< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What is going on here....  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
What is going on here....
« on: August 09, 2014, 09:06:42 AM »
I have around 150 .308 once shot by me brass I'm processing. This has a military crimp and IS NOT berdan primer or steel case. Ran through about half perfectly fine and the pins start bending. Second one bent after doing about 5 cases. What is the deal? My last problem where I bent one of these unbreakable pins was trying to deprime brass berdan primer cases. Not the case this time.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: What is going on here....
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:28:39 AM »
 those things break all the time, I started making my own, sometimes the hole is off center and you hit the edge
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 09:51:22 AM »
No kidding.  That's a little bit of false advertising on Lee's part then.  The hole being off center would explain the marks on the inside of the case.  I'm going to email Lee again for replacements but this time ask for about 10.  Is there a better stronger decapper out there? 

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 10:11:11 AM »
I use a piece of drill rod, for the shaft, and a small piece of bearing for the pin, still break them

also make sure the top is tight, if its not, the rod can be off center,

and check your shell holder, Ive had a little dirt get into that, and make the case be off center

you cant go real fast using this,
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 10:13:42 AM by shooter »
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I'm going to try and make something myself for now like you did. 

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »
crimped primers can be a real bear to de-cap, I don't recall breaking any pins, but, have managed to punch the pin through more than one, and I have had the pin slide up the shaft ( I use Hornady dies )

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »
I must have lucked out with the 1k pieces of .308 LC brass I bought from a forum member on here about a year ago because using the same die set punched right through those with no problem.  The last two times processing .308 brass have kicked my die set's butt!  LOL 

You bring up a point that a friend did about not tightening the pin down so much that it won't move.  I guess at least at that point it will push up instead of breaking.  The other thing he suggested was slowing down when depriming but don't see how that would help since like I said did 1k of Lake City w/o a problem.  This stuff is the white 100 round boxs of Atomic ammo you can get at Cabelas or whatever FC brass is.... 

Offline noylj

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »
This may not apply, but I use a Lee Universal Decapping Die for all my depriming needs.
I start with the collet slightly loose and run a case into it. While the pin in aligned with and in the flash hole, I tighten the collet TIGHT.
So many problems are taken care of by aligning and locking dies with the case/round in the die.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 04:50:50 PM »
This may not apply, but I use a Lee Universal Decapping Die for all my depriming needs.
I start with the collet slightly loose and run a case into it. While the pin in aligned with and in the flash hole, I tighten the collet TIGHT.
So many problems are taken care of by aligning and locking dies with the case/round in the die.

Thanks for the tip.  I will try it next time.