< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: IDPA Nebraska Saturday 6 September 2014 Thunder Alley Lincoln  (Read 3664 times)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
IDPA Nebraska Saturday 6 September 2014 Thunder Alley Lincoln
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »
There is an IDPA Nebraska indoor match on Saturday, September 6, at Thunder Alley Indoor Shooting Range in Lincoln, NE.

Registration is online; payment is made at the match.

Match starts at 9:00am. Briefing and walk through are at 8:45am. Doors open at 8:15am.

2 stages; 18 rounds per stage.

Online registration can be located at the following:
http://www.idpamatchsignup.com?matchid=D8F8A0E1-46C0-44E4-81A7-BE9E65748AB9.

Preference is given to those who signup online (i.e., there is no guarantee for those who walk-in to register on the morning of the shoot).

Fee is $5 for members of Thunder Alley and $10 for non-members.

If you are new to IDPA, it is highly recommended that you first participate in the IDPA Level 1 (Basics) course. See www.everreadyccw.com or www.idpanebraska.com or this FB site for the next scheduled class.

All IDPA rules apply as well as those added by IDPA Nebraska (e.g., no polo shirts or tight race gun competition shirts as cover garments; cover garments must be a jacket, vest, or unbuttoned shirt that fulfills the IDPA arm-lift rule).

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: IDPA Nebraska Saturday 6 September 2014 Thunder Alley Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 03:33:34 PM »
[sigh]  I'm going to have to miss IDPA this month.  Again.

(USPSA Iowa Sectional in Ankeny that day.)

HOWEVER, I should be able to make the one next month, as long as nothing strange happens....

Hm.  Just noticed the local rules section there.
All IDPA rules apply as well as those added by IDPA Nebraska (e.g., no polo shirts or tight race gun competition shirts as cover garments; cover garments must be a jacket, vest, or unbuttoned shirt that fulfills the IDPA arm-lift rule).

So, no front-closed shirts as concealment?  (I note that I use, on a daily basis, a front-closed polo shirt for concealment of a full-size handgun.)

Why not?  (Since many people use them.)

If the concealment garment fulfills the IDPA concealment rule, what is the problem?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:32:27 PM by jthhapkido »
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 06:29:05 PM »
[sigh]  I'm going to have to miss IDPA this month.  Again.

(USPSA Iowa Sectional in Ankeny that day.)

HOWEVER, I should be able to make the one next month, as long as nothing strange happens....

Hm.  Just noticed the local rules section there.
So, no front-closed shirts as concealment?  (I note that I use, on a daily basis, a front-closed polo shirt for concealement of a full-size handgun.)

If the concealment garment fulfills the IDPA concealment rule, what is the problem?

It's a conspiracy designed solely to sell vests.... ugly, hideous vests. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 06:43:56 PM »
A message has been sent to the Match Director.  I am the lowly messenger in this cabal.... although I will have vests for sale .....

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:19:33 PM »
A message has been sent to the Match Director.  I am the lowly messenger in this cabal.... although I will have vests for sale .....

....but they'll be ORANGE.

BRIGHT, HIDEOUS ORANGE.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:43:23 PM »
PM sent to you jthapkido. ..

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »
It's a conspiracy designed solely to sell vests.... ugly, hideous vests.

Now THAT made me laugh out loud.  Not to worry.  Only the fashion challenged from Texas would buy such a thing.

Fly
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:46:15 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 09:45:13 PM »

Because IDPA is intended to shape a person's habit pattern through positive reinforcement of proper use of defensive pistol skills in a course of fire...as long as you are only carrying on your hip and wearing a vest that you would never be seen in public with. So...you know...just like if you are carrying and had to use your handgun in self defense...except...different...but realistic.  ;)

Fly

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 04:57:12 AM »
Because IDPA is intended to shape a person's habit pattern through positive reinforcement of proper use of defensive pistol skills in a course of fire...as long as you are only carrying on your hip and wearing a vest that you would never be seen in public with. So...you know...just like if you are carrying and had to use your handgun in self defense...except...different...but realistic.  ;)

Fly

No way a game can be realistic, unless somehow Waingro is involved:

(Rumor has it that this will be one of the stages for Saturday's match.)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 05:00:21 AM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 07:17:39 PM »
Okkkkaaayyyyyy...... I know that at the moment IDPA Nebraska has been hosting only Tier 1 (local club) matches....but it does have intentions of wanting to be at least at a Tier 2 host (sooner rather than later)... thus, I contacted the IDPA Area Coordinator a couple of months or so ago and asked him about polo shirts or race shirts, etc at matches as long as the handgun, etc are concealed.

The response was that we could allow the polo, etc type shirts at Tier 1 matches, but they wouldn't fly for the Tier 2 and above matches.  :o  And this is coming from an individual who has been involved in local, state, regional, and national matches over a lengthy period of time.

Thus, I will take sole responsibility as the Match Director for IDPA Nebraska for making the executive decision to have our matches in compliance with Tier 2 and above so that those shooters who participate are "practicing" in the IDPA match environment with the garments that would be expected of them at those upper level matches.

A shoot-me-vest or a construction-worker-don't-run-me-over vest is NOT required.  8)  One can use a button down shirt (from top to bottom) that the shooter needs to move out of the way as if it were a vest in order to acquire his/her handgun and magazines as long as the arm raised compliance is met.  At matches, I don't always wear a vest...I have worn my long black button down shirts (as I do when I am walking around in my real life) and I have even worn a long clinic gown to simulate being in a health clinic environment (which so happens to be what I do part-time and where I am allowed by the owner to carry concealed).

I have been to only one Tier 3 match, and no one of the 165+ shooters had anything but a vest.  I will be at a Tier 2 match next month with bullit, and we will certainly make observations and ask questions.

I can also certainly go up the chain to IDPA HQ and get a final clarification as HQ is very intrigued with our nomad type of approach of starting and spreading the sport in Nebraska by not being wedded to a single range (IDPA Nebraska was granted its own Club Member ID # which is atypical since usually it is the range that has the club #), but I stayed with the Area Coordinator's remarks because of his close and long-term relationship with IDPA HQ.

Ok, I'm off to the range to set up the match for tomorrow.  Let the acid rain responses begin as I will come back wearing my IDPA-compliant and acid resistant jacket and hood and face mask!  ;D

Staying positive!!!

Aldo
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 01:20:23 PM »
Aldo, I am with Thomas on this one.... regardless of what is going on at bigger matches, I am intrigued as to how they justify "their rule" vice what is written in the IDPA rule book.  If time allows, would you mind exploring...maybe with Greg.....

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 01:37:51 PM »
Mutiny!!  It's been a long time since I've been in the middle of a good one.  :)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 01:41:10 PM »
Aldo, I am with Thomas on this one.... regardless of what is going on at bigger matches, I am intrigued as to how they justify "their rule" vice what is written in the IDPA rule book.  If time allows, would you mind exploring...maybe with Greg.....

This kind of subordination would NOT be tolerated in the Navy.   ;)

Fly

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »
Aldo and I have been in comms so therefore no mutiny. ...nothing to see here...carry on....

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 10:43:09 PM »
Scores are posted...

https://www.uberscoremaster.com/osm_match_scores.aspx?matchid=D8F8A0E1-46C0-44E4-81A7-BE9E65748AB9

And APPARENTLY bullit has been practicing this stage in his basement for the last couple of weeks.  :laugh:

Fly

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 06:14:52 AM »
Actually Fly it was due to my use of a genuine Glock vice a knock off Kilo Lima ......

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 06:26:50 AM »
... thus, I contacted the IDPA Area Coordinator a couple of months or so ago and asked him about polo shirts or race shirts, etc at matches as long as the handgun, etc are concealed.

The response was that we could allow the polo, etc type shirts at Tier 1 matches, but they wouldn't fly for the Tier 2 and above matches.  :o  And this is coming from an individual who has been involved in local, state, regional, and national matches over a lengthy period of time.

Thus, I will take sole responsibility as the Match Director for IDPA Nebraska for making the executive decision to have our matches in compliance with Tier 2 and above so that those shooters who participate are "practicing" in the IDPA match environment with the garments that would be expected of them at those upper level matches.

A shoot-me-vest or a construction-worker-don't-run-me-over vest is NOT required.  8)  One can use a button down shirt (from top to bottom) that the shooter needs to move out of the way as if it were a vest in order to acquire his/her handgun and magazines as long as the arm raised compliance is met.  At matches, I don't always wear a vest...I have worn my long black button down shirts (as I do when I am walking around in my real life) and I have even worn a long clinic gown to simulate being in a health clinic environment (which so happens to be what I do part-time and where I am allowed by the owner to carry concealed).

I have been to only one Tier 3 match, and no one of the 165+ shooters had anything but a vest.  I will be at a Tier 2 match next month with bullit, and we will certainly make observations and ask questions.

I can also certainly go up the chain to IDPA HQ and get a final clarification as HQ is very intrigued with our nomad type of approach of starting and spreading the sport in Nebraska by not being wedded to a single range (IDPA Nebraska was granted its own Club Member ID # which is atypical since usually it is the range that has the club #), but I stayed with the Area Coordinator's remarks because of his close and long-term relationship with IDPA HQ.

I appreciate that you asked "higher up" about this---but boy do I not understand their comments.

I'm not surprised that at higher level matches everyone wore vests, because they are simply faster.  However, last I knew, IDPA was rather strictly against people wearing "competition-only" gear, and if they are now saying that people can't wear normal shirts and effectively have to wear an IDPA competition uniform to shoot, that rather goes against what they purport to believe in...

The idea that a normal polo shirt, used everyday for standard concealment, is now not legal in IDPA competition for concealment, makes no sense to me.  Did the AC actually cite any rule regarding "allowed clothing" or anything?

Looking at the rules, section 8.9 covers concealment garments---and nowhere in there is there any mention at all about "no closed-front shirts" or anything similar.  The only requirements are in regard to what it must cover and when, plus additional commentary about how you can't alter your garment to make things easier.

So I wonder where it came from?  The rules clarification updates that periodically come out have made no mention of anything like it.

I am overall amused by the fact that to shoot IDPA, I have to buy a different holster and a different concealment garment to use strictly for this competition, because the AIWB holster and polo shirt I use for concealment on a daily basis isn't legal for IDPA competition, and instead I have to game it by wearing an OWB hip holster and vest.

Note:  This commentary isn't a diatribe against Aldo or anyone else at our local IDPA matches.  Like I said, I appreciate that Aldo checked with higher up, and is attempting to run matches so that people will be ready for how level 2 and 3 matches are run.

I just wonder what the AC's justification is for saying that polo shirts for concealment will not be allowed, as opposed simply saying that they aren't optimal for higher-level competition.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 07:51:37 AM »
One unsolicited comment jthapkido ....

I am shooting in the KS state match in October.  AT THIS TIME, I am planning on simply having my everyday polo shirt (weather permitting) covering my gun.  I will be interested to see how they are going to handle for this match .... along with support/justification if they disallow.  Of course for these higher tiered matches these CoFs must be signed off by HQ.  If they intend to have the "you must use a vest/open button shirt, etc" I may pay the $100 challenge fee to HQ to review....

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 08:09:51 AM »
Despite my major faux pas on Stage 1, I absolutely dominated the CDP division.* 

*One entry

:)