< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Learning How to Shoot, Part IIB: Live Fire  (Read 1514 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Learning How to Shoot, Part IIB: Live Fire
« on: September 25, 2014, 04:57:29 PM »
Finally got the next part of the continuing series about "Learning How to Shoot" finished and up on the blog.

This time, it is about how to make the most effective use of your live range time.  Sometimes we just want to go to the range and SHOOT STUFF (which is fine) but in general, if you really want to get better, you need to have a better idea of how to go about it than that.

There certainly IS something to be said for just going to the range and having fun---I know I use range therapy fairly frequently.  :)  That being said, though, if you want to increase your skills, random shooting just isn't going to do it.  (And there is a limit on how much standard bullseye practice will make you better.)

http://precisionresponse.wordpress.com/2014/09/25/learning-to-shoot-part-iib-how-to-practice-live-fire-section/

This is the third post in a series about learning how to shoot:
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
Re: Learning How to Shoot, Part IIB: Live Fire
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 09:44:03 AM »
I got curious, so I added a poll---do you plan your range sessions or not?

Note: there are times when I go to the range just to plink and have fun.  However, most often I go to the range to attempt to get better, and for those times I have a plan, which I stick to most of the time.  So for me, the poll answer was:  "I go to the range to practice, and actually stick to my plan."

What happens with your range sessions, the majority of the time?

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 11:20:38 AM »
Having a plan and actually sticking to it are 2 different critters :laugh:

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »
Still new to shooting my own weapon, but I do try to have a plan when I go and sometimes I even get close to coming near to the plan.  ;D
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 08:15:39 PM »
I generally go to practice with a plan, but at some point I try to end with a little fun.

Offline Jeepguy

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 01:55:26 PM »
I am guilty of planning to make a plan when i get there and then just have too much fun to actually make the plan.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 08:37:15 PM »
I am guilty of planning to make a plan when i get there and then just have too much fun to actually make the plan.

I've had days like that.  :)

And there are times when I get there, get out targets, look at them, and decide that I'm just going to toss my plan and work on one thing that I'm already decent at, just to see if I do something ridiculous.  (Hasn't happened yet, but it is sure fun to try to get a .65 draw from a surprise start on a 7-yard A-zone...not really useful, but fun!)

Most times I stick to my plan and work on the things I suck at, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood, and need to have fun---but I don't want to walk off the range without being better at SOMETHING.

Draw to a 3-yard target and then transition to a 40-yard popper?  SURE! One-reload-one-reload-one-reload-one, all A-zone hits?  SURE!
Plate racks at 15 yards for speed?  SURE!

...most of the time I do actually work on more helpful drills.  :)