< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: OH MY! OCing in the OC (Farmers Market)  (Read 6631 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
OH MY! OCing in the OC (Farmers Market)
« on: September 29, 2014, 02:46:51 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=635264519927204&set=a.284483481671978.70434.100003309867796&type=1

This going around on FB (not sure if there is a article elsewhere) posted from the LIBA President's page. ( I Googled it and only find some paranoid postings to the Market's FB page)

I think many of us may recognize this young lady???
While I'm still on the fence with the mass OC groups, the individual simply going about their day, carrying their choice of SD in the manner in which they see fit? --- KUDOS

(p.s. many folks are following a thread in which the board for the Market are to review their policies in regards to safety at their venue.  As your representative, I let them know the nearly 8000 members of the NFOA are also following this decision. )
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:52:15 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: OH MY! OCing in the OC (Farmers Market)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 03:22:57 PM »
At the Market?  Oh my!  Produce could get hurt!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 03:56:30 PM »
I gave em a piece of my mind
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline MissMichella

• Powder Benefactor
  • I'm just a girl with a glock.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 04:10:17 PM »
*Sigh*
Yes, that's me.  And if I had known my photo would be posted online and shared, I would have brushed my hair.

I admit, I feel so much better after reading the supportive posts.  I was just buying cheese at the same market I've carried at for the last three years.  Didn't mean to cause trouble.   :-X

You have more confidence than a woman in a tampon commercial...
*Michelle*

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 04:35:05 PM »
I gave em a piece of my mind
Yes you did- twice even. ;)
But you used facts and stuff- they won't understand.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 04:38:07 PM »
*Sigh*
Yes, that's me.  And if I had known my photo would be posted online and shared, I would have brushed my hair.

I admit, I feel so much better after reading the supportive posts.  I was just buying cheese at the same market I've carried at for the last three years.  Didn't mean to cause trouble.   :-X

I know'd it was you!
LOL yeah, my first thought was, man that girl really let her hair go!  Musta just woke up?  ;)
 Seriously, though, I appreciate the positive manner which you carry yourself when carrying. 

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »
Good for you MissMichella. 

Offline MissMichella

• Powder Benefactor
  • I'm just a girl with a glock.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 04:58:59 PM »
Hahaha.  I look a little like the girl from "The Grudge."  It's a good reminder for me since OCers are scrutinized out and about.

Here's a copy of the email the Farmer's Market sent me after I emailed them regarding the picture posted all over their Facebook page.

Hi Michelle,
Thanks for sending me a message. I took down the photo of you posted to our Facebook page out of respect and to also help diffuse any further politicizing on the issue while we consider what to do as a board. I think we'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter. The best way to pass that along to the board would be via email. You may either send an email to me at ocrfm.manager@gmail.com or to our board president Kevin Loth at kevinloth@aol.com. Please cc me if you email Kevin directly, he doesn't check or respond to email as frequently as I do. I am hoping to have something resolved by Market on Sunday, so the sooner the better. Thanks, Megan OCRFM Market Manager (402)309-9096

If anyone wants to send some emails out, it would be great to get our voices heard.
You have more confidence than a woman in a tampon commercial...
*Michelle*

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 05:14:30 PM »
This is what we need more of. Two thumbs way up. The Blackhawk Serpa, same holster I've been CC my G23 in recently. I wish I had your courage, then I wouldn't have to wear shirts 2 times to big.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 06:27:48 PM »
Proud of you MM - I find it amusing that you are making some of the anti's heads explode with your photo. 

They want to associate all gun owners as giant bucktoothed bubbas locked and loaded up with army pants, a bowie knife and a couple ak's strapped on their back. 

An attractive young lady carrying has to make the anti's not know what to think!  You could be their daughter, their nurse, their bank teller, their childs school teacher, or their baby sitter!  You definitely put the American gun owner in a positive light.  Thank you for taking a stand!  You make the rest of us bucktoothed bubbas look a little better today.

66bigblock
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:39:30 PM by 66bigblock »
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 07:41:26 PM »
I sent them an email asking them not to make their market a unarmed victim zone. Everyone should do the same.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 08:59:18 PM »
My reply:

" The empowered woman who was spotted open carrying at the farmers market is a beacon of light for other women. She chooses to protect herself and not rely on others, is extremely polite, will answer any legitimate question you have about gun rights, and is not intimidating at all. She is a true ambassador for respectful law-abiding citizens.

Don't freak out at the sight of a responsible person who is armed. Freak out about the criminal who is illegally carrying and could hurt you without you having any way to protect yourself... oh and by the way, your anti-gun antics just deprived someone else of legally being able to defend themselves,  or even you."

Good work MM
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 11:30:26 PM »
Ugh! Shame on me for falling into a debate on FB with strangers who are very anti-gun, oh but wait they grew up around guns and can shoot straight! Ugh!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 08:17:04 AM »
My two cents .....   MissMichella et al.    I think the "argument" needs to be re-framed.  The last I read the U.S. Constitution, the First Amendment gives Ms. Amanda Gailey the RIGHT to post in writing and verbally her OPINION on carrying of firearms .... and I am all FOR it.  That being said, she and the OCFM need only read down the page to the Second Amendment which we all know was put there to prevent the infringing of our RIGHT to carry/own a firearm. 
FURTHERMORE, I would address Mrs. Gailey's "hysterics" regarding qualifications, training, etc with this..... there is NOTHING that REQUIRES or even alludes to her comments for carrying/owning... just as there are no qualifiers for her to speak FREELY as she so does .....

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 09:41:27 AM »
Proud of you MM - I find it amusing that you are making some of the anti's heads explode with your photo. 

They want to associate all gun owners as giant bucktoothed bubbas locked and loaded up with army pants, a bowie knife and a couple ak's strapped on their back. 

An attractive young lady carrying has to make the anti's not know what to think!  You could be their daughter, their nurse, their bank teller, their childs school teacher, or their baby sitter!  You definitely put the American gun owner in a positive light.  Thank you for taking a stand!  You make the rest of us bucktoothed bubbas look a little better today.

66bigblock

+ 1000, bigblock writes a lot better than I do.  But I'm also very proud of you Miss M.

When I was first starting to read the thread, even before getting to MM's post, asked myself if it could be Miss M?

Haven't read the facebook flap, but if I saw you in public, I would say glad your taking care of business.

Your ROCK Miss M.

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 10:22:50 AM »
before i took the time to really look at this, i thought it was an article printed somewhere, just at first glance.

i believe i'd be thoroughly pissed if someone, somewhere, snapped a random photo of me, and then started posting it all over facebook, and God knows where else...

seriously, this doesn't violate some form of privacy laws?

these people that do these sort of things, and think it is fine are solely mistaken.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 10:33:35 AM »
As far as i know, no privacy laws were broken, its a public space. I posted one thing, but those comments.... some are silly and some are downright hypocrisy. No one has applauded her for being a strong independent woman, ecxept for us.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 11:13:27 AM »
i believe i'd be thoroughly pissed if someone, somewhere, snapped a random photo of me, and then started posting it all over facebook, and God knows where else...

seriously, this doesn't violate some form of privacy laws?

Nope.  Appearing in public negates any expectation of privacy.  As such, as long as the person who is using the picture is not receiving money for its use, they can take pictures and post them all they like.  (If they receive money for it, then permission gets murkier depending on the circumstances.)

This is also why it is legal to record video of police officers in public, and post those videos publicly, by the way.  (In most states, that is.)

Reading some of the comments on the market page, we again see that a significant section of the vocal public values emotionalism and scare tactics as opposed to reason and fact.  Also, that most people 1) don't know anything about crime and violence, and 2) assume that it is other people's job to take care of them.

[sigh]
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 12:02:12 PM »
I think we need to formulate a letter to the farmers market directors and point out that a representative from Nebraskans Against Gun Violence went all activist at the sight of a 110lb woman respectively and legally opening carrying a retention holstered handgun as non intimidating as one possibility could. have them ask themselves how this activism on her part "reduces gun violence" in nebraska as her group's goal states, or does it just restrict that person legal right to do that. I just ran some numbers and outside of North Omaha Nebraska has a total homicide rate of less than 0.8 per 100,000! That puts us in the top 20 safest nations in the entire world. when was the last time that NAGV went into north Omaha and worked with community outreach and actually tried to help reduce the violence there? If they truly cared about reducing gun violence then they would focus on where the problem is and not trying to strip away an empowered woman's right to self defense in the legal manner of her choosing. She's worried about MM carrying legally and respectfully and worried that some "gun nut" is going to shoot up the joint. My next question is this, if some "nut" were going to shoot up the place do you think it makes a difference to the rest of the crowd in the manner of which a person carries? They're defenseless already, so it doesn't make any difference to them. Heck, her open carrying at least allows them to see the firearm.

No rudabagas were harmed in the crafting of this message.

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 12:04:51 PM »
slightly off this topic, but related.

On one of the FB pages regarding the Old Cheney FM, someone refrenced the Haymarket FM as being no guns allowed.  I cant find the post now, and I have searched the Haymarket website and FB page.  Can anyone clarify for me?  I cant see how a public street could be posted as no guns allowed, but in this town, who knows...

thanks,
66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.