< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cabelas Carry Policy  (Read 12058 times)

Offline tradhunter

• Forum Member
Cabelas Carry Policy
« on: October 04, 2009, 10:04:55 PM »
Recently carried into Cabelas in Kearney close to where I live, and was asked to check my gun in, or leave it at the vehicle. I asked to speak with a manager. I spoke with him regarding the "No Open Carry" policy as politely as diplomatically as I could, but naturally, he was in no position to change the policy. Ironically, I was carrying the Kimber pro carry I had purchased there, loaded with ammo I had purchased there also. I am writing an email currently to send to them regarding the policy they have. Apparently we are good enough for them to take our money for the guns and ammo, just not good enough to exercise our state constitutional right to open carry. Just thought you should have a heads up on this issue and add them to the "BLACK" list. I also sent a letter to the manager's boss who I was told had the authority to change policy. Copy of letter:
                                Dear Mr. Sukraw,

I am writing you today regarding a September 20th visit to your Kearney Cabelas retail store.  As an avid outdoors man and firearm enthusiast, I frequently open carry where ever I go, and have never been asked to leave any establishment I have ever been in this state.  That was until this visit.
          I understand and respect the State's open carry rights outlined in our state's constitution, and strictly adhere to provisions outlined by our state attorney general Jon Bruning.  However, on Sept. 20th, when entering the Kearney Cabelas while open carrying my Kimber pro crimson carry loaded with magtech ammo, both of which I had purchased there, I was stopped at the store by a greeter.  I was asked to check my firearm in, or leave it out in my vehicle.  I informed the greeter that I did not intend to remove the firearm from the holster because I was open carrying the pistol, not trading it.  The greeter told me that the store had a "No Open Carry" policy.  I then requested to speak with the manager on duty.  The young man I spoke with was polite and receptive to my suggestions, but understandably informed me he was not in a position to change policy, only to enforce it.  I asked him who I could write to or speak with regarding this issue. That sir, is how I acquired your email address.
           I wanted to express my concern with your store's position on open carry, and hopefully pursued you to reconsider.  Open carry is a constitutional right of every Nebraska citizen aloud to own a sidearm.  It was common knowledge throughout the history of this state and country that the freedom loving, upstanding law abiding citizens wore their sidearm in plane view to let those who would threaten the life of themselves, or another helpless innocent by standard that they would have the capability to protect themselves and the innocent if threatened.  Concealed carry has always been illegal because only those with sinister intentions would deem it necessary to hide the fact that they had a firearm.  That reason is why one must obtain a special permit to conceal carry. Unfortunately, this sets the precedence to the public, when someone does open carry that they need to be law enforcement, or they need a special reason to.  You might recall a tragic incident involving a young girl a few years back, being abducted by a man hear in Kearney, and taken to Montana to be assaulted.  More than 10 by standards witnessed the man drag the girl through the parking lot, kicking and screaming, and did nothing to stop it. Not so much as a license plate number was taken, and the psychopath was able to reach Montana, and scar the girl for life. The anti-gun policy/no open carry policy did nothing to stop the Von-Maur shootings.  When seconds counted in these two events, the police were only minutes away.  Sometimes citizens need to act to save themselves and the lives of others.  Even if you may have personal reservations on open carry, I think it sends the wrong message to the Nebraska public, the same groups of citizens that supported a young fly-tier in a garage, worthy of purchasing firearms, ammo and other shooting supplies from the company you represent, but not worthy of excersizeing their state-given constitutional right to bear those arms openly.  A store policy allowing concealed carry but not open carry I believe conditions the general public to be taken back and defensive when they see someone open carrying, and conditions one to think you must obtain a special permit to open carry, or that it is illegal.
          Many others share my views.  I have notified the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association of this selective enforcement, and non-tolerant firearm policy, and have submitted a request to place the Kearney Cabelas Retail Store on the "Black List".  Many other supporters of our rights as Nebraska citizens, along with myself,  will be expressing our concerns with our dollars.  I have been a loyal customer for many years and spend more money at your store on an annual basis than I care to admit, and was on my way to purchase a new eotech ar site when stopped that day.  I did not return afterward, and do not intend to until said policy is ratified.
           I hope to see change on the horizon for the Kearney Cabelas regarding this issue, allowing myself and others to continue our patronage.  I look forward to your feedback, and hope in the near future I will be able to post the Kearney Cabelas Retail Store as an open carry supporter, encouraging everyone to show their appreciation with their business.  I thank you, and everyone else who take the time to read this letter and spend on this issue. I look forward to future correspondence.

Sincerely,
                   Aaron from Nebraska   

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Cabelas Carry Policy
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:37:28 PM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:41:36 PM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 10:51:03 PM »
 "but not worthy of excersizeing their state-given constitutional right to bear those arms openly."

Ummmm...... the State did not give those rights.  Art. I-1:

"All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

"inherent" means we already have them.  Art. I-1 only recognizes that fact.

Words mean stuff.  If the State gives us a thing, they can damn sure take that thing away.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:53:23 PM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 10:54:01 PM »
That said, good job on taking this issue up with Cabela's.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 11:15:49 PM »
tradhunter
Thank you for the heads up and please update the forum when you get a reply.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 05:20:47 PM »
Collision of rights.  We have a right to bear arms.  Private property owners have a right to dictate what is and is not permissible on their property. 

Cabelas allows concealed carry.  I think that's an excellent compromise.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 05:25:08 PM »
I wonder if Cabela's requires the "only ones" to check their openly-carried duty pistols when entering the store.  That might be a good question for someone to ask them.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 05:34:30 PM »
Don't forget Cabelas has been good to us by allowing us to set up at their open houses and giving us free meals and refreshments throughout the day. Do not stir the pot with Cabelas, please.  We can ask them, but in Kearney they have some anti-gun police and city council members, along with a liberal college. The time will come, but Cabelas has been a friend to us, and I want to keep it that way.

I think a civil approach would be the best way, not a threat to blacklist them.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 05:44:46 PM by LitlRat »
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 06:41:21 PM »
Rat is right. Cabelas has been very good to use latley. Please aproach this with civility. The Cabelas events to my knowledge have produced over 600 members to the NFOA.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 07:37:17 PM »
I "third" the motions of lilrat and huskergun.  Go concealed and "fuhget about it". 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 07:58:35 PM »
I wonder if Cabela's requires the "only ones" to check their openly-carried duty pistols when entering the store.  That might be a good question for someone to ask them.

Yes , Cabela's official policy allows only law enforcement to carry openly in their stores. CCW with a permit is fine with them, but all other firearms must be checked.

Someone else mentioned it, but I will restate that the 2nd amendment is a limit on government, not on a private business.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 08:51:21 PM »
I appreciate that we can carry concealed at Cabela's and I appreciate the support that they have given us.
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 05:42:18 AM »
Cabelas has been good to us. But, I do think we can state where we will spend our dollars. The letter should have been a bit less threatening as far as the term "BlackList" goes, but I do support his effort to press Cabelas into fulling recognizing the needs of law abiding gun owners.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 01:44:22 PM »
Cabelas has been good to us. But, I do think we can state where we will spend our dollars. The letter should have been a bit less threatening as far as the term "BlackList" goes, but I do support his effort to press Cabelas into fulling recognizing the needs of law abiding gun owners.

Pretty much my opinion as well.  I'm glad they've allowed concealed carry, but there seems to be a little room for improvement.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline TerryLane

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 10:48:26 AM »
Thanks for your effort and please keep us updated. Take care.
Terry Lane
NRA Life
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Appointed Training Counselor
Nebraska Concealed Handgun Instructor

A-FIXER

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 09:43:13 PM »
Tradhunter, Maybe some rethinking can be struck by e-mailing again to cabelas stating the acceptance of the store's policys but still one is able to ccw in the store. as with much of the society people are begging to hear their own outcry or injustice done to them because of fear they are feeling fear of an open firearm in public and not in the field JMHO..... NOT TO SAY YOU AGREE BUT ABIDE JUST AS A  respecting outdoorsman. :) :D
You can blast back at me but I am not trying to pick on you, just saying when I blow off steam and I see it differently I have a choice to correct it... or accept it makes me a better knowing I done my best to seek reconciled differences I'm just a normal guy like you.... and yes somethings make me angry but hope at my old age I've learned a few things the hardway is not always the way to go.

Offline tradhunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 02:27:08 PM »
          Well, just an update, there has been no reply from Cabelas regarding this issue. One person writing a letter isn't going to get their attention, and I know that. The only thing that will is money, or bad press that will lead to money issues. The only way to accomplish any policy change with a company like this is to become COLLECTIVELY active, not be passive and settle for crumbs. Maybe it's just me, but if I strongly disagree with business practices a certain company exercises, I go elsewhere. Even if it means I might spend a little time finding what I want, or spending a little more supporting a business I agree with. Incremental restrictions on firearms are the number 1 threat to our firearm ownership and rights.  Once those are dissolved, everything's fair game. I am fully aware of every business owners rights to restrict firearm carry, but don't you think it's extremely hippo critical of them to do what they are doing? And come on people, grow a back bone. "DON'T STIR THE POT WITH THEM!", or " "THEY GIVE US FREE FOOD". Are you kidding!?! Don't forget who needs who here! Boy, if you think putting your name on a list, calling yourself a member and wearing a funny hat full of pins is enough to secure your rights that you don't exercise, or get your hands dirty defending, you are sorely mistaken. People in a lot more powerful positions than us are working a lot harder than this against us. I find it very disheartening to hear people say they are happy with a sort of bribe for relinquishing some of their rights to a store policy. Especially a store profiting off of the very exercise being aborted. Here's an idea, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I guess I'd like to see a little spirit of the sixties, and wittiness people actively and non-violently protesting and becoming active in the community on issues important to them. Did black people "settle" for the back seat of the bus because it was an OK compromise from sleeping in the barn and being someones property? NO. All men are inherently equal, and they wanted their equality, uncompromising equality. Rights not exercised atrophy and die. For the sake of rebuttal, the right to "Open Carry" was given to us by the state, in our STATE constitution. Some states do not have open carry.
       I not only am active but I also exercise my right to open carry in public because of many personal reasons, and the fact that I recognize the need to be a positive advocate to gun owners rights. I recognize that we are just as important as capitol hill lobbyists. I myself must be a polite, well informed open carrying advocate that can represent firearm owners in a positive way. That means I have to take extra precautions in how I conduct myself in public. I sometimes have to put up with funny looks, or inquiry, but I'm happy to. And for the record, I have had only positive inquiry until this day at Cabelas, and I have NEVER seen ANYONE else open carrying EVER. I would love to here excuses for that.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 03:27:58 PM »
Read this again, Tradhunter:

"All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."

Words mean something.  "Inherent" means we already have those rights.  The State did not give us squat.  The Constitution only serves to tell the State of its limitations, not to tell We The People what we can and can't do.  The laws passed and enforced by the State do that.  The Constitution constrains the State in its regulation of The People.

As for :"I have NEVER seen ANYONE else open carrying EVER. I would love to here excuses for that. " ..... just because you have never seen something does not mean it does not happen.  You've never seen me respond to a Fire/Rescue call- that does not mean I don't........  I know Kim, Jay and I have all OC'd in Nebraska City and Plattsmouth, for various reasons.  And demanding excuses for why someone does not OC is as wrong as demanding excuses why someone CCWs......

Offline tradhunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 03:58:40 PM »
I see what you mean when you say the state didn't give us the right to open carry. I guess they just didn't take it away, not the same as giving it. You're definitely right there. I guess that would be like me saying churches are state funded because they are tax exempt, when in reality the state didn't give them anything, just didn't TAKE from them. By saying I have never seen anyone oc I didn't mean NO ONE does, just that it is odd not enough do that I would never see anyone, ever. When weighed out and mused over, one should be better off open carrying than cc.  I don't want top get into a oc or cc debate, but if you look into long term public and political effect and endless testimonies from violent crime offenders, open carry is definitely the way to go most of the time. Thanks for your feedback.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 06:53:38 PM »
"but if you look into long term public and political effect and endless testimonies from violent crime offenders, open carry is definitely the way to go most of the time"

I'm curious what your source(s) is/are for such an opinion. 

I know one thing you have given up the element of surprise young Skywalker.