< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Blew Up an XDM40 Today  (Read 11293 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Blew Up an XDM40 Today
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »
It was a very nice Springfield XDM-40.  Until today.  At the range.

Working on shooting steel.   Everything was chugging along just fine.   Gun was going Bang-Bang-Bang; steel was going ping-ping-ping, complete w/wiggle.

Then came a Great White Flash and a matching KA-BOOM!!   Followed by total bewilderment and immediate damage assessment.   Polycarbonate safety glasses worked fine.   A few cuts in face from cartridge shards, small cut to strongside hand, and that's about it.

Those plastic guns blow up from the middle and this one followed the pattern quite nicely.  The slide system may be salvageable.   And the magazine, maybe, if we can ever get it out of the mag well.  However, the frame is bulged and the rails are twisted laterally outside the frame.   The frame is a complete and total loss.   That serial number will now be retired forever.

So What Happened?
Since I was shooting reloads, first-think is overcharged cartridge case.   The preceding rounds were lightly charged, maybe 1100fps or so.  But the last one was a powerhouse.   Most probably like Jimmy Buffett says, "It's my own damn fault".  And I'm a known stickler on reloading safety protocol, so how's about them apples!!

I haven't checked the reloading data yet, so can't post it here at the moment.   My handgun reloads are always on the light side.   Except that Last One. 

Can't really think of another plausible reason than powder overcharge.  Unless the Cong pulled the bullets and replaced the powder w/C4.

First reload out of tens of thousands to ever KA-BOOM!   Now, how to make it the Very Last?

FYI and Always Wear Safety Glasses.

sfg

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:14:14 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Blew Up an XDM40 Today
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:19:36 PM »
Sucks....... Glad to hear you are OK.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:26:34 PM »
 try to use a powder that when its double charged, it overflows the case.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »
try to use a powder that when its double charged, it overflows the case.

I'm a big fan of this. 

Just curious, do you load on a progressive or a single stage?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 10:31:23 PM »
Wow! Glad to hear you are ok.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:49:08 PM »
Glad you're ok. Curious and scary.

(I suppose it's a bad time to use the old "pics or it didn't happen" line.)
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 01:22:55 AM »
The problem may not be the reloader. I also blew up a firearm not many years ago in .40 S&W and mine was a G22.

Truly dislike the .40 S&W ammunition (round) the more research I have done the more problems of similar KaBooms I have found. Google it, many an example found. These KaBooms have been from Glock's, S&W M&P's and Spring Field XDM's.

Yes, other pistol main frame calibers have KB's 9x19 and .45ACP but few and far in between compared to the .40 S&W.

This shooter will not be the owner of or fire another .40S&W firearm!

I'll just go back to eating my buttered popcorn now.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 04:19:08 AM »

Glad no serious injuries.  The gun can be replaced. Not so easily, fingers.

Randy shares a caution that some people follow, including the rascal James Yeager.

High pressure rounds wear on guns more, and may go kaboom more often than low pressure loads like 9mm and .45? Maybe. 
Ill stick with the high pressure calibers.   

Did I gather you have reloaded a long time?  Even so, some continuing education for reloading may serve you well.  A few trainers on here may be able to suggest someone.  Our southern area has a couple new to reloading trainers with NO expirence.  Watch out for that and keep looking.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:37:24 AM by Gary »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 04:57:50 AM »
Glad you're okay. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 06:05:47 AM »
How many times had the brass been reloaded?   I recently had a .380 blow up with factory ammo and the manufacturer determined it was from weak brass near the base of the cartridge.

John K

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 06:58:01 AM »
First off Ken glad you're OK.
It's also possible that an under charge could do this foul deed.  Very glad you're okay :D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 07:36:20 AM »
First off Ken glad you're OK.
It's also possible that an under charge could do this foul deed.  Very glad you're okay :D

Good point.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 07:39:19 AM »
Glad to hear you suffered no lasting damage.  Keep us posted on what you find as the cause.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 08:42:45 AM »
(I suppose it's a bad time to use the old "pics or it didn't happen" line.)
Good Point.   Could be just another Forum attention-seeker milking the tender sensitivities of the crowd.  If I can figger out (a) my cell phone camera, (b) transmission to computer, and (c) Photobucket, I'll post some pics.

try to use a powder that when its double charged, it overflows the case
Totally A-greed on this one.   (FWIW, powder choices can be pretty narrow these days.)

Just curious, do you load on a progressive or a single stage?
Single stage ancient Pacific press w/stand-alone single stage powder dropper.  (Because.......I've always intuited that the S-S device is "more controllable" and less likely to mischarge, overcharge, double-charge, whatever.  Maybe; maybe not.   I do check powder charge weights about every 10 rounds or so and continually watch the vernier scale to ensure that it hasn't moved.  Trying to be meticulous, which is why this KA-BOOM! has me somewhat confounded.)

...low pressure loads like 9mm...
Might want to look that one up on the SAAMI data sheets.   35,000psi on 9mm; 38,500 on 9mm +P.   (Agreed on the .45ACP; but the 9mm is a different breed of cat.).

Did I gather you have reloaded a long time?
Yup.   Metallic (rifle, pistol).  Shotgun.

How many times had the brass been reloaded?
Good question.  By me, once.   But....it's all range pickup brass.  No way to really know.   Brass should have an automatic reload hashmark on the rimface.  So each time it goes bang, it makes a "check".   I do the mandatory visual check on brass after tumbling:  cracks, bulges, corrosion, and other etc. anomalies.

It's also possible that an under charge could do this foul deed
Yes.  Possible.  The detonation phenom.   Thought about it.  No way to prove.   Also, I've always wondered what happens if a live primer gets loose from a hand priming tool, falls into a case mouth, and gets a powder charge dumped on top of it.  Coulda happened, I guess.  So there are other possibilities, but the most likely one in this case may be powder overcharge.   aka Operator Error.

Summary
I'm going to run the gun over to Tim Casteel, gunsmith, at Carl Jarl's this morning so he can take a look at it for a post mortem.

Once wuz a song, "I've Got a Brand New Pair of Roller Skates, if You've Got a Brand New Key....."   So if any of you Fiine Folks happen to have a Springfield XDM40 frame laying around in your junk box, I just may have a slide and a magazine.   We could put them together and see what happens with a new batch of reloads.

Just Thinkin'..............

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 01:27:23 PM »
.40 S&W is susceptible to case head blow outs when the brass is weaker than it should be...a hard thing to inspect for or control in the hand loading process, and the reason I don't own any .40 cal handguns
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 02:07:23 PM »
Good Point.   Could be just another Forum attention-seeker milking the tender sensitivities of the crowd.  If I can figger out (a) my cell phone camera, (b) transmission to computer, and (c) Photobucket, I'll post some pics.

Some of us just want to see some gore and destruction to go with all that verbosity.  It's like being stuck on the interstate for a half an hour because of a wreck. Might as well rubberneck like the rest of 'em when it's your turn.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 02:23:24 PM »
Single stage ancient Pacific press w/stand-alone single stage powder dropper.  (Because.......I've always intuited that the S-S device is "more controllable" and less likely to mischarge, overcharge, double-charge, whatever.  Maybe; maybe not.   I do check powder charge weights about every 10 rounds or so and continually watch the vernier scale to ensure that it hasn't moved.  Trying to be meticulous, which is why this KA-BOOM! has me somewhat confounded.)

No system is perfect.  Personally I am completely sold on the auto indexing progressive.  I have only had 4 rounds with issues (all squibs) and that was on a 550 which was having issues and causing distractions.  ASSUMING all the automatic operations of the press are working correctly, you are much safer iMHO when the operator has less to do.  All I have to do is...

1) Verify that the case has powder and that it looks correct (mine fills the case about half way)

2) Set a bullet on the case

3) Pull the handle down

4) Push the handle up

5) Go to step one and repeat

I have all the buzzers that tell me if the powder or primers are low.  I have never understood the "You should start on a single stage to be safer" attitude.  On my progressive, I can run each station and see what it does, just as if I was running a single stage.  It doesn't hurt that the Dillon is a fantastic machine that does it's job correctly and accurately over, and over, and over again.

What is the most significant error that can cause a dangerous reload?  Powder charge? That's not a rhetorical question.  I am too new to think of all the possibilities, but I would guess that is the most likely.  No primer? I will see that when I put the round (bullet down) in the ammo box, or it just won't fire.  Worst part is the powder that dribbles everywhere.  If a primer doesn't get seated all the way?  Again, I should see this when I put the rounds in the ammo box.  I caught it before.  Worst case scenario, it will fire when it goes into battery.  Hopefully my practicing the motor skills of safe gun handling will pay off and the gun will be pointed in a safe direction. Bullet not seated correctly and/or it is not crimped enough? It probably won't feed.  Bullet seated too deep or not far enough?  I measure the first couple of rounds from each reloading session and then measure intermittently.  Any single round that is WAY off will be obvious in the ammo box.  Again, I've caught it before, but that was on the 550.  I'm sure there are many more possible issues, but these are the most common, with too low/high of a powder charge being the most egregious.  So far I've loaded between 6 and 7K with my XL650, and I haven't had any major problems <Insert Fingers Crossed Emoticon Here>.

My personal opinion, but one that is reinforced by historical observation of the chain of errors leading to an accident, is that the less steps a person is given to complete, the less likely an error will occur.  There are caveats, but that is a pretty solid rule.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 03:26:32 PM »

For Those Who Wished to See a Pic:

Here's the blown XDM40.   You can see that the frame is bulged out. 

The rails are sprung out to the sides.  And the light line across the flat top of the chamber was part of the event.   Wasn't there before.

And the next (top) cartridge in the magazine has been completely flipped over and is pointing the wrong way.   The bullet in that cartridge had a deep crease down the middle.

On the left side, the slide release is sprung out away from the frame.   Rear sight was jarred loose.

Not as much fun as seeing a train wreck.  But when the gun blew, it was an adrenaline popper.

sfg
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:29:55 PM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »
Wellhell, there's yer problem.  You's puttin the bullets in backards!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 10:24:04 PM »
Wellhell, there's yer problem.  You's puttin the bullets in backards!
Well, here's a follow-up:
It has always been astonishing to me in the case of concealed carry classes, how often students actually DO put them in backwards.

Mostly 22s, but not always.

sfg