< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Trouble finding .22 Long Rifle, roll your own.  (Read 1664 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Trouble finding .22 Long Rifle, roll your own.
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »
http://22lrreloader.com/

First question is: Unfy were you involved in the development of this?  Kind of sounds like your science kit here.

Now has anyone tried this, wondering if it works or is just a gimmick?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Trouble finding .22 Long Rifle, roll your own.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:13:36 AM »
Seems like an awful lot of work for .22, but it's a neat idea.  It would be nice to have "just in case".

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:51:16 AM »
 I bought a book that told how to do that back in the 70,s  the hard part is finding the compound to fill the rim with, it used to be you scraped off the material from a strike anywhere match, but you cant find them any more,  plus, you have to make sure that you don't strike the same place on the rim,
  Its a lot of work, I tried it a few times, but it can be done
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:58:37 PM »
Watch all the .22 casings lying around on the ground out at Ike's shooting range disappear! ;D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 10:14:56 PM »
LOL

Not my doing.  If I had access to mill & lathe - maybe - but alas ._.

I did look into 22LR reloading, but deemed that I didn't like working with the primer material at all.  As in mixing / creating it yourself.  Yes, even I am nervous around primary explosives :D.  Some of the wet paste that you then let dry seemed safer, but I still wasn't happy about it.

And yes, you can use nails to clean and maybe reform the rim a little (generally just try to orient casing so that the pin squeezes a different part though)... and the strike anywhere powder... some gun powder, and some lead to reload your own 22LR.  Old old old school country folk were doing that for ages.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
Some problems with reloading your old .22lr casings:
1)  The reloading kit is $190  :o
Just for a depriming& packing tool, and a .22lr bullet casting tool, plus instructions?
2)  There is a chance the second time the casing is fired that the pin will hit on the previous impact point.  There is no primer there because the rim is squeezed together.  The more often the casing is fired the more likely it won't fire.  After half a dozen reloads, if the casing lasts that long, half of the rim will be compressed and 50% of the time the cartridge won't fire.
3)  The method uses Pyrodex, which is caustic and corrosive.  I always clean my guns after I shoot them, but recently I forgot to clean my pistol and two weeks passed before I remembered to do it.  Since Pyrodex contains Sulfur, Potassium Nitrate, Carbon, Graphite, Potassium Perchlorate and other proprietary ingredients forgetting to clean the weapons it is used in could corrode the barrel and mechanisms severely.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 05:54:28 PM »
Some problems with reloading your old .22lr casings:
1)  The reloading kit is $190  :o

That's 1900 rounds of 22 at today's current online prices.   ::)  I've got so much waiting for me to pick up at Cabela's that I'm about to call them and tell them to refund my card and put it on the shelf.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK