< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: PRT: Movement Seminar, August 16th  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: PRT: Movement Seminar, August 16th
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 05:50:59 PM »
I've often heard "footwork" mentioned when reading about practical pistol shooting and shooters.  I never gave it much thought though.  Okay, you run to the next shooting position and open fire.   That's all there is to it, right?  It's not rocket science, right?

Well um, no, not really.  You've got to plan.   Where does your lead foot need to land when you arrive at the next shooting position?  Doesn't it make sense to have the gun up, at eye level, before leaning out from behind a barricade?  Maybe even have it up there before you arrive at the next position?  And shouldn't you have an idea where the first target is in relation to the barricade before you lean out?  Maybe picking out landmarks on the barricade itself to help orient yourself?  It's a whole new world! 

Body mechanics are obviously important if your goal is to shoot at a high level.   It's important even if your goal is to simply improve your match performance and scores by shaving time off your runs.

To my shame, I never gave any of this stuff much thought.   :-[  (Maybe I was just too wrapped up in simply learning to hit targets.)

The spring started to leave my legs by the end of the morning and executing the split step wasn't pretty to watch.  But now I have a pretty good idea how to practice the move and improve. 

Handgun shooting.... seems there's an infinite amount of things to learn, practice and improve.   And one can never ignore the basics either, like a good trigger press (which can always be improved IMHO.)

What I learned this morning will definitely improve my times.  All I have to do is practice.   

I highly recommend this class to anyone looking to improve. 

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:03:44 PM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 06:17:41 PM »
I learned quite a bit - it's all stuff that when you have it explained to you, you say "duh, why haven't I been doing that?".  But, without someone to point it out you just don't think about it.  The methods we worked on for starting from a standing position were very helpful to me.  Despite the fact that I completely blew my last run of the day I do feel like I improved a lot.  The proof will be in tomorrow's multigun match.  I would also highly recommend this class for anyone interested in any kind of action shooting.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 06:35:47 PM »
Oh yeah, and my legs were already sore from the gym, but holy cow am I sore now. :)

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 08:29:48 PM »
Very informative.  Amazing the number of small things that turn into major time sucks.  Now about that pesky marksmanship thing :laugh:

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 08:50:01 PM »
When are you going to have another one of these...WHEN I'M IN TOWN?!

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
When are you going to have another one of these...WHEN I'M IN TOWN?!

But---what if we don't want you to get better? 
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 04:27:26 PM »
But---what if we don't want you to get better? 

Et tu, Brute?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum