< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Car Auction To Take Note Of  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Car Auction To Take Note Of
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »
When I was a young snot, there was a SuperBird with the hood off and engine out, next to a service station, for a couple years.  I always remember that car, and take note anytime I see one again.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/us-marshals-auctioning-off-rare-muscle-car-collection-163054978.html

Looking at the photo of the SuperBird and looking out my store window, I see the travels of my youth, were not without long term consequences.  I had on my to do list, to paint those cranes black, but I think Ill just let them be.   

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:22:53 PM by Gary »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: Car Auction To Take Note Of
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 06:41:30 PM »
Pretty quiet car thread.  You guys all walk to work?

The auction brought in 2.5 million dollars, with the winning bid on the SuperBee at $575,000.00     

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/-blood-money--muscle-car-auction-rakes-in--2-5-million-for-fraud-victims-210341266.html

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 07:01:01 PM »
 the 2 Yenko chevys would be a dream,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 10:56:41 PM »
The auction said most of the numbers matched on the Plymouth.   Yikes.  Not even all original, and over half a million. 

I purchased two SuperBee stickers for my orange cranes.  Close as I am going to get. 

Back in the day, I owned a 71 Z28 with a Hurst 4 speed Muncie transmission that was pretty quick.  I had a friend, that owned a 71 Roadrunner.  I rode in it a couple times.  It was pretty quick.  He rolled it and tore it up pretty bad. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:59:33 PM by Gary »

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 12:59:23 AM »
Back in the day, I owned a 71 Z28 with a Hurst 4 speed Muncie transmission that was pretty quick.  I had a friend, that owned a 71 Roadrunner.  I rode in it a couple times.  It was pretty quick.  He rolled it and tore it up pretty bad

well damn, I had a new 71 Z28 to, had the hurst shifter, Muncie M-22 tranny, 4.56 gears, did the whole trick on the motor, angle plug heads, 11.5 pistons, radical cam, ran in the low 12,s at cornhusker drag strip, ( the strip now is the Watkins cement plant near sapp bros)
   had it in the auto show at the auditorium a few times, got some nice trophies
   then I had kids, 
 NRA Endowment member

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 01:35:03 AM »
4.56 was usless on the highway.  But fun going from one stop light to another.   Mine was a slalom racer.  Not a practical street car.  I could not stack 4 tires and wheels on my back porch because they were too tall.    Had Cragar SS rims. 

Went to college in 78 and I thought I needed a Gold Wing for better gas mileage.  Would love to undo that trade.

Still have a quick Chevy.  Dont get it out much. 

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:42:30 AM by Gary »

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 12:33:16 PM »
 wow, I hadn't thought about slalom racing in years, I did a lot of that, still have a pile of dash plaques,  understand the wide tires, had G50-15 on the front and N50-15 on the back, 11 inch  front and 13 wide in the rear. on crager SS wheels, Ill have to find a pic,  where did you race? I did in Omaha with the Omaha camero club, but went to races all over,
    yea the gears were a little deep, but they made a difference in slalom racing,
 NRA Endowment member

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 09:51:22 PM »
Very interesting we had simular vehicles.  Mine was used, purchased from a car lot on levenworth? East of the medical center, 1976?  75?  I have no photos.   It was blue, white stripe, headers with external pipes below the doors.   My back tires were 50N and front were 50L.   Goodyear tires.

I never raced but I collected a few tickets on the street.  Sold it to a honda motorcycle dealer 32nd and second avenue in CB 1978.  Was going to college and needed cheap dependable transportation.   I purchased one of the first Gold Wings in the States.   I still have a GL.   Great bikes.

On day two, of the Z28, twisted in pieces, solid steel crankshaft.  Sold a 68 convertible Firebird to finance the repairs.   

I miss my Firebird more than the Z28.   Drove that convertible winter summer top down.  Drove the bike winters as well.  Funny the childish things young boys do that seem so unquestionable at the time. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:59:38 PM by Gary »

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »
 THAT WAS MY CAR!   did it have the rear fender wells stretched out to cover the tires

It didn't have the good motor in it, I pulled it when I sold it

that lot was my brother in laws, well EX,

Had a sun super tac inletted into the dash

did it look like this? but white stripes?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Baldwin+Motion+1971+Camaro&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=baldwin+motion+1971+camaro&sc=1-26&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&id=7E7CE888E586BCB1BDEC39784517A71C5789AA93&selectedIndex=3
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:50:23 PM by shooter »
 NRA Endowment member

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 12:09:30 AM »
Cut it out!  We had the same car!  wOw!

The picture is close.  Blue, black pipes, not chrome. 

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 12:13:15 AM »
When the engine blew, the dealer took forever to repair it for me.  The shop was somewhere south west of Omaha, out in the boonies.  More like an acreage barn.

He left out some vital items, like crank rod bolts, and it blew again.  As I recall, the guy was somewhat of a jerk.  Or he thought I was. 

My third engine held pretty well.  I found that myself. 

What a small world.

The place I sold it, went out of business soon after, selling motorcycles without motorcycle titles.  Bank was holding the paper, and one day, an inventory found lots of empty crates.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:21:12 AM by Gary »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 12:43:58 AM »
The Z28 was not the best tire spinner car I ever drove.  I test drove a American Motors AMX.  The dealer just tossed me the keys, and I had a blast.   It was lighter than the Z28.    That AMX was the 3rd most memorable muscle car I ever drove.   Our Z was a close second.

Number 1?  The bike, with a ZZ4 crate engine, supped up, just a tad,   Top sped is Bugatti Veyron territory.    Burnouts, at any speed.

This was the color of the Z28   Mulsanne Blue

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 12:54:31 AM »
Our car was pretty special. 

71 Camaro total production 114, 630. 

71 Z28 total production 4,862

71 Z28  slalom racer like ours 1

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »
I had just purchased the car, and I walked into work at the Checker Cab company and told the guys about it.  They wanted to see it, so I drove it up out front.     Rather than just drive it around, I went down a couple blocks and opened it up.  I was really going to it when I noticed a motorcycle cop giving chase.     I was well over 100 mph in a 25 / 35 zone. 

No ticket.  No warning ticket.  How?

I pulled over, pulled my right leg off, slid it between the seats into the back, and exited the car hipping towards the officer screaming in pain as I put my stump in his face.   I told him I fell, and was driving towards a hospital.  He said follow me and we went lights and siren to a close by emergency room.   The car was not as easy to drive with one foot!

I still remember the officer turn lime green in color when I put my stump in his face.    Kids.  I had a few stories like that one. Wonder I made it through my youth with as many limbs as I did.  I figure I hit pretty much top speed on St. Marys avenue and was slowing down when I noticed the cop in pursuit.  How fast was I going?  I dont remember, but it would have been a licence revocation to be sure.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:05:39 AM by Gary »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »
Had the car 2 days and at a Kwik Shop someone said, is that your car?  I figured they wanted to compliment me on it.  No, they said, YOUR CARS ON FIRE!    I raced outside to see the cracked windows billowing smoke.  I opened the doors, could not find anything, opened the hood, nothing.   In the trunk was some grease rags stuffed above a wheel well.  I pulled them out, getting burned in the process, just as the firetrucks showed up.  Fire dept ruled it spontaneous combustion of grease rags.  No damage to the car except the smell of smoke. 

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 09:56:54 PM »
 I think the original price on that car was $3395,   but I put almost triple that in speed goodies,  I had it about5 years, but it did set while I was in the army, that old draft thing kind of snuck up on me,
 I had it on a dyno once, read out at 550 horse at the rear wheels.  I was running a 383 stroker motor in it, ive only drove 1 car faster than that was, and it was a Porsche,
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:12:06 PM by shooter »
 NRA Endowment member

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 12:30:49 AM »
What are the odds, of two guys, not knowing one another, by chance, figuring out they once owned the same car, on a gun forum?

I would think the odds of that are about a billon to one.   

Hey, lets try this.  I once owned a child's chalk board.  About 6" x 8".  Wooden frame, and the slate was cracked.  My mom gave it to GoodWill.  Years later, I saw the chalkboard at a rummage sale, but I was a guy, not yet sentimental in nature.

By chance, does anyone now have that chalkboard?   hey, worth a shot. 

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 12:35:38 AM »
Shooter, I have an exhaust question.   I tried running open pipes once, but the noise was ear splitting.  Far too loud for the street.

My V8 cycle, has open pipes, and shorter than they were on the Z28.   

How is it I can have open pipes on one Chevy 350 (a ZZ4 Crate engine) but on the Z28, it was too loud?   My mind tells me they had to be somewhat close, but the Z was much louder. 

Maybe I am getting deaf in my old age?  lol

I own the V8 because it blends the open feeling of my 68 Firebird, and the speed and agility of my 71 Z28.  My wife wants me to sell it.  NOTHING DOING!

http://youtu.be/rt5cNJyqWBo?list=UUr0TMbvXxVlab_2AdEkCRGg
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:42:37 AM by Gary »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
 damn that is in sad shape, I do have a 500 pound sand blaster !
 NRA Endowment member