and 238 seconds respectively....

Squad 2, however, had the most shooters in the top 25% of the main match finish.

I personally, of course think that "top squad" should be ranked by average match time---but then again, I was in squad 3.  :)  In defense of that, though, we DO run Steel Challenge by total match times...

I note I'm completely ignoring the Rimfire division in this, because they cheat with cheater guns, like those people who shoot rimfire rifles with dots on them.  :P

(Though Sean was a LITTLE bit slower than usual, and only destroyed the top centerfire shooter by 16.65 seconds.  Which doesn't sound like much, until you realize that means the top centerfire shooter got only 80.24% of his score.) 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2014, 05:31:43 PM »
Your squad (squad 6) had two shooters in the top ten for Centerfire Pistol for the match....but so did another squad....and one other squad had FOUR in the top ten.

Now that this information is out, the Match Organizers will receive calls from some branch of the Feds insisting to know the plan for spreading out those Top Shooters evenly to all teams.

Just sayin'.............

sfg
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:34:31 PM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 06:08:56 PM »
Now, some of the other squads might want to argue with that...in the interest of supporting their squads...  :)

(Wasn't my squad, though, darn it.  We only had two.)

Now, squad 3 had (for main match shooters, meaning centerfire pistol shooters) the lowest average match time per shooter at 132.80 seconds, with squad 5 in second place at 148.56 seconds, with other squads at 157, 165, 186, and 238 seconds respectively....

Squad 2, however, had the most shooters in the top 25% of the main match finish.

I personally, of course think that "top squad" should be ranked by average match time---but then again, I was in squad 3.  :)  In defense of that, though, we DO run Steel Challenge by total match times...

I note I'm completely ignoring the Rimfire division in this, because they cheat with cheater guns, like those people who shoot rimfire rifles with dots on them.  :P

(Though Sean was a LITTLE bit slower than usual, and only destroyed the top centerfire shooter by 16.65 seconds.  Which doesn't sound like much, until you realize that means the top centerfire shooter got only 80.24% of his score.) 

Hmm.  Squad three.  Three.  Dynamic Pie Concepts.  Three words.  Coincidence?  I think not.

I saw several members of the vaunted squad applying DPC's revolutionary techniques throughout the day.   Steel Challenge will never be the same. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2014, 06:23:04 PM »
Hmm.  Squad three.  Three.  Dynamic Pie Concepts.  Three words.  Coincidence?  I think not.

I saw several members of the vaunted squad applying DPC's revolutionary techniques throughout the day.   Steel Challenge will never be the same. 

The problem is, of course, that in Steel Challenge we really SHOULDN'T be applying the "Sweep the Leg Drill" to the target posts.

Whoops.  (On the good side, I don't think we ever quite brought down a post through fire on Sunday, though it certainly has happened in the past...)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2014, 06:57:25 PM »

I noticed that on your shirt..... I was wondering, does Dynamic Pie Concepts make a good French Silk or Coconut cream pie? In search of a good pie

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2014, 09:41:28 PM »

I noticed that on your shirt..... I was wondering, does Dynamic Pie Concepts make a good French Silk or Coconut cream pie? In search of a good pie

You really need to get up to speed on your tacticality.  :)