< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Alarm is sounding, but do we hear it?  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Alarm is sounding, but do we hear it?
« on: October 04, 2009, 07:53:04 PM »
http://journalstar.com/sports/recreation/outdoors/article_da5e3d70-b0a6-11de-8e52-001cc4c002e0.html

Joe Duggan: Alarm is sounding, but do we hear it?

BY JOE DUGGAN / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Sunday, October 4, 2009 12:25 am |

Sometimes I just want to ignore the alarm bells ringing for the future of hunting and fishing.

The experts tell us traditional outdoor sports are in a downward trend of participation that, unless reversed, ends with hunters and anglers as endangered species.

In Nebraska, frankly, that's hard to imagine.

Sure, we've seen declines in permit sales, like the rest of the nation. But somehow we feel insulated here.

It just seems like the hunting and fishing traditions run deeper and stronger in Nebraska, where even city dwellers like me can stay connected to land, water and wildlife. More importantly, we're passing our outdoor traditions down to our children.

Any downward trend will take much longer to seriously affect hunters and anglers in Nebraska, I've always thought. Guess it's sort of like seeing a tornado drop out of the sky and taking solace from the probability that it won't hit your house.

Then I listened to someone a few weeks ago who made the alarm bells sound louder than ever.

I was at a dinner hosted by the Nebraska Sportsmen's Foundation, made up of representatives from some of the state's leading conservation groups. The dinner was at the Lincoln Izaak Walton League, which invited guests to shoot a round of trap while the buffalo burgers were on the grill.

Among the guests was Lincoln Sen. Tony Fulton, who has worked to pass legislation important to hunters, anglers and conservationists. After dinner, Fulton shared a bit of his personal background, which explained why he's been a friend to outdoors enthusiasts.

He grew up in Auburn, a small, rural city about 75 miles southeast of Lincoln, In Auburn, he was a hunter and angler.

Then he made a surprising revelation - the shooting he did an hour earlier on the Ike's trap range was the first time he'd fired a shotgun in almost 20 years.

Like many others who grew up in small towns, he moved to Lincoln to attend the university. Then he met a city girl, fell in love, got a job, got married and started a family.

Now 37, he's father of five children who play baseball, enjoy gymnastics and study tae kwon do. But they don't hunt and fish.

He wishes they did, but the rigors of career and parenthood, coupled with a lack of opportunity, has prevented Fulton from introducing his children to the activities he once took for granted.

In other words, as a kid, hunting and fishing were easy and accessible, so he hunted and fished. As an adult, they're not, so he doesn't. And neither do his children.

Now replicate Fulton's story by the thousands. That's how outdoor traditions vanish, not over years and years, but in just a single generation.

Fulton thanked foundation members for inviting him to the range. It underscored the power of a personal invitation - to hunt, fish, shoot, watch wildlife or just get outside.

An invitation can keep someone in the community of American anglers and hunters, a community whose conservation achievements have no equal in the world. What will happen to wildlife and wild lands if hunters and anglers slowly fade into the sunset?

Reversing the downward trend will take time and lots of approaches. Many conservationists have been working hard in the trenches for years on some of those approaches. They deserve our respect, and our help.

The ending to this story is far from written.

But now I'm convinced we're all in the book, even Nebraskans.

Reach Joe Duggan at 473-7239 or jduggan@journalstar.com.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Alarm is sounding, but do we hear it?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:10:31 PM »
i read this article as well.  its was very interesting.

im happy that many members to the NFOA are getting their kids interested in hunting and/or shooting.

i plan on doing the same.......when i have kids that is.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 09:59:07 PM »
If fewer and fewer folks are hunting and fishing, why then is 80% of the ground that I hunted as a kid now off limits due to hunting leases?

If there is less opportunity to hunt now than "the good old days", why has my daughter bagged a deer at age 12 and I had to wait until I turned 14? 

I will admit my kids spend more time doing things other than hunting than I did...... but then again, there are more things to do these days.........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 04:20:18 AM »
I think this article is very true. I can speak for myself here. I am 26 years old and do target shooting for fun and to keep my skills proned for personal protection since I have a CHP, but I have never hunted in my life. I took the hunter safety course two years ago because I wanted some formal firearms training under my belt. But I really would like to hunt, I just have never done it and would never venture out on my own. Of all the friends and people I know who own guns not one has ever invited me out to go hunting with them. And many of them simply don't hunt either and never have hunted but they own guns for protection. The few that do hunt have never invited me, even though I have sent signals that I was interested. I am a very safe person on the range as well as in my daily life. People who know me are aware that I am a very cautious person.
I also live in a city, in the Omaha metro, and I do think that city people are less acustomed to firearms and hunting. I have heard and read that America's small towns and country towns are dying because the young are all leaving for jobs in the cities.
So I can clearly see the warning bells dangling back on forth.

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:13:39 AM »
Being an upland game hunter, I can see the decline.  I remember when I was a kid and we always had hunters from Georgia up.  I lived in the south central part of the state, and there are no more good hunting grounds and no more out of state hunters willing to make a long trip up.  Heck, even I and a couple other guys will be traveling up to South Dakota in late October to chase some ringnecks!  Now if only the NE Game and Parks could do for pheasants & quail what they have done for deer & turkey, I would be a happy hunter!

Offline Mosin

• NFOA Full Member
  • Go ahead make my day!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 11:24:37 AM »
A shooting range like GI has would help.  Most of the city people I talk too would say.  I don't have a place to practice.  They don't have a clue whats out there. :-\  I need to say I mean no offense to any large city hunters first.  I grow up on a farm in Fillmore County. On opening morning of the birds seasons we would show up at our property to hunt.  We would find Omaha or Lincoln pickups in the driveways. >:(  We would ask them if they had permission?  They always said, yes from the farmer down the road.  I would say oh, you mean Ed over there.  They would say yes!  I would say, thats funny Ed does not live there.  This is our land and you don't have permission please leave. >:(  Some farmers are not so nice. ;D  They find it hard to resist a quarter section with a spring running threw it and has been in a grass land for more than 10 years.  So farmers get fed up and post all their property.  Part of the problem?  I can under stand their frustration on not owning land but they got to under stand the farmers and locals frustrations.  I have quit hunting and fishing too because of not living back home.  Where you grow up you can hunt and fish all the land around you.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 01:32:23 PM »
We've had that same problem for years.  I had some A-holes chasing a fox through my field in broad daylight last winter in their pickup.  I called the sheriff's dept. and someone showed up about 2 hours later to take a report.  Of course, nothing ever came of it.  Back when the cops used to get here in a few minutes(years ago), we caught a couple and my parents had the trespassers prosecuted.

Please get permission before going onto someone's land!!

Back on topic...
Some reasons that I see for the decline in hunting/fishing:
Permit fees keep going up.
Less places to hunt/fish without paying.
Busy lives.
Expensive equipment/ammo.
Laziness/dis-interest of kids(many would rather text on the cellphone that they don't really need).
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 06:23:44 PM »
We have had the same problem with trespassers for years. We own a couple of really good fields that seem to attract out of staters and a local group of people that don't think they need permission. So that is why we are completely posted. That doesn't mean if you come and ask we will tell you no. It means come and ask and most likely if there's no one out there or no one has been there that day you can most likely walk thru.

Best story ever was one day when we came out of the creek to find a truck in the field (less than 100 yds from my stand) and when we asked them who they had gotten permission from, they said my dad's name, (since its the name that was on the plat map. I looked at dad and just asked him if he had given anyone permission. They left quickly.

Anyway, yes I know in my family alone there is only a 1 in 3 chance that you will stick with hunting once you go to college. For me I love it and go out as often as possible. But my sibblings seem to leave the area and never come back even to hunt. I know my little brother would love to and tries to make it back but school and work seem to always work against him.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 07:12:59 PM »
Last year while deer hunting with my brother in law on the land he farms with my dad we saw some jerks about 1/2 mile away across the pasture actually open a gate and drive onto our land.  We went to go run them off but the cows chose that moment to get out :(.  This year I'm trying to talk them into putting boards with nails on the ground across all of their gates.

I agree the decline of hunting is a serious problem.  We all need to do whatever we can to get the next generation involved in hunting and shooting.  I know how easy it is to lose touch when you move to the city.  I didn't hunt for probably 10 years after leaving home and moving to Lincoln.  A 3 hour drive to your hunting ground makes it tough.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:14:46 PM by bkoenig »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 08:11:01 PM »
This year I'm trying to talk them into putting boards with nails on the ground across all of their gates.

my father and i thought about doing the same thing.  is that legal?  i think its legal as long as its on your land.  i doubt we'd ever do that, because everyone knows who owns what land and we're scared of the payback or revenge.

also, what if someone is trespassing on your land without permission and gets hurt, can the landowner get sued?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 08:14:23 PM »
I'm not 100% sure it would be legal to put nails down, to tell you the truth.  I'm pretty sure if a trespasser gets hurt on your land that you're liable, though.  What a screwed up world we live in.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »
Pretty sure you would be in trouble if someone stepped on a nail and drove it through their foot, or you may have to pay for tires. Get a chain and padlock, post a no tresspassing sign, or a hunting with written permission only sign. Call the game warden or county sheriff if someone is trespassing or hunting on your land. Do not pull a gun on them for any trespassing, or you will be the one going to jail, and have your guns confiscated. Use that phone on your camera if up close, write down their license plate number and vehicle description.

One trick I have seen, dress up a scarecrow in hunters orange and place it in a spot visible from the road. It works to keep trespassers out. The scarecrow can be in a vehicle or on a lawn chair, but it works.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:56:00 PM by Dan W »
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
I'm not 100% sure it would be legal to put nails down, to tell you the truth.  I'm pretty sure if a trespasser gets hurt on your land that you're liable, though.

yea, thats sooo stupid!!!!!  if they are trespassing, they are breaking the law!

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »
Although I understand that it is hard to find time to get out in the woods sometimes I do not understand why some hunters don't take thier kids with them though. My oldest daughter has been going with me since she was 8 and I am planning on taking my youngest here real soon. It is our obligation to take them out and teach them what this is all about. There is nothing better to me than a spring morning in the woods watching the sun come up over a hill, listening to the thunder of that first gobbler with my kid.

This is the result.

GET YOUR KIDS INVOLVED IN HUNTING !!
It's not that hard if you make the effort.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:45:05 PM by huskergun »
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Mosin

• NFOA Full Member
  • Go ahead make my day!
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 11:58:29 PM »
Nice ground buzzards huskergun! ;D  I have wanted to go turkey hunting but have done it yet.  Maybe some day.  I think my son and I would like it lot.  If you have some one trust passing just chain the gate and wait for the law. ;D

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 03:38:39 AM »
I don't know about the legality of putting nails on the ground. However I did loose a good game cam since I put it up in a place that would catch people trespassing. And I believe a law a year or two ago changed the fact that landowners were liable should someone get hurt on your property. I happen to remember that there was a huge stink when they closed down all the university ground around here when someone sued for a broken ankle. I am not 100% positive on this but honestly I believe they reopened all the ground after a law went through that changed that.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »
 Be prepared. Once you go you won't ever want to stop. Turkey FEVER !! . You'll really love it with your son. Go do it.
 I have had my run ins with trespassers. I caught one last year that came in behind me while I was turkey hunting in the spring. He and his budy were mushroom hunting.... The idiots however were seen driving thier boses truck right through the landowners plowed field ( because they couldn't go through the gate). The companys phone number was on the side of the truck soooooooo............ I desided to give the number a call. Turns out he wasn't supposed to be driving that truck except for work. His bose thank me, he wasn't happy that his truck was in a corn field 30 miles away from where it was suppossed to be. The moron had some explaining to do I think. Needless to say I let them know I was standing next to thier truck before I left. Things that go BOOM will get thier attention real fast. Not 10 minutes later we watched them getting the hell out of there. Of course they went through the field again. I would never think about doing that.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:37:30 PM by huskergun »
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 07:14:29 PM »
The liberals have found out that by attacking hunting rights, and making it harder to hunt, folks tend to stop by guns, the liberals win...  We've been pretty lucky to not have alot lease hunting in Nebraska, but it's coming, and that will end alot of folks hunting.  And again, gun ownership will go down...  I've lost several place to hunt to leases, the last several years...  At least there is still decent Map ground, but I'm spoiled, I rather drive five miles and hunt all day, then have to drive 30...  We all need to respect and work on community relations with the farmer/landowners...

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 08:50:53 PM »
Another way is to raise taxes, pissing of the land owner. Raise the taxes on ground the is great for hunting, and poor for anything else. Land owners are tired of it, and now leasing the ground out to help cover the taxes. Permission to hunt around any parks or public hunting areas is non-existant. "Outfitters" are getting in the thousands of dollars to bring in out of state, more dollars than sense city boys making more in spendable income than the average person's wage here in the state. They, along with taxes, are what is ruining hunting for the lower income hunter in the state.

We are turning into Europe, where hunting is a rich man's sport. It is a damn shame. >:(   

I refuse to spend $2500 for a canned hunt, guaranteed a shot at a 200 class buck.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 09:45:24 PM »
We are turning into Europe, where hunting is a rich man's sport. It is a damn shame. >:(   

That's something I've noticed too.  I just feel lucky my family owns some excellent hunting land.