< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Motorcycle Riding NFOA Members  (Read 5199 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Harley Riding NFOA Members
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 02:30:01 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a Triumph that didn't have blued pipes.

Nice traditional look to it. Kinda reminds me of the old '69 Honda CL350 that I drove around Lincoln when I lived there, until I stepped up to a Kaw CSR1000.  8)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 04:06:36 PM »
A Sportster was not on my list.  If I trade up, I'll probably go to a Harley - FXST or FXDL.

Brought this home last night.
Nice scoot! Happy birthday to you.
I have an 05 FXDLI and love everything about it. Would be nice to have the 103  and 6th gear instead of the 88 but with the stage II intake and modded software it has plenty of zip.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »
Its tough to keep chrome from bluing, but you can try Blue-Job. Its a powder that you add water to, makes a kind of paste that you apply, and then buff off. It works, not great, but it is better than most anything else I've seen.

Of course, you could just wrap the pipes and not worry about shiny bits:) (Thats the rat-rod in me talking)

Yeah ... I like the chrome look with the classic looks of the bike.  Even the blue is kind of growing on me.

landon, the Tim is back from Nevada but I doubt I could get it (him) to work on my exhaust. :D

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »
Nice scoot. Sorry I just saw this thread, would have been happy to throw in my 2 cents as I might know a little something about bikes and riding.  8)  I would be game for a little NFOA ride if anyone is ever interested.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 09:01:59 PM »
Well if you like beer and or cigars I'm sure you could get me to help

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 09:50:15 PM »
Nice bike & congratulations.  I had a Triumph many years ago and it still holds a special place in my heart after all these years.  They are nice boulevard cruisers and you will get many miles of pleasure out of it.   For the long distance stuff, you will surely want to step up some day and also have the capability to haul those "necessary" items with you (saddlebags).  I've had several Harleys (big & not-so-big) and loved every one of them.  My current ride is a Road King.  It's a versatile style of bike that one can add on items with detachable mounts...depending upon how much garbage you want to hang on it at the time....or lose it all for a stripped down solo ride.  For two-up riding, it's a dream.  With the tour-pak on it the wife will kick back and virtually take a cat nap for a few miles (no chance of falling off because of the integrated arm rests).  I use a recurve windshield that deflects the air over the top of both our helmets, so no buffeting at all....even at 100+mph.  We do touring and have a ball....Sturgis & Tail of the Dragon are the meccas of the motorcycle kingdom....put those on your bucket list if you haven't been there already.  BTW, conceal carry vests work the best for riding in case you are now considering carry options.    See you out there and ride safe!
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 04:52:28 AM »
You thought I was organizing an open carry poker ride didn't you.  :laugh:

Nah, I'm just asking a few questions.  I have a big birthday coming up and have been looking at getting a Harley as a gift to myself.  I found one on Craigslist that looks pretty good but I'm a Harley newb.

The bike is a 2000 FXST with under 10,000 miles on it.  New rear tire.  Legal ape hangers.  Screaming Eagle slip-ons.  Looks like a pretty nice bike in the pictures.  Sounds like it might have been dropped or laid down at low speed.  It had some scraped parts - primary cover, clutch control, minor rub on the tank decal.  The parts have been replaced with new HD take-offs but it still has the rub spot on the tank decal.

I'm not looking for a show bike or a long-distance cruiser, just a fun around town bike - maybe some short trips ... couple hundred miles or so.

Anything about this vintage, make and model that I should look for in particular?  10,000 miles seems fairly low for a 14 year-old bike.  I asked if it had been sitting for a long period of time.  No.  Just not ridden much.

What am I missing?
Congrats on the Triumph.  You purchased a great deal of heritage. 

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but as a biker, you should take a motorcycle rider safety class. 

come get me, ill take it with you.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 07:45:49 AM »
Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but as a biker, you should take a motorcycle rider safety class. 

come get me, ill take it with you.

I'm scheduled to take one at Dillon Brothers Harley here in Omaha (about 3.5 minutes from my house).  Feel free to come on up if you want.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 07:48:55 AM »
they have those classes going a lot behind the sams club at 132nd and Industrial

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 10:44:33 AM »
they have those classes going a lot behind the sams club at 132nd and Industrial

I think that's the Nebraska Safety Council.  Since Dillon's is right by my house I figured I'd go there.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Motorcycle Riding NFOA Members
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »
Just changed the title of this thread from "Harley Riding ..." to "Motorcycle Riding ..." since I ended up with a Triumph instead of a Harley.  :laugh: