< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cabelas Carry Policy  (Read 12055 times)

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Cabelas Carry Policy
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2010, 01:53:39 PM »
Have you ever been to a gun show when someone was shot by an idiot who left a gun loaded, or loaded a gun then pulled the trigger? How about when someone loads a bullet into a firearm then leaves the table, and someone else test fires it? I have been arond all three. Too many people want to dry fire the guns to test the trigger, even on rimfires. It is a matter of safety, there are too many idiots out there to risk it. Concealed permit holders are OK with me, but the tools who don't follow the basics of firearms safety have no business carrying a loaded gun at gun shows, and unfortunatley, there isn't an idiot detector at the front gate. The promoter sets the rules, guns are brought in to be sold or traded, and too many people don't treat guns with the #1 rule, to treat every gun as if it were loaded.

Every time an accidental discharge happens, it boldens the anti's movement against gun shows. When someone is shot, it can kill the show forever. Promoters are required to carry multimillion dollar insurance policies to cover the show for such things, and if someone is shot, their premiums can and will increase substantially.

I was at the Tulsa show in 1998. A private security guard had his gun checked and banded at the door. The guard goes in, gets to the middle of the show, unbands his gun, inserts a loaded magazine, racks the slide, points it at an unsuspecting bystander's legs, and shoots the gun through his right thigh and into his left thigh, breaking his femur. I heard the shot, and an EMT across the aisle grabbed a first aid kit and ran over to help. All the rules were in place, and it still happened, because many people are idiots, and I don't want them carrying a loaded weapon anywhere near me. The guard went to Jail.

A dealer I know was set up at Hastings a few years back. He claims someone put one round of ammo from a full box into the revolver it fit while he was away from the table. He didn't realize it, and thought he would dry fire the weapon into the table. Bang! He doesn't get to set up at Hastings anymore, period. Who's fault was it? His. He pulled the trigger. What if he killed someone?

Accidents happen, stupidity is rampant, and we need to do everything we can to help prevent those kinds of accidents.   
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2010, 09:24:12 AM »
There is now a sign in the window at the Kearney Cabelas. All firearms must be checked in with greeter. This doesn't say just "Viewable" firearms, it says ALL.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2010, 09:30:21 AM »
I saw that sign in Kearney, I am not going to go 60 miles back home to get all my guns and check them in.

I'm hoping that they are meaning the guns you are bringing in for trade or warranty, I could be wrong. I will not check in a CCW gun anywhere, if that is what they are thinking, I will not shop there.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2010, 10:18:51 AM »
I don't know about the Kearney store, but the Lincoln/ Omaha area Cabelas and Scheels both say that 'firearms are to be checked at door, does not apply to concealed firearms holders with issued permit"
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2010, 08:37:02 PM »
Ill take a pic of the sign tomorrow and post.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
It definitely says ALL.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:29:45 PM by akclark »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2010, 12:31:39 PM »
WOW! 
Maybe a store to store thing, Personally, if LaVista was posted as such, I might think twice before shopping there. I don't purchase alot there, but I still like to browse.  I wonder how the others are posted?  Come to think of it, my brothers and I were there last year when in GI for HHD, and I don't recall that sign. I'm almost positive we were all 'packin'.  :-\
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline tradhunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2010, 11:46:16 PM »
UPDATE

Talked to a gentleman from corporate a couple months ago( he got back to me the next day after leaving a message, while the in-store manager wouldn't return my multiple phone calls and messages for weeks). Been very busy and forgot to update everyone. He said that it is indeed the Cabelas policy that ALL Cabelas retail stores adhere to the OPEN AND CONCEAL privileges of Nebraska citizens. He said that if the state that the store is located in allows open/concealed carry they will absolutely honer it. He was an extremely professional and polite gentleman who actually answered my call while eating lunch on a business trip in Illinois and took the time to explain everything to me. He said that turnover at the retail stores is pretty high, and sometimes policies can get mottled or miss represented, and assured me the matter would be cleared up as soon as he finished his lunch. My conversation with this man reminded me why I do business there. The only guns that need to be checked are those that are going to be worked on, and if you carry you do not need to check it at the door. I have since open carried there many times with no further issues. Besides, if you carry, no matter WHAT, you NEVER unholster your weapon unless you plan to shoot it. I had some kid selling me a generator once at a local bike dealer want me to show him my gun. I though (H#!! no, u want me to get accused of aggravated assault or something!) , but I just politely declined.    
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:10:52 AM by tradhunter »

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »
I just returned from the Cabelas store in Kearney and there are no signs; whatsoever on the front door. :)

Offline TopGlock2009

• NFOA Full Member
  • Gotta Love Achmed!!!
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 10:06:12 AM »
Is there really a need to open carry in public? Yes, we have that right just as merchants have the right to ask you not to. Show some common sense and be respectful.

Cabelas has been a great store to deal with in LaVista. I am certainly appreciative of everything that they have done in support of NFOA. In fact, I very seldom go to Bass Pro even though I have to drive all the way across Omaha to get there.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2010, 08:43:58 PM »
Well said TopGlock
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »
Is there really a need to open carry in public? Yes, we have that right just as merchants have the right to ask you not to. Show some common sense and be respectful.

"Rights, much like muscles, wither away if not exercised regularly."

As for being "respectful", are you implying that by openly carrying a firearm, a person is being disrespectful?   

Of course, we should be respectful at all times, as we are representing a polite society.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2010, 06:49:17 PM »
Collision of rights.  We have a right to bear arms.  Private property owners have a right to dictate what is and is not permissible on their property.  

Cabelas allows concealed carry.  I think that's an excellent compromise.

How did our Bill of Rights get trampled on so successfully over the years?  How are our rights being infringed, even if just one little step at a time?  How did the language regarding being penalized by the GOVERNMENT for carrying in a biz if the biz owner puts up a sign?  If you answered "compromise", you are correct sir.

Support jpfo.org, saf.org and gunowners.org as the NRA compromises.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:51:08 PM by tut »
Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!

Offline smkndave

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2010, 10:23:34 AM »
I do agree that there are a lot of idiots out there but insinuate that only people who hold a CCP is ok is just wrong, there are many law biding and safety minded people out there that dont have a CCP. It seems that looking through many post's in the forums that this organization is more for CCP holders rights and not for gun rights in general. I did not join this for CCP rights I joined for all gun rights but I am begining to believe that I joined the wrong orginization.                                       

Have you ever been to a gun show when someone was shot by an idiot who left a gun loaded, or loaded a gun then pulled the trigger? How about when someone loads a bullet into a firearm then leaves the table, and someone else test fires it? I have been arond all three. Too many people want to dry fire the guns to test the trigger, even on rimfires. It is a matter of safety, there are too many idiots out there to risk it. Concealed permit holders are OK with me, but the tools who don't follow the basics of firearms safety have no business carrying a loaded gun at gun shows, and unfortunatley, there isn't an idiot detector at the front gate. The promoter sets the rules, guns are brought in to be sold or traded, and too many people don't treat guns with the #1 rule, to treat every gun as if it were loaded.

Every time an accidental discharge happens, it boldens the anti's movement against gun shows. When someone is shot, it can kill the show forever. Promoters are required to carry multimillion dollar insurance policies to cover the show for such things, and if someone is shot, their premiums can and will increase substantially.

I was at the Tulsa show in 1998. A private security guard had his gun checked and banded at the door. The guard goes in, gets to the middle of the show, unbands his gun, inserts a loaded magazine, racks the slide, points it at an unsuspecting bystander's legs, and shoots the gun through his right thigh and into his left thigh, breaking his femur. I heard the shot, and an EMT across the aisle grabbed a first aid kit and ran over to help. All the rules were in place, and it still happened, because many people are idiots, and I don't want them carrying a loaded weapon anywhere near me. The guard went to Jail.

A dealer I know was set up at Hastings a few years back. He claims someone put one round of ammo from a full box into the revolver it fit while he was away from the table. He didn't realize it, and thought he would dry fire the weapon into the table. Bang! He doesn't get to set up at Hastings anymore, period. Who's fault was it? His. He pulled the trigger. What if he killed someone?

Accidents happen, stupidity is rampant, and we need to do everything we can to help prevent those kinds of accidents.   

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2010, 10:35:59 AM »
Dave, I don't have a CCP. My post was about accidental discharges and why promoters of gun shows don't allow loaded weapons. There is not any company who makes a handheld idiot detector, so to save their butts, they have to draw the line somewhere. Their show, their rules. I set up at a lot of shows. I unload my piece when I get inside, store the gun away, and load it when I leave. I don't want to be the idiot who has an AD. I've even had people go behind my table and grab my stowed away gun (how would you like that?) and try to buy it, that is why I unload it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 10:50:41 AM by SBarry »
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2010, 07:57:44 AM »
You guys must have stirred the pot with Cabela's, I went there the other night and they have signs all over the place at the front doors saying that all guns must be checked but does not apply to concealed handguns with CHP holders. They must be having issues with people just walking back to the gun counter with weapons and not checking them.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2010, 08:03:23 AM »
The LaVista store has had those signs for quite some time.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »
I took my new Kahr PM40 to Cabelas to get fitted for a holster so I entered with the pistol in the box. I checked in with the guy at the front and received personal service the entire visit. He walked with me everywhere I went. It was kinda special to have that level of PERSONAL service. I saw this as a good thing in this case.

I don't think he even knew or cared that my XD40 was tucked in my waistband   ;D  :dink:

They do have a BIG sign before ya get to the front door that explains things.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2010, 02:37:13 PM »
is this the sign you guys are talking about at LaVista's store?

Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2010, 04:28:16 PM »
Lol, when I was there the other day they had those on the doors and some free-standing signs with the same verbage in several places around the entrance overhang.  I think they are trying to make a point.  :)

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX