< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Getting a CCP question  (Read 1250 times)

Offline grumpy old man

• NFOA Full Member
    • Stand Up For It !
Getting a CCP question
« on: August 22, 2014, 10:18:30 PM »
My brother got a ticket for shooting at a pheasant from a dirt road 19 years ago. (didn't hit it, typical) He paid the ticket right afterwards.  Last month He took his CCP class and I told him according to the highway patrol website he wont be able to get his permit because it doesn't show a limit on that offense.  most limits are like 10 years but I didn't see one on shooting at wildlife from a roadway.  Am i right?  will he be denied?
"One man with courage is a majority." Thomas Jefferson

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Getting a CCP question
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 07:52:28 AM »
They don't list individual offenses. His would be a firearms related offense and probably fall in the following category from the NSP FAQs:

"Conviction for violation of laws relating to firearms or unlawful use of a weapon within ten (10) years from your application."

He may be Ok.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 07:56:38 AM »
Have him apply anyway. If they deny him for it he can appeal the decision. As Husker_Fan stated, the usual is anything inside of 10 years. Of this happened almost 20 years ago, I too would guess that he is okay. I'm no lawyer however, so don't quote me on it.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline grumpy old man

• NFOA Full Member
    • Stand Up For It !
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:27:33 AM »
ok, thanks guys.  I will let him know to apply. 
"One man with courage is a majority." Thomas Jefferson

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 10:25:55 AM »
Also, if he lives in Omaha, having a CHP will be a bigger difference for him. Without it, you must register any handgun, but Omaha disqualifies people with a firearms offense regardless of when it happened.

Having a CHP would be the only legal way for him to posses a handgun in Omaha.