< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Rock Your Glock August 9, 2014 at Lincoln Izaak Walton League  (Read 1925 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Rock Your Glock August 9, 2014 at Lincoln Izaak Walton League
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:13:04 PM »
The next Rock Your Glock will be held this coming Saturday August 9th at the Lincoln Izaak Walton range near Bennet Nebraska.

It is a LOT of fun, and a great challenge.  Come test your skills.  New to guns/handguns and not confident about your abilities?  Been around handguns for a while, but haven't perfected your abilities?  That's okay! The most important thing is that you are safe.  There are lots of people (shooters, range officers, staff) who would be happy to give you suggestions to improve your abilities.  All you have to do is ask questions.  One thing is for sure, you won't improve unless you determine what you need to work on, and there is nothing like trying to shoot quickly and accurately to expose what your training needs to focus on.  ;D  Regardless of your level, you will have fun and benefit from this type of shooting.

SAFETY:
  • The range is a ""COLD range. Nobody, including law enforcement personnel will be permitted to carry a loaded firearm.
  • All firearms must be stored in a suitable bag or box with the magazine removed and the hammer down.
  • The firearm must stay in its container until the Range Officer designates the range as "HOT" and instructs the competitor to remove the firearm.
  • All participants and spectators are required to wear hearing and eye protection at all times the range is designated as “hot”.
  • Firearms are only to be loaded up at the stage when commanded to do so by the Range Officer.
  • Firearms must always be pointed "down range" in a safe direction.
  • You must keep your finger outside of the trigger guard/off the trigger until your firearm is on target.
  • Anyone violating the safety rules may be asked to leave, will be disqualified from the match, and will NOT receive a refund.
Courses of Fire:
The “M”
  • Competitor will shoot 3 timed strings of fire. At the buzzer, engage each NRA D-1 Target with only 2 rounds each, in any order and then engage only one steel pepper popper of the competitor’s choice.
  • Firearm may be loaded with a maximum of 11 rounds.
  • Two targets are placed at 7 yards, two targets at 15 yards. Steel pepper poppers located at 11 yards.
5 to 25
  • Competitor will shoot 3 timed strings of fire. At the buzzer, engage each NRA D-1 target with only 2 rounds each.
  • Targets placed at 5, 10, 15, 20 & 25 yards.
The Plates
  • Competitor will shoot 4 timed strings of fire. At the buzzer, engage all of the steel plates in any order. Firearm may be loaded with a maximum of 11 rounds.
  • Plate rack has 6-  8” steel plates, placed 33 feet from the shooter.
http://rockyourglock.tripod.com/id2.htmlimage

Scoring:
  • Final score is tallied by combining all times and all penalties from all strings of each course of fire.
  • +1 second penalty for each C Zone hit on paper targets.
  • +3 second penalty for each D Zone hit on paper targets.
  • +10 second penalty for each extra shot on paper targets.
  • +10 second penalty added for each steel plate/popper left standing.

http://rockyourglock.tripod.com/id5.html

General Information:
  • You do NOT have to shoot with a Glock.  Any centerfire pistol or revolver can be used.
  • Shooting should start at 8am.
  • Registration goes through noon.
  • You will need about 100 rounds per gun.
  • The cost is $10 for the first gun and $5 for the second gun.
  • Youth (under 18) is $5 per gun.
STAGE PROCEDURES:
  • When directed by the Range Officer, you will remove your firearm from its holster/bag and you make take a site picture with an unloaded firearm.
  • You may load your firearm once directed to do so by the Range Officer.
  • Firearm may be loaded with a maximum of 11 rounds for each string of fire (7 in single stack class, 6 in Revolver). No reloading during a string of fire, if you run out of ammo, your string is complete and scored as is.
  • You will be asked by the Range Officer if you are Ready. Once you give them a verbal "ready" they will advise you to "standby" until the timer beeps. The starting position is, elbows againsts your ribcage and the muzzle parallel to the ground or below. Once the timer beeps, you may raise your firearm and engage the targets.
  • You may keep your firearm "hot" in between each of the strings you fire at the stage.
  • Once you have completed all strings of fire at the stage, you will unload your firearm, SHOW A CLEAR CHAMBER to the Range officer, and you will be instructed to close the slide, dryfire the gun and bag/box the firearm.
Malfunctions/Reshoots:
  • Due to the wide variety of firearms being used, as well as different factory and handloaded ammunition... There will be no Re-Shoots granted if your firearm/ammo malfunctions.
  • The only reshoots that will be granted (at the Range Officers discretion) will be ones due to timer/target failure.
Come on out and test your skills!

Fly
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:03:51 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Rock Your Glock August 9, 2014 at Lincoln Izaak Walton League
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 09:11:59 PM »
Fly

I am planning on attending Saturday. I cant wait to shoot.

I am going to be shooting my SR9 this gun has a magazine disconnect in it. I can pull the trigger and drop the firing pin but it bottoms out on the magazine disconnect. These guns are will break themselves if you dry fire the gun with no magazine in the gun. So my question is what is going to be the process for me showing clear at this match?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »
There are a few shooters with the same/similar situation. 

The "5 to 25" and "The 'M'" are three strings, and the "Plates" are four strings.  So ideally a shooter would bring a minimum of four magazines.  In your case, if you have a fifth magazine that you could leave empty, you could drop the live magazine, pull the slide back to show the RO clear, insert empty magazine, close the slide, pull the trigger, drop the empty magazine, and bag/box the firearm.  Does that sound reasonable?

Of course if you don't have enough magazines, you could strip the remaining rounds out of one of your magazines (or have a buddy/fellow shooter do it after you finish the first string), insert that into the gun, close the slide, etc, etc.

On a related note, if you don't have enough magazines for a stage, you could have a buddy/fellow shooter load your magazine(s) for you as you shoot. Of course, make sure you pick someone who knows which direction the rounds are supposed to face.  :laugh:

I hope that makes sense.

Fly
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:59:53 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 07:01:43 PM »
The match is tomorrow and it looks like mother nature just might cooperate.  Hope to see you all there.

Fly

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »
I'm still in. Had a near.miss with the wife [emoji33]. But damage control was successful. I'll be there bright and early.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 09:30:07 PM »
I am thinkin' I know who  I would vote for in the most improved shooter category...bet that Fly is feeling good after his winning score today.

Wish I coulda been there :(
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »
I am thinkin' I know who  I would vote for in the most improved shooter category...bet that Fly is feeling good after his winning score today.

Thanks Dan, but save the vote until I hit a few more matches and see if I can be consistent.  That's ALWAYS the problem.  Maybe some day I can be a "Chris Zeeb". A young man can dream, can't he?  ;D

Wish I coulda been there

Us too Dan!  Especially due to the reason you couldn't make it.  Hope to see things back to normal (whatever that is :)), and you back at the range soon.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 10:47:21 PM »
I know tstuart34 made it, at least he told me he did, but who else made it to the match today? 

Fly

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 05:01:44 AM »
I have to make one of these.   Sounds like a   blast :P

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 08:56:46 AM »
I have to make one of these.

You could "make" (organize) one @ ENGC.

Then you could make it.

And maybe I could, too.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 09:09:11 AM »
I did make it out had a good time. I did not finish last but for my first handgun match I was somewhat satisfied with my shooting. Need to focus on getting on paper and taking out the steel racks. I had 2 strings where I left 2 plates up. Then I think I had a miss in each of the other stages. That could of moved me up the pack a lot. Oh well now I have goals form next time

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »
I know tstuart34 made it, at least he told me he did, but who else made it to the match today? 

Fly

You guys have managed to schedule R n' G's on our work party days at our range.  Since I'm constantly griping about the many, many club members in our club who DON'T ever help out, I figure I'd better make an appearance and lend a hand.  We're going to have a nice place to shoot up in Columbus.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »
You guys have managed to schedule R n' G's on our work party days at our range.  Since I'm constantly griping about the many, many club members in our club who DON'T ever help out, I figure I'd better make an appearance and lend a hand.  We're going to have a nice place to shoot up in Columbus.

Glad to hear you are getting that fixed up, but here's a solution. Get to your range early, say 0500, put in 4 hours of hard work, drive to Lincoln, and register by 1200.  SIMPLE!

I have to make one of these.   Sounds like a   blast

I know it is a long drive for you, but the good news is that it is not like USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc.  You can just show up any time before noon to register.  Though sometimes I wish we had a required safety briefing for everyone in light of all the safety infractions we see.

Fly

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 05:52:54 PM »
Glad to hear you are getting that fixed up, but here's a solution. Get to your range early, say 0500, put in 4 hours of hard work, drive to Lincoln, and register by 1200.  SIMPLE!

Fly

Yeah, I'd be cranky the rest of the day and even harder to live with.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 05:56:31 PM »
Yeah, I'd be cranky the rest of the day and even harder to live with.  :)

Yeah, but your wife will be the one that has to deal with that.  We will just run you through the stages and kick you to the curb.  ;D

Fly

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »
Fly

Has anyone recommended a short safety briefing at sign up? Have who ever is working registration go through some safety rules with the people as they sign up?

How you want them to show clear how to bag the gun. These would be the.match expectations and procedures

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 07:57:32 PM »
Has anyone recommended a short safety briefing at sign up? Have who ever is working registration go through some safety rules with the people as they sign up?

How you want them to show clear how to bag the gun. These would be the.match expectations and procedures

The problem is that sign up continues for about four hours, with people walking in at any time.  Repeating the safety briefing 70 times over four hours (and I'm not exaggerating for effect) just isn't workable.

Truthfully---if someone is going to shoot a competition, it is their responsibility to know enough to be safe with their firearms.  There might be issues with rule specifics---but keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction, not handling firearms behind the firing line, keeping your finger off the trigger while loading/reloading/unloading---these things should NOT have to be explained by the match staff.

I do think it might help if the general "routine" of a stage was typed up and posted at registration, so that people could read it and have some idea of how things go.  The problem with that, of course, is the fact that (based on my prior experience with shooting competitions) people won't read it, and will either do whatever they want, OR ask match staff questions that were clearly answered in the posting.

Sorta like how there are lots of questions here on the forum about how Steel Challenge matches go, even though there is a post pinned to the top of the Shooting Sports sub-forum titled "Introduction to Steel Challenge."   :(

[sigh]

If signup/registration all happened at once, having a safety/new shooter briefing before the start of the WOULD probably help a lot.  But with walk-in registration over four hours, it gets a lot harder.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 10:46:25 PM »
Fly

I was talking to the Match Director about what we could do.  As jthhapkido has said, there are many complications.  The match personnel are all volunteers, as is the case with all the local matches.  So we don't have an abundance of people.  Much of the corrections are done on the firing line, and it works.  The intention of the RYG match is to have fun, and hopefully improve individual shooting skills.  It is a bit less of a "competition" and more of a social event.  In that light, we are not as strict as a USPSA match for example.  The most important thing is that participants come with an open mind and work on correcting any bad habits that others point out to them.

---but keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction, not handling firearms behind the firing line, keeping your finger off the trigger while loading/reloading/unloading---

And those are exactly the things we see.  I was that guy.  The RYG match was my first pistol match and I did the classic "reach for my gun bag while I sweep myself with the muzzle" thing.  Something I WISH I would have thought about and practiced before someone had to tell me. 

The frustrating thing is that we have a few, not very many, that are told they need to correct a bad habit and they come back every match and do the same thing again.  One particular guy had the "I've been shooting for xxx years!" attitude, but most are receptive.  One gentleman pulled the gun out while we were down range scoring.  I told him he needed to wait until he was told to do so, and when he was done shooting, he asked "Besides not getting the firearm out until told to do so, anything else I need to change?".  Great attitude!  I took that opportunity to also tell him that when he opens his gun bag/box and realizes the firearm is not pointing downrange, to turn the bag so when it is pulled out, the muzzle will always be pointed in a safe direction. I'm betting we won't see any more of that with him.

There is one guy though that I am going to have a polite conversation with when I see him.  I've commented how he sweeps himself.  Per my comments in a prior thread, I don't feel there is any difference whether the gun is loaded or unloaded, but if it matters to others here, it WAS loaded and cocked when he did this.  While I've made comments, he doesn't seem to be taking it to heart.  His response is not "screw you".  Rather he seems quite humble.  However, I'm wondering if anyone has explained what needs to be done to fix his bad habits.  Hopefully I will be able to help him make some neuron connections and he will improve.

I want everyone to have fun.  By our final count on number of guns shot at the last two matches (around 100), people are enjoying the event.  First and foremost is safety of course.  The chance of me getting shot in the back while I'm downrange scoring, or for a competitor to injure themselves is slim.  But if you haven't guessed yet, I'm the "wear your seatbelt" type of a guy.  I would rather see the odds of and accident reduced to darn near zero.

Fly
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 10:50:27 PM by OnTheFly »