< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: COPS in Omaha  (Read 9640 times)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
COPS in Omaha
« on: August 27, 2014, 06:26:26 AM »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: COPS in Omaha
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 07:38:20 AM »
Suppose we'll have riots?

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 08:40:05 AM »
Yes, rioting by the fans of COPS ....

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »
NO JUSTICE NO PEACE, I'm headed to The Mart!!!!

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
according to the holes in the window, looks like pretty good shot placement on center mass of a moving target?

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 11:17:14 AM »
It has just been reported that the COPS videographer has died from his wounds.  In all the years of this show it has been reported that this is the first time one of their employees has been shot.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 11:20:51 AM »
A suspect was shot dead and a crew member with the “Cops” television show later died after the apparent disruption of a robbery Tuesday night at a Wendy’s restaurant in midtown Omaha, police said.

More than 30 shots were fired, officials said. The fatal shots apparently were fired by an Omaha police officer.    Officials said it appears the only shots fired came from police.

Let's see if the dots connect.........

Perp is dead.

COPS crew member dead.

Only shots fired were by LEO.

??????????

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »
Get out your check book Chief......  so much for public relations ....

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 11:45:05 AM »
Scott Vorhees and KFAB just posted this on fb:

A highly reliable, high-placed source just confirmed to me that Omaha Police have unintentionally shot and killed a crew member of the TV show "Cops." The unnamed crew member died almost immediately last night in the incident, which took place at approx. 9:20 p.m. Central Time. Omaha police chief Todd Schmaderer will hold a news conference at 2:30 p.m. Central Time today

Will be interested in hearing the press conference.  What a bad deal.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
Let's see if the dots connect.........

Perp is dead.

COPS crew member dead.

Only shots fired were by LEO.

??????????

sfg

It was reported by the World Herald that the robbery suspect had an airsoft gun.

Also according to them it was not the videographer but a mike person that was shot.

I am certain there is lots of video for OPD and because of the conflict most likely NSP to review in this case.  There will need to be many lessons for OPD to learn from the after action, this is not meant to bash our police.

Officers that were there I am certain were doing what they felt at the time to be the correct thing.  Their families as well as the families of those shot and others involved are all questioning what happened and where things are going for them this morning.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 01:00:37 PM »
what a damn shame, of course the first crew member of the Cops show had to be shot and killed IN OMAHA BY OPD

I hope that report of the bad guy having an air soft gun are correct, and that damned orange tip better have been painted black or removed or Omaha is in for trouble, certain parts of this city are just ripe for some type of unrest

"something bad happened? lets steal stuff"
If I owned a business anywhere near that area I'd be armed, I'd let my employees be armed and I'd let it be known that we're armed and we'll defend ourselves and our property.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »

If I owned a business anywhere near that area I'd be armed, I'd let my employees be armed and I'd let it be known that we're armed and we'll defend ourselves and our property.

No such thing as a good neighborhood anymore.     But what would armed do in this case, where the bad guy has a squirt gun?   If one is a gun person, to the point of trained and a CHP license, one would think they would recognize a toy gun.   I am not going to pull my gun, on someone pointing a toy gun at me.   

Here in Lincoln, someone (later caught I think) robbed a Sonic with an orange tipped gun.  The employee handed over the money, to a toy gun.   Every parent, every CHP holder should be able to distinguish from across the room, an orange tipped gun.  It has not come out yet if the toy gun in this case was altered to look realistic. 

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM »
A lot of airsofts look very real.  And a lot of guns nowadays with pink and purple and rainbow anodized parts look like toys.  I reckon that if you're using a realistic toy to rob a restaurant, you're pretty much volunteering to be shot by the police who rush through the door answering a call about an armed robbery in progress.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 02:36:47 PM »
Gary, I don't want to speak for landon but my interpretation was that he was speaking about the neighborhood where the shooting took place at some time in the future when rioting might take place.

Moreover, an Airsoft gun (not a squirt gun), especially if the tip is not orange, looks virtually identical to a real gun.  I highly doubt that anyone could tell the difference (if the orange tip was painted black) in the midst of a defensive encounter.  I'd be willing to bet that six out of ten people, maybe more, wouldn't even spot the orange tip in the midst of a high-stress encounter.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
 so the kid fired his air soft gun, witnesses saw the slide move back and forth, 
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 02:39:40 PM »
No such thing as a good neighborhood anymore.     But what would armed do in this case, where the bad guy has a squirt gun?   If one is a gun person, to the point of trained and a CHP license, one would think they would recognize a toy gun.   I am not going to pull my gun, on someone pointing a toy gun at me.   

Here in Lincoln, someone (later caught I think) robbed a Sonic with an orange tipped gun.  The employee handed over the money, to a toy gun.   Every parent, every CHP holder should be able to distinguish from across the room, an orange tipped gun.  It has not come out yet if the toy gun in this case was altered to look realistic. 

Gary I don't usually have major disagreements with what you say, but I do here.  Criminals have for a long time been altering real guns to make them look like toys, gluing on orange tips, painting them bright colors to look like squirt guns and more.  If someone points what could be considered a possible firearm at me with what I feel is unlawful intent I would be concerned for my life and have complete desire and ability to defend myself.  This magic ability to know from a distance, and in this case the dark, what is real and what is a toy; lets just say it does not exist.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 03:07:33 PM »
Police have released details on the gun.  I saw a photo of the gun, from a press conference.  It was a air soft copy of a full sized Beretta.  It did not have any orange paint.  Officers say the robber was shooting airsoft pellets at them, but did not know it was not a real gun.    They reported it sounded like a real gun.

I myself, have never seen an airsoft gun, that sounds like a 9mm going off. 

The robber is a long time bad guy, out on parole from another state for armed robbery.  He was paroled to Nebraska.     

The window shots were from inside the store, going out. 

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »
+10 Andy

Almost since the start of orange tip laws for toy guns, the criminal element has been painting the tips of real guns orange or in some other ways modifying real guns to look like toys. This effort is to take advantage of any lag time a Peace Officer may have when viewing a potentially armed thug.

If someone is threatening me with what looks like a real firearm I am under no obligation legal or otherwise is determining whether it is real or not.

This also plays into the disparity of force continuum. A thug assumes some martial arts stances and tells me that, "I am a black belt in yada and I am going to f#@k you up. I can legally assume he is telling the truth and not having attained equal skills I can use a firearm to defend myself in that situation.

Somebody points a gun at me I can legally assume it is real and defend myself with my own firearm.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 03:27:47 PM »
You guys willing to shoot folks with toy guns, lets talk after you shoot someone holding one, and let me know how that is working out for you. 

Three police officers in a small room, could not tell the report of a gun fired at least twice, was an airsoft gun?   

Someone with experience with these guns, I wish you would chime in on this.  Do they sound like a 9mm going off?   Sound, muzzle flash?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 03:41:50 PM »
A blowback operated CO2 airsoft pistol looks exactly like the real thing and has a loud enough report that under the influence of adrenaline it would be very easy to mistake it for a live round being fired.  A few years ago I was at a gun show and some guys with airsoft guns at their table pulled the trigger.  For a split second I thought it was a real gun being fired. Even if it wasn't fired, they are so realistic that there would be absolutely no way for the officer to know it wasn't real. 

As others have said, criminals can and do paint the muzzle orange to try to deceive people.  Assuming a gun is fake when it's not completely obvious is a good way to get killed.