< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun Show - Oct. 9-11, Council Bluffs, Westfair  (Read 2976 times)

Offline kompulsive

• NFOA Full Member
Gun Show - Oct. 9-11, Council Bluffs, Westfair
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:38:27 PM »
Is anyone going in this? Have any of you been to this show in the past? I'll definitely be checking this out and hopefully the Crete show that same weekend. Could we put this on the events calendar since Council Bluffs is only about a half hour drive from Omaha or is it strictly for Nebraska events only?
"To experience oneself honestly, not lying to oneself, and to express myself honestly; now that...is very hard to do."

- Bruce Lee

Offline wwhuskerman

• Former Nebraskans
Re: Gun Show - Oct. 9-11, Council Bluffs, Westfair
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:57:48 PM »
Question... so if I were to buy something at the Iowa show, do I have to have it sent to a Nebraska FFL? Just curious.

Offline kompulsive

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 06:03:38 PM »
Question... so if I were to buy something at the Iowa show, do I have to have it sent to a Nebraska FFL? Just curious.

That's a really good question and something I'll need to find out. I certainly hope this isn't the case. Can anyone enlighten us?
"To experience oneself honestly, not lying to oneself, and to express myself honestly; now that...is very hard to do."

- Bruce Lee

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:24:32 PM »
It used to be a good show.  It used to fill 2 separate buildings.  It's been about 2 years since I went to that show.

The last time I was there the admission was $6.  More than I have ever paid before, or since then.  There were at the most 50 tables set up at the show and it only took about15 minutes to look at everything...twice.  I will not go back until I hear that things have changed, doubt that they will.

As to the purchasing question.  If I remember correctly, a Nebraska resident may purchase a "long gun" from a dealer from a neighboring state.  Not sure on handguns.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline warren209

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 11:57:11 PM »
I'm about 100% sure that you can only purchase a handgun from your state of residency, national law.  Therefore, it would have to be sent to an FFL dealer in your home state.  I can't quote you chapter and verse on that, but I'm certain that's what you'll find out.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 02:08:04 AM »
Wikipedia Short Version Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_in_the_United_States#Acquiring_from_dealers

Acquiring from dealers
Provided that federal law and the laws of both the dealer's and purchaser's states and localities are complied with:

An individual 21 years of age or older may acquire a handgun from a dealer federally licensed to sell firearms in the individual's state of residence.

An individual 18 years of age or older may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer in any state.
However, the applicant may not purchase a pistol gripped long gun that does not have a shoulder stock until he or she is 21 years of age.

Federal law allows the sale of a long gun or a handgun between private parties of the same state as long as the purchaser is 18 years of age. An individual who does not possess a federal firearms license may not sell a modern firearm to a resident of another state without first transferring the firearm to a dealer in the purchaser's state.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline kompulsive

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 05:36:26 PM »
Thanks for clearing this up guys. Sounds like it's time to apply for an FFL!

- Bruce Lee