< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Moving a safe...  (Read 3052 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Moving a safe...
« on: August 23, 2014, 08:25:21 PM »
so, my neighbors are moving and they have a fireproof safe that they are giving me for real cheap.  the safe is not huge, but it is bigger than my non-fireproof safe.  they have a walk out basement, but steep landscaping.  i do not have a walk out basement, only stairs.  how would one move the safe into my garage?  strapped to a hand truck?  ideas???

i'll get the make/model tomorrow and maybe some pics.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Moving a safe...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 08:38:08 PM »
What are its weight and dimensions? Weight is the most important consideration. If it's several hundred pounds, you are better off hiring a professional mover. They have experience and, in the event of an accident, they have insurance to repair the damage and pay the medical bills of their injured employees.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 09:20:08 PM »
ok, i found out it is a Centurion by Liberty. Model D-20.  it is 440lbs and measures 59.25"H x 28"W x 22"D.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:22:42 PM »
seriously, that last one I moved ---TOW TRUCK,

can pick it up with a sling, move it. and back into your garage
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline predatorhunter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 10:21:54 PM »
I just used a two wheel cart and two man power to get mine in the basement. It wasn't a lot of fun but we got it done. Mine weighs a little over 500 pounds.
NRA Life Member!!!!

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 10:50:09 PM »
If you can move it without having to hire the "Heavy Company", its not big enough!  :)

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 11:29:21 PM »
If you can move it without having to hire the "Heavy Company", its not big enough!  :)

66bigblock

well, i'll just say the price was right.  i was hoping to take off the door, but it doesn't look like thats possible, but i will have to look into it more.  i also think i can take off the fire proofing and shelving.... anything to make it lighter.  then it will be me and some friends either taking it downstairs or loading it up to take to my parents.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 12:33:16 AM »
440 pounds is not heavy in the safe world.   You tube search safe moving.   It is pretty easy with a bit of knowledge and a few tools.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 01:49:36 AM »
Refrigerator dolly and a couple of strong backs should get it done. BTDT.
D.R

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 07:48:58 AM »
I would call a moving company.  Piece of cake for them and probably cheaper than you think.  They are insured so you don't have the risk of property or personal damage.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 09:10:07 AM »
If you want to go that way, Lincoln Lock and Safe are real good and reasonable. They got a 700 lb safe in my basement in about 20 min using a nifty machine they have that walks it up or down stairs.
D.R

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
If you don't go the 'professional' route and try the DIY with an appliance dolly...    Get some plywood sheets to put on the ground as a pathway out of their basement, across the lawn and up to the front of the house/driveway/sidewalk.

The dolly, with the small wheels, will bury up in the soil without a firm surface to roll on.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 09:52:58 AM »
There are videos on you tube of people, using only simple tools, lifting barns and moving them.   If neighbors can move a barn, a medium sized safe cant be out of reach. 

4 2x6 10 foot long boards fastened to the sides of the safe at 6" below hands at waist high.  Bound on with tie down straps that sandwich the boards to the sides of the safe. Moving blanket over the safe to protect the paint.   One strong person on the end of each board, or two frail teens on each handle and up she goes. 

Each person will be lifting 60 pounds in a 8 man team, 30 pounds in a 16 man team.  That should easily walk out of a landscaped area without doing any damage.  Cant take a tow truck into someone's yard.   Tow trucks do come in handy, I use them to move my (4300 pounds each) gorillas.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:00:37 AM by Gary »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 10:03:50 AM »
I want to applaude you for going to the effort and expense to aquire this safe.  It is a very responsible decision to put a safe in your home.   Keeps good people good, keeps bad people away.   

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 10:32:33 AM »
I think the first step is getting it in my garage. Then ill see if i want it downstairs or not. I already have a safe, but this one is bigger. Im certain i can get it moved with my dolly and some friends.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 04:56:01 PM »
There are videos on you tube of people, using only simple tools, lifting barns and moving them.   If neighbors can move a barn, a medium sized safe cant be out of reach. 

4 2x6 10 foot long boards fastened to the sides of the safe at 6" below hands at waist high.  Bound on with tie down straps that sandwich the boards to the sides of the safe. Moving blanket over the safe to protect the paint.   One strong person on the end of each board, or two frail teens on each handle and up she goes. 

Each person will be lifting 60 pounds in a 8 man team, 30 pounds in a 16 man team.  That should easily walk out of a landscaped area without doing any damage.  Cant take a tow truck into someone's yard.   Tow trucks do come in handy, I use them to move my (4300 pounds each) gorillas.

Think this is the best.  Then:

If you don't go the 'professional' route and try the DIY with an appliance dolly...    Get some plywood sheets to put on the ground as a pathway out of their basement, across the lawn and up to the front of the house/driveway/sidewalk.

The dolly, with the small wheels, will bury up in the soil without a firm surface to roll on.

Those dolly's at TSC are good for 600 lbs.  I have one, and put over 600 lbs on them, no probs.

Or you can invite a whole lot of people over from the boards, and after we move your safe, we can go to a range and get some trigger time.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 05:08:49 PM »
Convince anyone helping move the safe you conduct bio hazard tests in your home for some research project, and need the safe to keep spores in.  That way rumors of your valuables dont start circulating the neighborhood.

After it is all moved, tell them you need to move the safe again in 30 days to ship it to a federal waste management facility and ask them if they want to help again?

Tell them to bring disposable gloves and a resperator.   Lol

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:12:56 PM by Gary »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 07:33:45 PM »
I think the first step is getting it in my garage. Then ill see if i want it downstairs or not. I already have a safe, but this one is bigger. Im certain i can get it moved with my dolly and some friends.

The key is to pay your buddies in Universal Man Currency. 

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 09:48:38 PM »
I do accept universal bank of fiocchi...
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 10:26:22 PM »
The key is to pay your buddies in Universal Man Currency. 

Is that ammo or beer?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK