< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Multigun - August 17, 2014 @ ENGC  (Read 2165 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Multigun - August 17, 2014 @ ENGC
« on: July 30, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
Eastern Nebraska Practical Shooters is putting on the 3rd Multigun match of the year on August 17th! This match is open to the public and will be held at Eastern Nebraska Gun Club (Directions) near Louisville.

We have a strict attendance policy. If you are not in line to register and pay by 8:30AM, you will not be allowed to shoot!

Online Pre-Registration: https://clubs.practiscore.com/enps-august-multigun/register Please note that even if you pre-register you still have to be at the range and pay the match fee before 8:30AM the day of the match!

Match Fee: $15.

Schedule Is As Follows:
  • Setup will start at 7:15AM. We appreciate any help we can get with setup. The more people we have, the faster we can get shooting!
  • Registration closes at 8:30AM but you definitely want to show up sooner if you can. We will, as always, do our best to accommodate squadding requests but your chances are exponentially better at getting those requests fulfilled if you register online or show up very early on match day!
  • Safety and New Shooter Briefing begins at 8:40AM.
  • Shooters’ Meeting starts at 9:00AM.
  • Match begins immediately following the Shooters’ Meeting.
Equipment You Will Need:
  • A rifle chambered in 5.45x39mm or larger [an AR15 in 5.56x45mm is the most common].
  • A shotgun chambered in 20 gauge or larger [a 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun is the most common].
  • A handgun chambered in 9x19mm or larger.
  • A holster for your handgun. It is highly recommended you get one designed specifically for your gun and not a universal holster.
  • Plenty of ammunition for all three guns. It never hurts to have too much ammo!

Not sure what division you have the equipment for [see Appendix A starting on page 62]? Want to get more in-depth with the rules? Read more here: http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/RifleShotgunMultigun%20Rules%201-1-2014final.pdf

We also have a couple ENGC range rules:
  • No shot larger than #7 in your shotgun. That means that only #7 shot and larger number birdshot types are allowed (#8 shot is very commonly used).
  • No steel core, tracer, or armor piercing ammunition is allowed. Please make sure you are shooting lead core ammunition in your rifle.

If you have any questions please reply to this thread or PM me! I will do what I can to help you out. :)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Multigun - August 17, 2014 @ ENGC
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 11:54:28 AM »
Can't wait to shoot this... It feels like forever since I shot a Multigun match.

I don't even remember how it feels to hold a shotgun anymore.  :o

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 12:45:22 PM »
Can't wait to shoot this... It feels like forever since I shot a Multigun match.

I don't even remember how it feels to hold a shotgun anymore.  :o

Shotgun?  Shotgun.

Am I supposed to have one of these?  Because if I do, it has been in a case since I fired my last shotgun shell at the last MG match.  Months ago.

Wonder if it'll still cycle?

Oh, fantastic.  I haven't touched that particular AR since the last match, either.  Hm......go back to my old AR?

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 12:51:12 PM »
Shotgun?  Shotgun.

Am I supposed to have one of these?  Because if I do, it has been in a case since I fired my last shotgun shell at the last MG match.  Months ago.

Wonder if it'll still cycle?

Oh, fantastic.  I haven't touched that particular AR since the last match, either.  Hm......go back to my old AR?

Take them out and shoot them. I mean, it's not like you have anything else to do anyway, right? ;)

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »
Will slugs be required? Since the last one was rained out, will this one be on the 300yd range?

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 09:33:24 PM »

I haven't shot a multigun before so please bare with me. First off, how much ammo can you reasonably expect to go through for each gun? What distance is each gun shooting out to? What type of sights are being run on the rifles? I'm thinking of using a Ruger PC 9 carbine (cheep ammo) but it only has its original peep sights and my eyes aren't as sharp as they once were.
Any suggestions for how to prepare and gear to bring will be appreciated.

Thanks, Gregg
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 09:49:57 PM »
I don't know if slugs will be required, but it was mentioned a while ago to bring slugs just in case.
The match on the 17th will be on the 100 yard range and not on the 300.

There will be 4 stages, with varying round count.
I usually bring 150-300 rounds, you can always take the extra home.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 10:02:58 PM »
I guess I should get around to sighting in my shotgun with slugs, since I had to replace the front sight. 

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »
I haven't shot a multigun before so please bare with me. First off, how much ammo can you reasonably expect to go through for each gun? What distance is each gun shooting out to? What type of sights are being run on the rifles? I'm thinking of using a Ruger PC 9 carbine (cheep ammo) but it only has its original peep sights and my eyes aren't as sharp as they once were.
Any suggestions for how to prepare and gear to bring will be appreciated.

Thanks, Gregg

Hi Gregg,

I would bring at least 150 rounds with each gun. 200+ is what I usually bring to be sure. Reshoots do happen, so you may have to shoot a stage a 2nd time. Having that extra ammo is always good! There was an announcement awhile back that you should always bring slugs to a multigun match as they may be required. So bring some slugs for your shotgun in case you need them. It's rare to have more than 4 slug shots required but I'd bring extras just in case.

We will be shooting out to 100 yards with the rifle. Handgun shots are usually 25y or shorter. Shotgun is normally bird shot at steel and clay pigeons within 15 yards. I suppose there could be slug shots out to 100 yards but in the past it's been about 45y max.

Unfortunately, handgun caliber carbines are not allowed at this time so you would not be able to use your Ruger PC9. Your rifle must be chambered in a center fire rifle caliber at least 5.45x39mm or larger.

Stuff you will need:
-A rifle in a center fire rifle caliber at least 5.45x39mm [.223/5.56 is the most common]. You will want at least 2 magazines for your rifle (more is recommended).
-A shotgun in at least 20 gauge, pump or semi-auto [12ga is the most common]. You will want the largest magazine your shotgun will accept, if possible. There are division maximums regarding how many rounds you may have on a "loaded" start, but you can have a larger capacity just not loaded up to that capacity.
-A handgun in at least 9x19mm (aka 9mm Para, 9mm Luger 9mm NATO) [9mm is the most common]. You will want at least 3 magazines for your handgun (more is recommended).
-Some way to carry extra magazines and shotgun shells. This can be done in pockets. You cannot hold extra ammo in your mouth (this is actually a rule, heh). Side mounted shotgun shell carriers are allowed (but keep ammo out of them until asked to load your shotgun for a stage! when left in a rack, you want no ammo!)

Stuff that you don't need but will help you a lot:
-A spare magazine pouch for a rifle magazine.
-At least 2 spare magazine pouches for handgun magazines.
-Multiple shotgun shell holders. These are SO much faster to reload from than your pocket!
-A 2 piece belt with velcro. This allows you to much more easily put your gear on and take it off. You can get by without it but it is a lot more annoying especially if you're changing pouches between stages. Some types available are made by CR Speed, Double Alpha, and Ghost.

Suggested accessories for each gun is best read from the USPSA rules. http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/RifleShotgunMultigun%20Rules%201-1-2014final.pdf. They start on page 62 and continue on, explaining the equipment restrictions for the various divisions.

Edited to show that you can shoot with a pistol caliber carbine if you want.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:40:02 PM by SeanN »

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 03:40:21 PM »
Will slugs be required? Since the last one was rained out, will this one be on the 300yd range?

This one will be using the 100 yard range. The next multigun will (I believe) use the 300m.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 04:38:57 PM »
Sorry Gregg, I asked a few of our match officials and they gave the go ahead for a 9mm carbine used as a rifle as it would be no competitive advantage. So feel free to shoot with your Ruger PC9.

I would recommend an AR15 or something with a larger capacity magazine though as you may often need to take over 20 shots with the rifle on a single stage, so you would need to reload whereas many others will simply keep shooting.

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 07:31:40 AM »
Sean, I'll load up on ammo and bring what I have for gear. Hopefully I can see what's working well for
others before I start investing in more stuff. I'll bring the Ruger PC9 and an AR and decide which to run
after seeing the stages.

Is the Match rain or shine?
And, can a sling be used on the rifle for support when shooting from a standing position?
Thanks for your help, See you there.

Gregg
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:23:39 AM by GreggL »
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »
Sean, I'll load up on ammo and bring what I have for gear. Hopefully I can see what's working well for
others before I start investing in more stuff. I'll bring the Ruger PC9 and an AR and decide which to run
after seeing the stages.

It is of course up to you----but remember that the scoring is all time-based, so as long as you neutralize every target (whether two on paper or hits on steel), the people who win are the ones who do it as quickly as possible.  As such, 30-40 round magazines, a flatter trajectory, and low recoil can make quite a difference.

That being said, you'll have fun no matter what you are shooting.  :)

Is the Match rain or shine?

The answer to that is Yes, BUT..... 

If just rain, no big deal, we shoot anyway.  If a torrential downpour, we might wait a bit until it settles down, but we'll still shoot. 

If there is lightning, on the other hand, we do have to cancel.  Holding a metal stick + running around in the rain + lightning just isn't a good combination.

And, can a sling be used on the rifle for support when shooting from a standing position?

Yes.  That being said, you really won't want to take the time to sling up.    (Particularly if you have to dump the rifle right afterward.)  Most people don't even have slings on their rifles for these MG competitions---they simply get in the way, and you will not be slinging your rifle at any time during a course of fire for movement purposes.

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 08:46:58 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I filled out the online registration
and I'll be there in the morning!

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 08:28:14 PM »

Thank you to all the hard working folks that set up the stages this morning, and thanks to the all the members of Squad One for there help and tips. I was able to successfully complete each stage and had a blast doing it!

Gregg

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 10:04:05 PM »
Thank you to all the hard working folks that set up the stages this morning, and thanks to the all the members of Squad One for there help and tips. I was able to successfully complete each stage and had a blast doing it!

Gregg

I'll second that.  I know it's a lot of work to put on a match, and being an RO is a big responsibility.  Thanks to all the volunteers that make ENPS matches so awesome.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 06:05:36 PM »
To the ENPS Multi Gun competitors, and in particular those, who participated in the August 17th match... A Match/scoring issue was brought to the attention of the ENPS Committee.

In a nutshell; One of the 4 squads shot the 100yd stage, starting incorrectly from the shooting box instead of back near the RR tie,.. a sizable unfair advantage. This wasn't discovered till after the scores had been posted. A shooter's video from the match was posted on the internet showing him starting the stage from the wrong start position is what raised the issue.  The ENPS Committee felt that this error was serious and needed to be properly addressed. We met and had a lengthy discussion of the possible ways to correct the error to be fair to all of the competitors. The decision we reached was to assess- one procedure penalty (5 secs) to each shooter in the (one) relay (squad) that had incorrectly started the stage from the shooting box. Match scores were recalculated and will be posted as official results from this Match. We felt this is what the match rules allowed us to do, in order to correct the error.

We are implementing some changes that will improve the realtime communication between RO's (in the different relays) and the Match Staff, to try and keep something like this from happening again, in ANY of our matches we run in the future.

We thank you for supporting of our matches and hope for your continued support in the future.

Sincerely,
The ENPS Committee