< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha, CCW, and Registration  (Read 1943 times)

Offline calebgh

• NFOA Full Member
Omaha, CCW, and Registration
« on: July 28, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »
Guys,

Need a little help.  The family and I are heading to Omaha and I need a little clarification on the whole registration of concealable weapons.  The way I read it if I have a CHL then it doesn't apply to me.  Is that right?

C

Offline H2O_King89

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Omaha, CCW, and Registration
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »
Your CHL will work in any township or city. Only if you live in Omaha without a CHL the firearm must be registered.

If you open carry you must have a permit. I don't think the CHL covers open carry.

There was a law pass that states that no city or township can ban a CCW.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 11:51:47 AM »
I don't think the CHL covers open carry.

If you have a Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit or a Concealed Permit from another state (and resident thereof) you may carry concealed OR open in Omaha to your heart's delight..... and said handgun(s) do NOT need to be registered with OPD.

Offline H2O_King89

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »

If you have a Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit or a Concealed Permit from another state (and resident thereof) you may carry concealed OR open in Omaha to your heart's delight.....
Thank you for the correction. Learn something new everyday[emoji1]

Offline calebgh

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »
awesome and thanks for the quick reply.  Sounds like it would be crazy to reside in Omaha without a CCW permit to me.

C

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:04:41 PM »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »
before I had my CCW
I had purchased a handgun in Fremont while living in Omaha.
Owned handgun for over 2 years before deciding to register it, while at the PD I got a dirty look from the lady behind the counter/bulletproof glass when she found out.

oh well.....

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 01:07:07 AM »
before I had my CCW
I had purchased a handgun in Fremont while living in Omaha.
Owned handgun for over 2 years before deciding to register it, while at the PD I got a dirty look from the lady behind the counter/bulletproof glass when she found out.

oh well.....

Oh puhleeze.  The people at the desk don't care whether you've had your gun for 2 years or 2 hours before registering your gun.  Its just a pain in the ass process and you may have been the 22nd guy to come through to register their gun on that shift.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 08:05:28 AM »
well thanks for being there and witnessing it otherwise I wouldn't have known what was going on.........
can you tell me how my wedding night really went as well, don't want to misremember that too

the lady working at the PD also didn't know what color my gun was, or where to find the serial number on it even though she was holding it looking at it for an extended time. She ended up asking someone else there what color it was. after she moved her thumb she found the serial number, just took way longer than it needed to.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 08:59:50 AM »
can you tell me how my wedding night really went as well, don't want to misremember that too

Now THAT was funny.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Gantry

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 10:36:24 AM »

If you have a Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit or a Concealed Permit from another state (and resident thereof) you may carry concealed OR open in Omaha to your heart's delight..... and said handgun(s) do NOT need to be registered with OPD.

Perhaps the phrasing is slightly off or maybe my comprehension is lacking but by stating "or a Concealed Permit from another state (and resident thereof)"you seem to be saying that, for example, a resident of Missouri that carries on an Arizona permit cannot carry at all in Omaha.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 10:43:54 AM »
for example, a resident of Missouri that carries on an Arizona permit cannot carry at all in Omaha.
Nebraska honors non-resident permits from the states they honor.  So in your example, that person could legally carry in Omaha.  However, they would not be exempt from the Omaha registration ordinance as it is written.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 11:28:51 AM »
Oh puhleeze.  The people at the desk don't care whether you've had your gun for 2 years or 2 hours before registering your gun.

FWIW, while registering a handgun @ OPD (despite not being required to do so by virtue of NE CHP), the OPD Guy began asking me pointed questions about where I obtained the handgun, how long I had possessed it, where it had been stored, etc., etc.

I gently reminded him that nothing in Omaha MuniCode 20-251 requires this kind of information for registration of the handgun.

He then quit asking questions and got on with the registration process.   However, his overall demeanor, as demonstrated through facial expressions, bodily posture, and all the other non-verbal projections was thenceforth decidedly overtly negative.

Just reporting what happened when I visited with the local public servants.   Could have been interpreted as mild harrassment of the handgun-owning citizenry.  Maybe.  Maybe not.

sfg
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:37:12 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer