< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Federal Judge Rules Aurora, CO Theater Shooting "Foreseeable"  (Read 876 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills

Offline Sandhillian

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Federal Judge Rules Aurora, CO Theater Shooting "Foreseeable"
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 04:07:23 PM »
I think it's bad for everyone in general.  Why should anyone be held to a standard where they have to foresee a situation where a deranged lunatic enters their establishment and commits a mass murder?  In such a situation, it's best to take responsibility for your safety into your own hands.

I don't buy into the position that the survivors and the victims' families have staked out here.  The theater should be responsible for the safety of its patrons if you're talking about the physical conditions of the premises, but asking the theater to be responsible for the actions of an individual, who in this case was unstable, is crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed.

These types of tragedies are unforeseeable by their very nature.  Sure they happen and are a possibility, but if they were "foreseeable" their results wouldn't be so devastating.

In order to prevent these "foreseeable" mass murders in the future, is every establishment going to have to hire a security team and install metal detectors?

Place the blame where it should be...on the guy pulling the trigger.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 04:24:03 PM »
My preliminary opinion...I don't think this is good for anyone. It mentions nothing about CHP, so that will not be a benefit. These ambulance chasers just want to collect money from someone, anyone. How is a business or manufacturer supposed to plan for EVERY possible event, especially when brought on by a mentally deranged person?

This reminds me of when a helicopter crashed near Lincoln. The crash was clearly due to pilot negligence. The pilot hit a fixed object with the tail rotor. If you don't know anything about helicopters, this virtually renders the aircraft uncontrollable. Final result is an out of control rotation of the aircraft. The pilots instinctive (yet futile) reaction is to mash the counteracting foot pedal to the floor. In this case the pilots response resulted in the pedal being bent all to hell. Amazing what strength you can muster as soon as your sphincter slams shut.

The owner's attorney came out to survey the wreckage. When he saw the bent pedal, he asked if it was designed to bend like that. When he was told "No", he said "You know, we could sue and get some money for that".

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 05:30:26 PM »
I am not sure if this is good or bad either.   However the theater was one that banned concealed carry on the premises.  I also do not know if this is true, but I remember reading that the shooter drove past several other theaters that did not ban concealed carry to the one he attacked.

John K

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 11:09:09 PM »
I am not sure if this is good or bad either.   However the theater was one that banned concealed carry on the premises.  I also do not know if this is true, but I remember reading that the shooter drove past several other theaters that did not ban concealed carry to the one he attacked.

John K

That's a double edged sword.  By telling the property owner they have to allow CC (if it came to that) is taking away property owner rights.  I'm not sure if I like that idea either.  Regardless, it is like a cow's opinion (moot) because it doesn't seem to matter in this case.  I don't believe the article said anything about CC let alone blaming the theatre for not allowing it.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum