< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 2014 Annual Meeting Seminar: Defensive Awareness (and Steel Challenge)  (Read 934 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Thought I'd make sure that people were clear on what I was going to be discussing during my seminar at the annual meeting this Saturday---that way I don't get loads of complaints afterward about something I wasn't planning on talking about.  :)

"Defensive Awareness" - Thomas Howard of Precision Response Training. Thomas will cover Defensive Awareness under stress, efficient area scans, and effective after-altercation actions. (This will take place in a pistol bay using inert training pistols)

Note that this is NOT a class on general awareness or practicing staying in yellow all the time, etc.   Instead, we will be hitting a couple of high points regarding staying aware during a defensive altercation, and afterward.  It'll also include some information (and practice) regarding a useful area scan, instead of the commonly-practiced give-me-whiplash head twitch.

We won't be talking about general awareness.  And I only have an hour, so we won't be talking about all the elements of altercation/post-altercation awareness, either.

Just wanted to be clear, so people don't expect a comprehensive course on situational awareness for their daily lives.  :)

...in the afternoon, I'll be running a Steel Challenge stage.  (Well, a short form of it.)  You have to supply your own gun and ammo (and holster if applicable) but I'll supply the targets, the timer, and the calculations for results and bragging rights afterward.  (Technically, the range will supply the targets.  But I'll set them up for you!)

I'll have the rules there, but the short form is this:

Five steel targets, one is the stop plate.   Shoot the stop plate LAST.  Time starts with an audible "beep," time stops with your last shot.  Any hits after hitting the stop plate don't count.  Three second penalty for any targets not hit before hitting the stop plate. 

Start position:  facing the targets, gun loaded.  If a .22 rifle or pistol, gun starts in your hands, pointed at the orange cone, safety off, finger outside trigger guard.  If a centerfire pistol, gun loaded and holstered, wrists above respective shoulders. 

If you don't have a holster for your centerfire pistol, you will start with the pistol on a table and wrists above respective shoulders, and be in a separate division. 

You'll do three runs.  We'll record the times of all three, throw out the slowest one, and add the other two.  Your score will be that sum, which will be compared to everyone else.

Lowest time wins.  :)

Divisions:  .22 rifle, .22 pistol, centerfire handgun from the holster, centerfire handgun from the table.  (Normally, there are different divisions of each of these such as Open, Single Stack, and Limited, but this is just for fun so we are going to lump things together to make it easier on me.)

See you on the range!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:36:57 PM by jthhapkido »
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
Re: 2014 Annual Meeting Seminar: Defensive Awareness (and Steel Challenge)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »
Thanks Thomas, looking forward to Sat.
I will bring my "cheater" 22.
Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 06:34:39 PM »
Based on what I did last year, instead of having centerfire pistols start at the ready we'll instead be having them do a table start, so I've edited the original post to say that.

Also, last year we separated the Open and Irons classes for all divisions---THIS year, everyone competes head-to-head.    Shoot fast!  We can't let those Open folks think that their guns make them better.

:)

Divisions:

--Centerfire from the Holster
--Centerfire from the Table
--.22 Pistol
--.22 Rifle

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 06:42:30 PM »
Forgot to mention!

You can shoot multiple divisions if you want.  (You don't get to shoot them all in a row if there is a line of people waiting, but stick around and we'll loop you back in to shoot again.)  You do only get ONE official run for score in each division, though, and it has to be your first run in that division.  :)

I'm planning on shooting Centerfire/holstered, and .22 Rifle.  (And maybe .22 pistol, if I happen to bring one.....)

....because shooting is fun, and Steel Challenge is a blast.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:56:23 AM by jthhapkido »