< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Motorcycle Riding NFOA Members  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Motorcycle Riding NFOA Members
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:53:39 AM »
You thought I was organizing an open carry poker ride didn't you.  :laugh:

Nah, I'm just asking a few questions.  I have a big birthday coming up and have been looking at getting a Harley as a gift to myself.  I found one on Craigslist that looks pretty good but I'm a Harley newb.

The bike is a 2000 FXST with under 10,000 miles on it.  New rear tire.  Legal ape hangers.  Screaming Eagle slip-ons.  Looks like a pretty nice bike in the pictures.  Sounds like it might have been dropped or laid down at low speed.  It had some scraped parts - primary cover, clutch control, minor rub on the tank decal.  The parts have been replaced with new HD take-offs but it still has the rub spot on the tank decal.

I'm not looking for a show bike or a long-distance cruiser, just a fun around town bike - maybe some short trips ... couple hundred miles or so.

Anything about this vintage, make and model that I should look for in particular?  10,000 miles seems fairly low for a 14 year-old bike.  I asked if it had been sitting for a long period of time.  No.  Just not ridden much.

What am I missing?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:45:33 AM by Mudinyeri »

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Harley Riding NFOA Members
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:00:39 AM »
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:14:12 AM by barmandr »

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:10:40 AM »
that bike books for less than the asking price.

I have owned 2 bikes 1 Victory and 1 Harley, bought both damaged and replaced parts myself, so you're right to not let that scare you off.

KBB isn't the end all of auto value but according to KBB that bike isn't worth $7200
bike has a trade in value of just over $5000.
I'd ask him why he is selling it, if he says to buy a new bike then you know the dealership offered him around $5000 for it.

NADA lists an "average market value" of $6,300, thats without the stigma of it being dropped.

sweet bike though

I also wouldn't rule out a Victory, lots of power, great hwy bikes
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:15:41 AM by landon410 »

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:25:36 AM »
real riders dont need ape hangers.

You want a bike to ride or something to look cool outside the bar?

btw - price too high for age.

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 10:44:26 AM »
i had an 06 XLR1200 for a bit for an around town bike, it had high buckhorn type bars
took those off ran a 2 inch riser with drag bars.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »
I realize that he's asking over book.  He buys and sells bikes.  Not looking to trade it for a new bike.

Not sure what you mean by "real" riders, 66bigblock.  Maybe I'm not a "real" rider since I haven't ridden in about 30 years.  I'm also looking at a Triumph Bonneville.  Do "real" riders ride those?

Mentioning that ape hangers aren't particularly comfortable, on the other hand, is valuable information.  Thanks, landon410.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:11:22 PM »
Bonnies are still around, its just a matter of preference.

Hangars at the right height are okay, but some people think 18 inches is the right height, and it's not.

barmandr hit the nail on the head. there are many, many options available that have not been dropped, and are a better value than that Harley. Unless you WANT a Harley.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 12:38:12 PM »
something else to think about, if you're just going to use it to piss around town and short rides and if you're not a very big guy a 1200 sportster isn't a terrible choice either.

I'm 6'4 225 and ran one all over Omaha to Norfolk and back a couple times and just all around the interstate just for the hell of it and it has plenty of power

about time I got to Wisner on 275 I wasn't very comfortable anymore but again I had no windshield and didn't have a comfortable seat, but powerwise no problem.

I'd all together avoid an 883 though, they are wanting for power bad once you get past 60. My only experience with an 883 was riding a friend when we switched bikes for ride to fremont and back.

Triumph is a good choice though, I really dig the Thruxtons

I think with motorcycles as it is with guns, find one, ride it compare it to others and pick whats most comfortable and fits your needs most.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »
Only beef I have with the Thruxton is the seat. Or lack thereof. Other than that, give to me...:)

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:31:28 PM »

Mentioning that ape hangers aren't particularly comfortable, on the other hand, is valuable information.  Thanks, landon410.

By "real riders" I meant someone that wants to actually get out and ride and put on some miles.  Not just take it two miles to the local bar and get a front row parking spot. 

Landon410 said what I meant, just more direct :)

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »

By "real riders" I meant someone that wants to actually get out and ride and put on some miles.  Not just take it two miles to the local bar and get a front row parking spot. 

Landon410 said what I meant, just more direct :)

66bigblock

Well, I'm not much for bars so that won't be me.  I'll probably go for a few 20-30 mile cruises in the evenings.  Maybe something a little longer on the weekends.

landon410, I'm not a big guy.  5' 10", 160 lbs.  That's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward the Bonneville.  I'm not set on a Harley but I liked the bike that I mentioned in my OP.

Going to look at the Bonneville this evening.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 04:24:12 PM »
If you ever plan on trading up to a bigger / better bike don't even consider a Sportster. You will lose you @$$. They flooded the market with them and the trade in values are and always will be very low. Most people that finance a Sportster will ALWAYS be upside down on debt to value ratio.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 10:22:35 AM »
If you ever plan on trading up to a bigger / better bike don't even consider a Sportster. You will lose you @$$. They flooded the market with them and the trade in values are and always will be very low. Most people that finance a Sportster will ALWAYS be upside down on debt to value ratio.

A Sportster was not on my list.  If I trade up, I'll probably go to a Harley - FXST or FXDL.

Brought this home last night.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 10:40:22 AM »
wanted a Harley and came home with a Triumph.... I think that is some thread creep....

Nice clean looking bike. I did quiet a few repaints on them when I worked at the shop. White pinstripes on the tank and fenders look really nice. Breaks up all the black.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 10:49:55 AM »
well happy birthday to youself!

and if you want to keep it in my garage I'll make sure it doesnt collect dust or anything for you.
I'm willing to do that for an NFOA member

and if you ever get bored and want to shovel money on a project Bitter End Choppers out of Iowa makes a kit for Triumphs

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 11:10:37 AM »
wanted a Harley and came home with a Triumph.... I think that is some thread creep....

Nice clean looking bike. I did quiet a few repaints on them when I worked at the shop. White pinstripes on the tank and fenders look really nice. Breaks up all the black.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Well, a Harley was one of the bikes on my list. :D

Want to do a re-paint on a front fender for me?

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »
Good looking scoot Toby!

now polish the blue out of those head pipes...

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 01:35:07 PM »
Good looking scoot Toby!

now polish the blue out of those head pipes...

Thanks.  Any recommendations for polishing?

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »
Thanks.  Any recommendations for polishing?

Its tough to keep chrome from bluing, but you can try Blue-Job. Its a powder that you add water to, makes a kind of paste that you apply, and then buff off. It works, not great, but it is better than most anything else I've seen.

Of course, you could just wrap the pipes and not worry about shiny bits:) (Thats the rat-rod in me talking)

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 01:47:03 PM »
there is this thing out there that I think would do a good job polishing your new bike, Its not really a machine, but I think it you gave it a couple volts it would work petty quick
Its called a Tim

I think right now they are located in Arizona or somewhere in that region

my heat shields were are road rashed up so I took them off and wrapped my pipes, its not for everyone, but they work pretty well