< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Travesty Alert  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Travesty Alert
« on: September 17, 2014, 08:20:13 AM »
A&E has canceled Longmire.  Said the average age of the audience was 61.  Too old to follow their business model if 18 to 34.   

So Ho (pun intended, if you saw the last episode) got shot in the final scene? 

Best closing line in a TV show that I can remember.   

I will send a letter to A&E telling them I think they messed up.   

Any fans of the show in this forum?   

They should have kept on Walt's girlfriend in season 3, she was sweet! 

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Travesty Alert
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 11:56:49 AM »
My wife watched Longmire, I occasionally set through it with her. I had a hard time getting into it since he carried that bloody 1911.

Justified with Timothy Olyphant, now there is a good series, at least Raylan carries a Glock.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 12:53:28 PM »
I watched Longmire, and I'm older than the average age of the audience.  I watched it because I liked the stories, and because Longmire carried a 1911.   ;D  ;D   I was po'd when they cancelled the show. 

BTW, I think Branch's old man forced Branch to shoot him in the final scene.  I guess we'll never know for sure though.

Ghost
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »
What other bad guys could have been lingering in the shadows of that scene?  Maybe a Connally shot someone else?   The only person we know did not get shot, was Walt, as he shares the last scene with the owl.

Where the series turned south, INHO, was by not using one of the prettier cards in their deck, the last season, Lizzie.

Had they played out a three way sparks angle between the two women in Walt's life, that would have given the series more sizzle.  They left this role completely out of season 3.

They also penned out of the story line, the romantic involvement between Branch & Katie.   In making the series more clerical watching Ferg move from desk to desk, and less personal, they got off the track a bit of what made the show pop. IMHO.

I hope the series gets picked up by another network.  The more time goes by, the less likely that is to happen.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 03:05:56 PM by Gary »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »
Any fans of the show in this forum?

Damn! Probably my favorite show
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 06:52:23 PM »
I  figured Branch did the shooting as the last scene is of a shot gun shell bouncing on the ground. Branch let his shells fall where they may but his dad was pocketing all his
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 07:58:18 PM »
Damn! Probably my favorite show

Believe it or not, I never heard of it before today :o

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 08:20:57 PM »
Bummer, I kinda liked that show and it was one of the very few my wife liked also

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 10:19:16 PM »
I watched it all the time before we dumped cable.  Was hoping to find it online just never got around to it this season.  Good show, I thought.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 12:13:12 AM »
The series seasons can be purchased, 1, 2 & 3 on Amazon.   I don't get cable, so I purchased them.  About a $1.80 an episode. 

I imagine a few free ones are on you tube. 

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?url=search-alias%3Dinstant-video&field-keywords=longmire&sprefix=long%2Cinstant-video%2C206
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:23:05 AM by Gary »

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 05:08:13 PM »
That's disappointing. The Omaha Public Library has the first two seasons on DVD. I watched the first season and have a hold on the second. I hope and expect them to get the third. The public library in Lincoln probably has it, too. If not, there is interlibrary loan which only costs a dollar or two postage.

Watching the first season prompted me to start reading the Longmire book series. The first book, "The Cold Dish", deviates significantly from the pilot. It is slower paced and goes into more detail than can be squeezed into the available time.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 11:18:41 PM »
I have thought about getting started on the books, but I try to spend my reading time on non fiction.  Tempting.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 05:11:53 AM »
Seems there is a real life murderer mingled into the cast.   

The unlikeable Denver police detective once served seven years on prison for second degree murder.  I knew I did not like that guy.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:33:48 AM by Gary »