< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: A note from the GRPC  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
A note from the GRPC
« on: October 03, 2014, 11:06:26 PM »
Obviously one of the topics hotly discussed at the conference was Universal Background Checks. The general consensus is of course NO WAY.

The truth is that there will be states where it will pass. There was one idea that was expressed that may be agreeable to gun owners as whole.

The following is that idea in rough form and plain English. I offer no opinion or thoughts on it. I am simply reporting what was discussed.

Consider it and comment on it.

The idea being that since it will pass in certain places gun owners should get out in front of the issue and work to get our own version of Universal Background Checks passed into law.

1. You as a gun buyer want to buy a gun. You call the FBI Hotline or log onto the website. After entering your information you are issued a confirmation number (i.e. xyz124)

2. You come to me to buy a gun I have for sale. You give me your pre-approval number xyz124. I Call the Hotline or log into the website and enter the xyz124. It tells me that the person that possesses that number has passed the background check.

3. I take you money and give you the gun. No record of the transfer exists except what we might create as a bill of sale.

4. This would also work with gun shops. You take your xyz1234 to the gun shop they look it up and sell you the gun. It may in some form do away with the 4473 altogether. (maybe)

There it is. Is it a workable solution? Is it something you/we/I could live with?
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: A note from the GRPC
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 11:22:12 PM »
 not sure about that, THEY will have a record of how many times you called for a number, the way it is now with the purchase permit, they don't know how many times you have used it,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 11:34:18 PM »
True Shooter, however consider states that don't have a purchase permit or if it was a federal law. If Nebraska did, and I hope they never do, would the purchase permit be an exemption to the universal background check between friends and family? It would depend on how the law is written.

Many states are considering very bad Universal Background Check legislation and in some places it will pass. Is the above proposal a workable solution for gun owners in those states? If it was certain to be passed at the federal level is the above a workable solution for gun owners?

Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 11:52:18 PM »
I will need to think on this for a while.  I understand the people that dislike our purchase certificate (and truly in spirit I agree), but I like the fact that it keeps us out of this mess under current law.  Saw a thing recently that Nebraska has almost no NICS checks, especially when compared to states around us, its because we all have purchase permits and CCW permits so the dealer does not need to.

I'd be more willing to require the card for all purchases not just handguns and fix the problems with it, some places are charging more than the $5.00.  But that would be a state level fix not national, and I would not want a national purchase certificate.

So many thoughts and its so late.....

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 01:21:42 AM »
My initial thoughts on the idea are negative.
With the technology today & the current spy(NSA) state that we all live in....it wouldn't be very difficult for whoever administered this program to track where the calls were coming from.
I also see the next antiGun claim under that proposal to be that straw purchases are at an all time high, because there is zero connection between the buyer & seller other than a govt generated number....

In all reality, I am sure the this is far better than whatever propasal the left will attempt to force on us with RHINO support!
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
Would this be a single event or would it be required for every purchase?

Sadly, the electronic records will end up in Utah.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »
abbafandr has a good point, you know how we keep hearing there is no "National" gun registration or data base.  Actually the FBI keeps track of all background checks, yes they can not keep the details but they do keep that a check was run on person X at this time by dealer Z.  They then find out they need to track down firearm Y that was sold by Dealer Z at a specific time, all they need to do is go back to the records for that time and they know who to contact.  There is no single data base of the records and they are not breaking the law, just keeping a record of phone calls and the other data they a required to keep; but people are learning how to use these separate "lists" to develop records they do not have otherwise.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 02:19:37 PM »
No, just no. If states pass them, we squash them there.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 02:21:03 PM »
We need to roll back 80 years of infringements as it stands now.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 03:13:22 PM »
This discussion (and a lot of debate on day 2) came about while discussion Washington state initiatives 591 and 594.  both on the topic of background checks.

There are certainly some strong opinions on the topic.  I also noticed a variety of misunderstandings on topics surrounding the debate.  And this was among folks that have a lot of knowledge that many us have a great respect for.

I cringed when I heard someone say "It would never pass it Arizona".  I immediately thought of what HSUS had done in Arizona. Bad bills pass while good people say "it will never happen here".    Never take anything for granted.  Things that would "never happen" do sometimes happen.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 03:38:14 PM »
The idea being that since it will pass in certain places gun owners should get out in front of the issue and work to get our own version of Universal Background Checks passed into law. 1. You as a gun buyer want to buy a gun. You call the FBI Hotline or log onto the website. After entering your information you are issued a confirmation number (i.e. xyz124)2. You come to me to buy a gun I have for sale. You give me your pre-approval number xyz124. I Call the Hotline or log into the website and enter the xyz124. It tells me that the person that possesses that number has passed the background check.3. I take you money and give you the gun. No record of the transfer exists except what we might create as a bill of sale.4. This would also work with gun shops. You take your xyz1234 to the gun shop they look it up and sell you the gun. It may in some form do away with the 4473 altogether. (maybe)There it is. Is it a workable solution? Is it something you/we/I could live with?

OK.....One BIG Problem I see.

Having been put on Hold status for a Gun purchase about two years ago ....

I was given the FBI NCIS Phone number and 4473 number for my transaction. 
I was told that I could call them (FBI) to get info on why it got a hold status....

The Problem is when you call them ...they want to know your FFL# before they can do or will do anything.

So are we all going to be issued FFL permits ?

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 05:33:33 PM »
Actually the FBI keeps track of all background checks, yes they can not keep the details but they do keep that a check was run on person X at this time by dealer Z.  They then find out they need to track down firearm Y that was sold by Dealer Z at a specific time, all they need to do is go back to the records for that time and they know who to contact. 

I'm not sure that is true.   At least not for tracing firearms.  Traces are done as a series of phone calls starting with the manufacturer / importer, asking for the disposition record, and following the chain until they find the dealer that has a 4473.  They ask for a copy of the 4473 and contact the buyer, and see where that leads.

As for keeping information, all they can keep now is demographic / statistical information.  I'm not sure at what level, but all personally identifying information is suppose to be destroyed.

I am not saying that they follow the law.  I'm not saying they aren't.   But here is what they are suppose to do, according to law.

From the FBI website:

Privacy and Security of NICS Information

The privacy and security of the information in the NICS is of great importance. In October 1998, the Attorney General published regulations on the privacy and security of NICS information, including the proper and official use of this information. These regulations are available on the NICS website. Data stored in the NICS is documented federal data and access to that information is restricted to agencies authorized by the FBI. Extensive measures are taken to ensure the security and integrity of the system information and agency use. The NICS is not to be used to establish a federal firearm registry; information about an inquiry resulting in an allowed transfer is destroyed in accordance with NICS regulations. Current destruction of NICS records became effective when a final rule was published by the Department of Justice in The Federal Register, outlining the following changes. Per Title 28, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 25.9(b)(1), (2), and (3), the NICS Section must destroy all identifying information on allowed transactions prior to the start of the next NICS operational day. If a potential purchaser is delayed or denied a firearm and successfully appeals the decision, the NICS Section cannot retain a record of the overturned appeal. If the record is not able to be updated, the purchaser continues to be denied or delayed, and if that individual appeals the decision, the documentation must be resubmitted on every subsequent purchase. For this reason, the Voluntary Appeal File (VAF) has been established. This process permits applicants to request that the NICS maintain information about themselves in the VAF to prevent future denials or extended delays of a firearm transfer. (See VAF Section below.)

Now all of that is for NICS background checks.   There are differences in what is to be kept for traces.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 11:58:25 PM »
Rod maybe I'm being misunderstood or not saying what I mean clearly, they can keep a call log of all phone calls which does not have the NICS check data just a time stamp and who the call was from and subject.  There are other sources of data that can be cross referenced to this, the info I read was a story from a just retired FBI agent who was telling how they did this to track down a criminal.  Do they have all the info, no but with some cross referencing they can get a lot of info put together even when a normal trace would come up blank, some of it even getting to the individual purchaser.  Now the online checks, that may be an entirely different subject, strange things that could be logged without keeping the record of the check just that a check was done.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 08:52:54 AM »
I have hesitations on that proposal that I still have to sort out. But looking at the "code" from a criminal standpoint, it would really make straw purchasing wayyy easier. They could almost just set up a phone bank and "sell" the clean codes to random guys on the street. Of course, a bad guy would be dumb to preemptively call the FBI... but I've seen dumber...

The only way to make something like a blind code like that work is if there was an ID tied to it. Buyer submits his credential, gets the code, and then the seller had to confirm the code and a photo ID. I've never been a fan of the expansion of power that has been gained through the drivers license. What used to be the equivalent of a boy scout whittling chit card is now the omnipresent "papers".
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 10:57:36 AM »
OK.....One BIG Problem I see.

Having been put on Hold status for a Gun purchase about two years ago ....

I was given the FBI NCIS Phone number and 4473 number for my transaction. 
I was told that I could call them (FBI) to get info on why it got a hold status....

The Problem is when you call them ...they want to know your FFL# before they can do or will do anything.

So are we all going to be issued FFL permits ?

Why not just make NICS available to anyone who is selling a firearm, whether they're a dealer or private?

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 12:12:02 PM »
Why not just make NICS available to anyone who is selling a firearm, whether they're a dealer or private?

We've all ready seen the Answer to that one ...

Everyone will get their info posted to some anti Gun groups Website when someone figures out how to "hack" that system.                      

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 01:46:28 PM »
We need to roll back 80 years of infringements as it stands now.

This is my response as well.

No amount of background checks, 4473's or online "goodguy" lists will stop a determined individual from obtaining a firearm.
More feelgood legislation is not needed and should be vigorously opposed.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 02:06:46 PM »
This is my response as well.

No amount of background checks, 4473's or online "goodguy" lists will stop a determined individual from obtaining a firearm.
More feel good legislation is not needed and should be vigorously opposed.

THIS!
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.