< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Really Digging On Coated Lead SWC's  (Read 968 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Really Digging On Coated Lead SWC's
« on: September 11, 2014, 05:23:37 PM »
I just started loading up some Black Bullet International coated lead SWC's for the 45. 

Wow.

I cleaned up the shootin' iron tonight after it had digested 300 or so rounds.  Normally, the conventional lubed lead stuff would have gummed up the works, particularly the chamber, by now.  Rounds would not always fully chamber due to the lead buildup.  Also, there was no lube buildup to speak of on the frame and slide, which made clean up much, much easier and more pleasant. 

And... and great reduced smoke.  Which seems to make the SO's happy at Thunder Alley. 

One must be more careful when seating and crimping so as to not damage the coating.  But it's worth it IMHO.

Several vendors out there are currently offering lead bullets with the "Hy Tec" coating on them.  They run about $10 more/thousand over conventionally lubed bullets. 

Black Bullets International.
Blue Bullets
Bayou Bullets
Missouri Bullet Company. 

There are probably others. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline noylj

• Forum Member
Re: Really Digging On Coated Lead SWC's
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 04:45:56 PM »
Personally, I have never been bothered by smoke, or what little there is, with lead bullets and certainly no SO as ever mentioned a thing about it.
Yep, coated bullets are great, but they do cost a bit more and, as you mention, the coating can be damaged.
I find that the swaged and coated bullets from Precision Bullets are the best of all the coated bullets I have tried.
Have fun.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 06:32:31 PM »
Lorimor almost set off the smoke alarm six buildings away at one match.... and it was outdoors....

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 08:14:31 PM »
Lorimor almost set off the smoke alarm six buildings away at one match.... and it was outdoors....

heh
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller