< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: When you Carry do you carry an extra magazine?  (Read 7391 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: When you Carry do you carry an extra magazine?
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »
One of the most common types of malfunctions with semi-automatic firearms is a magazine failure.  I carry a spare.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »
I don't carry anymore because I haven't got my permit since moving to Nebraska, but in my old state I always carried a spare magazine if I had room. I normally wear carpenter pants so it fit perfectly in one of the little pockets on my right leg. It was also an interesting experiment in human perception because it really wasn't very hidden, but nobody ever saw it or if they did they didn't know what it was.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 09:39:43 AM »
I carry a cap & ball revolver, so my reloads consist of a powder flask, a tin of percussion caps, some lead balls, and a tub of bear grease to seal the chambers.  It's a lot to carry so I usually just leave it on my pack mule.  Most of the time I figure my steely eyed stare perfected by years of watching Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns is a sufficient deterrent.

(Yes, I know that quote doesn't go with that set of movies.  And yet....)

And just because we don't want people thinking that it is the gun that makes the man....

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »
I carry a cap & ball revolver, so my reloads consist of a powder flask, a tin of percussion caps, some lead balls, and a tub of bear grease to seal the chambers.  It's a lot to carry so I usually just leave it on my pack mule.  Most of the time I figure my steely eyed stare perfected by years of watching Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns is a sufficient deterrent.

You sir, win the internet.

On a serious note, I carry a 26 with a +2 floorplate, appendix, and the vast majority of the time I do not carry a spare magazine. Is more better? Is redundancy better? Is redundancy better? Is redundancy better? Sure, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and I choose to draw it where I draw it. Nothing against those who choose to carry a spare (especially for caps below 10) or two, or even a backup gun, or two, that's fine if it works for you.

Other than carrying more ammo and more guns, here are some additional things to think about:
-Redundancy is better, but so is regular maintenance and testing of the gear you do carry
-Actually practice, regularly, more than once a month, and you might, just might, make the one magazine you carry worth more than the three you could be carrying

Again, just food for thought.

(This post has ALSO been brought to you by the idea of carrying three guns and two extra magazines, all in 10mm, all with chamber empty, and all with a Saf-T-Blok installed.  In your pocket. OR disassembled on the dashboard whilst being pulled over and)

Offline H2O_King89

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 10:27:06 AM »
Yes I Cary two extra.

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 10:27:11 AM »
My EDC is a Glock 27 in a Sneaky Pete holster. My spare mag is in my left pocket in a Sneaky Pete mag holder. It all works fine for me.
WØCHF

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 11:40:39 AM »
Honestly, I rarely carry a spare mag.  My carry gun holds 14+1, and I've shot it enough to trust that the mags are reliable.  A spare mag is better than not having one, but it's also extra stuff to carry. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »
Honestly, I rarely carry a spare mag.  My carry gun holds 14+1, and I've shot it enough to trust that the mags are reliable.  A spare mag is better than not having one, but it's also extra stuff to carry. 

Kinda how I do it.  If it is summer, my gun (which gets shot rather often so I know how it acts and I know whether or not my magazines are reliable) carries 17+1, and I don't carry an extra mag because it is harder to conceal and I've hit my personal annoyance limit on stuff in my pockets etc when I'm wearing shorts and a polo. 

If it is winter, I probably have an extra mag weak-side OWB (matter of fact, in the mag pouches I use for IDPA---yay, using actual carry equipment in a match!) since I'm wearing a fleece or something over pants and a polo.  Easy to hide, no annoyance factor, I've got 34 rounds on-board, and with that setup I can easily go from empty/locked back to reloaded and firing a shot in less than 2 seconds.  (If I've already fired 18 rounds, please come help me because I'm in serious trouble.)

Would I do it differently if the firearm I was carrying held less ammo?  Maybe....I dunno.  There have been times with a PF9 in dress clothes with no extra mag....I wasn't happy, but that was what I had to work with.  If I happen to have a G26 in deep concealment I'm at 10+1 with no extra mag just because deep concealment needs tends to also mean I've got no place to put a mag where I could actually get at it in any reasonable amount of time.

The whole things really depends on your comfort level, how much you trust your equipment, how much practice you have with your equipment, your lifestyle and the need to lots of rounds...  (How fast is your reload?  After all, if you need it, you need it Right Now as someone else is trying to kill you...)

I know a number of people who pocket-carry a j-frame with 5 rounds, and call it good.  I'm not going to tell them they are wrong.  After all, stats say a majority of altercations are stopped with 1 round or less (hits or not).  If the gun goes bang, that's significantly better than yelling loudly.

I do tend to think there is an outer ridiculous-level limit on gear, based on a realistic appreciate of your lifestyle.  People can go beyond that, of course---load yourself up, and have fun!  No issues.  That, however, is different from saying it is necessary or needed.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 02:02:08 PM »
Good point, in the winter I'm a lot more likely to carry a spare mag, or even a full sized gun instead of a compact. 

I do carry a J Frame when I'm running, biking, etc. since it's super lightweight and easy to conceal.  And yes, I'm able to conceal a J Frame under biking gear.  Just let the thought of me in spandex sink in for a while.....

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »
I've come to the realization that to pack everything on your person ( G23, extra mags, pepper spray, flashlight, pocket knife, cell phone, wallet, keys, etc...etc.) you have to give in and start dressing like a slob.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Kodiak

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »
I almost always have my spare mag. I carry a g30 with the ten round mag and carry a13 round mag in my pocket. Trying to find a mag holder for it if anyone wants to throw out suggestions. Double stack .45 is proving to be a little more elusive

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2014, 03:20:31 PM »
I've come to the realization that to pack everything on your person ( G23, extra mags, pepper spray, flashlight, pocket knife, cell phone, wallet, keys, etc...etc.) you have to give in and start dressing like a slob.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/spec-ops-combat-suspenders-100650101.html

There you go.  Support!

(No kidding, a normally-respected national-level firearms trainer who I won't name actually talked about the fact that it helped him carry three guns {two full-size, one compact}, three knives, and a reload for each gun along with his OC, baton, and flashlight.  No, he wasn't an on-duty police officer, this was his CCW rig.  He talked about this in his weekly newsletter.   :o )

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 03:24:46 PM »
I almost always have my spare mag. I carry a g30 with the ten round mag and carry a13 round mag in my pocket. Trying to find a mag holder for it if anyone wants to throw out suggestions. Double stack .45 is proving to be a little more elusive

Some people really like these, if you are able to go with OWB vertical carry...

http://www.kytexgear.com/products-page/pistol-mag-carriers/?items_per_page=all

(They ride pretty low, and that helps.)

Some people (Fly?) really like the Dale Fricke Joab horizontal mag pouches. I run out of waist space with the sideways carry, and in my case, they actually print more than vertical carry, however it significantly varies by body type and mode of dress.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 03:26:28 PM »
[deletion of double post]

....no idea why that happened.  :/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:04:11 PM by jthhapkido »

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 08:05:51 PM »
Just let the thought of me in spandex sink in for a while.....

OMG, do I have to? :o

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 08:12:10 PM »
With the PF9 I always carry a spare.  With the 17, don't worry about quite so much. 

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2014, 10:45:27 AM »
I don't carry anymore because I haven't got my permit since moving to Nebraska, but in my old state I always carried a spare magazine if I had room. I normally wear carpenter pants so it fit perfectly in one of the little pockets on my right leg. It was also an interesting experiment in human perception because it really wasn't very hidden, but nobody ever saw it or if they did they didn't know what it was.

It is true what you say about human perception. I used to worry about printing and felt that everyone around probably knew I was armed. But I have come to realize that most people are in their own little world, and are not noticing what others around them are  doing. I think I notice others more than they notice me. I see things like Sneaky Pete holsters, vests, man bags, packpacks etc and I wonder what is being carried.
I too wear carpenter jeans a lot and sometimes slip a spare mag down the long tool pockets above the knee.
Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 12:22:49 PM »
I have had days where I realized, after I got home and looked in the mirror, that I was printing...BAD! Never got a funny look or question.  People are just not that aware.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 01:39:11 PM »
Only time anyone ever noticed on me was someone I know, who knows I carry and also is a CHP holder.  And I was wearing a fairly snug fitting tshirt.

Offline Kodiak

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2014, 02:29:34 PM »
Some people really like these, if you are able to go with OWB vertical carry...

http://www.kytexgear.com/products-page/pistol-mag-carriers/?items_per_page=all

(They ride pretty low, and that helps.)

Some people (Fly?) really like the Dale Fricke Joab horizontal mag pouches. I run out of waist space with the sideways carry, and in my case, they actually print more than vertical carry, however it significantly varies by body type and mode of dress.

I find the orientation wording a little alien. Which one do I want to carry on my left side and access with my left hand?