< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: considering a new job....carry ?s  (Read 2733 times)

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
considering a new job....carry ?s
« on: July 19, 2014, 08:42:46 AM »
Hello.....I have been offered a position at another company that seems to be better in most of the categories that I consider important.
The job stability/security is the one area that I'm not sure about just because I haven't worked there to see what it's like.... I think that it will be worth the risk!

Where I currently work there is a 'no weapons' policy which I find difficult to follow because I have a company work van that I drive home daily...& I don't like being that UnArmed Caveman!

At the job that I'm considering I would Not have a work van, at least not for a while & I was having trouble finding the state laws specific to my questions & locations that I would likely have to go for this new job...

Are there any locations, parking lots, parking garages where a Nebraska CHP holder is not allowed to keep a handgun securely stored in their personal vehicle?

A few examples of the type of places where I would likely be working.... Airport, First National Tower, Industrial Plants, & other buildings downtown which are probably all Posted.

As far as the airport parking, I'm not really sure where I would be parking and if its covered under state or federal laws...

I appreciate any input or links that you guys provide!  I did some research myself & wasn't terribly satisfied with the sources I found....thanks!

The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: considering a new job....carry ?s
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »
Short answer ..... No....

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »
Airport, no problems what-so-ever.  Does not matter where you park.
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:19:06 AM »

Short answer ..... No....

Where I work weapons are specifically banned on company property. This includes personel vehicles.
The property is gated and fenced, you must go thru security gates to enter with a pass, all vehicles are subject to search coming and going. I am randomly searched 1-2 times a month, what they are looking for most is, guns/ammo, alcohol, tools/property belonging to the company.
So if I wanted to push the issue and try to tell them I have a CHP and can leave it in my vehicle, I would be fired.
This is a chance I can't take, so I am effectively disarmed most of the time.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:58:23 PM »
I hope your current employer doesn't frequent this site... As for weapons policies and work, that often is the breaking point for otherwise avid CHP holders. That's why I would like the law passed that allows a person to store their firearm locked securely in their car without fear of reprisal, but then I think property rights... ugh! My old company was owned by a private equity group out of Chicago, and they had a strict parking lot restriction as well.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 08:48:17 AM »
I accepted the new job offer & I start tomorrow. Unfortunately I have no idea what the new companies policy is yet.

For the time being I will be driving my own vehicle & will not be parking in a company parking lot....I will be driving straight from my house to whatever location that I will be working that day....

I will probably leave my ccw at home until I feel out the situation. There is a large industrial plant where I'm guessing I would park in their gated lot...there are also buildings downtown where I would park in their parking garages

I am ready for some new challenges!  I spent 9 years & 7 months at my previous employer mostly doing new construction. Now I will be doing mostly Electrical Service work! 

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 07:37:06 PM »
Justin, good luck in your new endeavor.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »
There must be job mobility in the air here recently. A lot of my friends and family are in the midst of a career change, myself included. I only have one week left at my company that I've been at for just over 5 years.

Dang I'm gonna miss that place, and the people (including you, CliffD) but sometimes there are opportunities that you just can't pass up.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 11:41:34 PM »
Thank you Greg! & there must be something in the air A.wick....I went back & forth in my mind for months over this move, then one day I got the call & slept on it for one night & went for it!  No Nuts No Glory!  Or so I hope.

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 08:56:09 AM »
...there must be something in the air...

You can thank Obama's stimulus package.   ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 09:23:35 AM »
Congratulations on the new position.  If you ever want to consider being a service electrician for a gun friendly electrical contractor let me know. 
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 03:04:38 PM »
Good luck on all those new positions.  jFade, now maybe we can get you up to the CB gun club for some shoots on Sundays.

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 06:23:09 PM »
Congratulations on the new position.  If you ever want to consider being a service electrician for a gun friendly electrical contractor let me know. 

It seems like I might right now...today was my first day & the employee handbook doesn't address weapons of any kind & I saw a gun safe in both of the owners offices....I still need to order a belt asap! Can you send me the info I need to measure myself? 

Good luck on all those new positions.  jFade, now maybe we can get you up to the CB gun club for some shoots on Sundays.

Sounds like a winner!  & if I do have to ever work a Sunday I will be getting paid doubleTime!  I don't think I have ever been paid double time in my life

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline TwoSwords

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 03:56:17 PM »
You will need to get the protection into the State Statute.

KS Example - except that no employer may prohibit possession of a handgun in a private means of conveyance, even if parked on the employer’s premises; or
75-7c10. Same; Restrictions on Carrying Concealed Handgun on Certain Property; Exceptions; Penalties for Violations.

If caught they can just make something up and fire you anyway put at least the parking lot protection is there.