< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Epply Airport CC sign  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Am1117

• Forum Member
Epply Airport CC sign
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:36:48 AM »
There are new signs I think as of this year at Epply Airfield. The signs read

"PROHIBITED! The Carrying of Firearms or Other Weapons in the Epply Airfield Terminal, Parking Facilities, & Air Operations Areas"

It seems unclear if this is intended to stop a conceal carrier from hopping out and exiting  the car to help with luggage. It's not the "parking facility". The loading area is for loading and drop off only.

Anyone know anything concrete ?

Can you legally exit your vehicle with a pistol concealed if you are a CHP holder at the airport in the drop off and loading area to help load or unload luggage and kiss if appropriate? Ok little humor there.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:49:41 PM by Am1117 »

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Epply Airport CC sign
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »
i don't believe they can keep you from CC in a parking facility because that would keep you from protecting yourself with your CC on the way to the parking facility, same with my office buidlng. They have a no guns allowed rule and its posted but they cannot keep me from protecting myself on the way to work, there are rules about how that firearm needs to be stored while leaving it in vehicle but they can't ban me from carrying it with my driving to work

I would guess ( I don't have a link) that the airport would be the same, they cannot tell you you cannot protect youself to and from the airport.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 03:30:55 PM »
WaltherFan might know. 

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 06:43:26 PM »
I noticed them last week for the first time. I was picking up a family member and had parked in the garage. I had to walk back and store my gun in the lock box in my car.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »
Yeah, they frown on concealed carry at the airport. Not gun friendly at all. If you're flying, you can have it properly packed in your checked luggage. TSA frowns on it in your carry-on luggage.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 01:46:29 PM »
Yeah, they frown on concealed carry at the airport. Not gun friendly at all. If you're flying, you can have it properly packed in your checked luggage. TSA frowns on it in your carry-on luggage.

I've flown out of there many times with firearms in the checked luggage and the bag screeners have always been cool, asking me to come back behind the counter and watch as they open and close the case and bag.  That's probably for their peace of mind as much as mine, so nobody can claim that they damaged or misplaced it.  A couple times they've admired and talked about the gun for a while.

My question is... if you're going on a hunting trip far away and flying out of Omaha, how are you now supposed to approach the baggage counter with firearms in your bag to declare and check them there, and still follow this new "prohibition" as written???   ???
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 02:40:31 PM »
It's not a new "prohibition". Those signs went up as soon as concealed carry was passed (if not a little before). They don't apply to firearms in luggage you are checking. People fly in and out frequently with obvious gun cases.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 02:41:06 PM »
I've flown out of there many times with firearms in the checked luggage and the bag screeners have always been cool, asking me to come back behind the counter and watch as they open and close the case and bag.  That's probably for their peace of mind as much as mine, so nobody can claim that they damaged or misplaced it.  A couple times they've admired and talked about the gun for a while.

My question is... if you're going on a hunting trip far away and flying out of Omaha, how are you now supposed to approach the baggage counter with firearms in your bag to declare and check them there, and still follow this new "prohibition" as written???   ???

You can mail it to yourself.

If your going hunting with Uncle Joe, you can mail it to yourself at his address, without going through FFL.  Perfectly legal.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 05:17:02 PM »
I just looked it up. The Omaha Airport Authority is a part of the city government with board members who are appointed by the mayor and confirmed by the city council. I don't think it has the statutory authority to ban carry in the non-sterile areas of the airport.

I think the NFOA may want to consider sending a letter to Mayor Stothert to ask why the signs are allowed to be posted.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 05:18:10 PM »
To clarify, I don't think OAA can ban a valid CHP holder from carrying under the state preemption rules.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »
You can mail it to yourself.

If your going hunting with Uncle Joe, you can mail it to yourself at his address, without going through FFL.  Perfectly legal.

Yeah, well I'm not "mailing" my hunting rifle to myself in Africa, that's for sure.  And if I'm going to DC on business for the week and want to shoot with friends at the NRA range one evening, mailing a pistol ain't gonna work either.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 10:22:27 PM »
To clarify, I don't think OAA can ban a valid CHP holder from carrying under the state preemption rules.

As I understand it the OAA is an independent organization outside of the city government, yet its board is appointed by the city.  It has an independent police force and fire department, their own medical response units, and its own charter.  I suspect the city has it arranged as a business concern and not a part of the city government and therefore the OAA can prohibit CC on its property as can any business.  The signs have been there longer than I have.

Can you legally exit your vehicle with a pistol concealed if you are a CHP holder at the airport in the drop off and loading area

I believe that the airport drive is a city street, same rules should apply there as does for other city streets.

I've flown out of there many times with firearms in the checked luggage and the bag screeners have always been cool,

Thank you.  When I was a screener this was the standard we worked for.  We screened firearms all the time, military firearms all the time, and the average hunting weapon or handgun daily.  I was always interested (go figure, I’m a member here) and would occasionally ask questions of the owner about their weapon.  Had some great conversations, at least until the boss came along and told me to get back to the next bag.  I don’t screen anymore and this is one of the things I miss about it.  I also miss getting children through the checkpoint without being scared, playing with them and making the experience as stress free as possible.  I have 6 kinds of my own and was a foster parent for 18 years, so I understand kids (as much as anyone does I guess). 
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Am1117

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 04:24:43 PM »
The drop off/pick up street is named Terminal Drive I was trying to confirm that it is a public street. But no luck does anyone know how to?