< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Deb Walz  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
Deb Walz
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »
Because she deserves her own post.

I am a firm believer in the old saying; Behind every good man there is a good woman. 

I knew Deb from our many visits to the Walz home. She always made us feel welcome in her home and kept Pam occupied while Dan and I retreated to bowls of his gunroom to discuss guns, reloading and the NFOA. Some have wondered why I have all but given up posting Nebraska gun stuff to my website. Dan stepped up and started saying the well-researched things I would have before I could get to it.

Dan was instrumental in the early days of the NFOA. He was my sounding board and became my mentor. I know that Dan would not have been able to dedicate the thousands of hours he has to, me as a friend and, the NFOA without the support and sacrifices of Deb. I believe the NFOA forum and the NFOA itself is what it is today because Deb Walz believed in and supported her husband Dan.

Pam and I are deeply saddened by the loss of a friend and have not only Dan but his whole family in our thoughts and prayers. We can be sure that through the grace of the divine almighty that our friend has passed to her glory and is in the arms of Jesus Christ our Lord.

While we are taking this time to support a dear friend and grieve for his loss we should also look to our own house and thank our spouses and family for the time they have given up or sacrificed so that we can contribute to the NFOA.

Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Deb Walz
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:48:01 PM »
Scribe I never find the words to express my thoughts in times like these, but what you just posted sums up many of the feelings I have.

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »
Well put, Thanks Scribe for putting into words the way I and I'm sure most others feel
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:34:38 PM »
Amen

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:35:14 PM »
Thanks Gunny
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 05:47:01 PM »
 Debra L. Walz, of Lincoln, NE, passed away after battling cancer on Wednesday September 17th surrounded by her family.

She was born February 17, 1954 in Omaha, NE to Harold (Jake) and Jeanette (Jen) Wattles (Johnson). She grew up in Friend, NE, Walnut, IA, and Lincoln, NE. She graduated from Lincoln High in 1972, and attended the University of Nebraska. She became a Certified Alcoholism and Drug Counselor (CADAC) and worked for Houses of Hope, the Independence Center, and St. Monica's. Later she worked as a lactation consultant for MilkWorks and spoiling babies for Fingerprints Child Care. She was a member of Golden Retriever Rescue In Nebraska, where she was a board member and evaluated new homes for rescued goldens. She was a group leader for La Leche Leauge, and a member of The Write Stuff poetry and writing group. She was a friend of Bill W. for 35 years, and a member of Alanon and Alateen. She was a published poet with the Plain Song Review, read her poetry at the South Mill, and an abstract artist who was featured at The Crescent Moon in 2013. She was an avid gardener who loved roses and lilacs, and loved spending time on her deck with her goldens.

She married Daniel J. Walz on December 6th, 1980, and they were married for nearly 34 years. They had four daughters and two sons. She loved spending time with her with her family, watching movies or football, and especially taking trips to her spiritual home at Longs Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park. She enjoyed drinking coffee with friends and sharing with them on Facebook.

Deb is survived by her husband, Dan, her children, Casey Ketterer and husband Jason (Omaha, NE), Erin Kavan-Spiegel (Denver, CO), Andrew Walz and wife Cara (Lincoln, NE), Samantha Walz (Lincoln, NE), and her goldens Sasha and Gunner. She was also survived by her sisters Melanie Stubblefield, Judy Donald, and Debbie Rene Cheever all of Lincoln. She had 9 grandchildren, Dylan, Grant, and Carter Spiegel of Denver, CO, Colin, Garrett, and Easton Ketterer of Omaha, NE, and Sydney, Jackson, and Emma Walz of Lincoln, NE. Preceded in death by her parents Jake and Jen Wattles, daughter Lindsey Kate Walz, son Christian Marcus Walz, and her beloved dogs, Woita, Shammy, Max, Sophie, and Selka.

An open house celebration of her life will be held at Antlers Center at 2501 South St. Lincoln, NE (27th and Sheridan) from 2-5pm on Saturday September 27th, 2014. Cremation, no visitation. In lieu of flowers, please send memorials to Golden Retriever Rescue In Nebraska PO Box 126 Boys Town, NE 68010.

Her creativity, inspirational attitude, beautiful compassionate soul, and joy for life will be missed dearly by all of her family and friends. She left us beautiful memories, her love is still our guide, although we cannot see her, she'll be forever by our side.

One of Deb's favorite poems...

The Summer Day by Mary Oliver

I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.