< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Congrats to Thomas Howard  (Read 4497 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Congrats to Thomas Howard
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:12:17 AM »
We all know he's a pretty low key, stealthy and very tactical kind of guy who lets his shooting do the talking for him.  But boys and girls, he absolutely waxed the competition down at the Kansas State IDPA state shoot, held near Topeka this past Saturday. 

Match champion! 

We had a small contingent of Nebraskans there and we were all in the same squad.  A great time was had by all.  It was a well run shoot and we had great weather on Saturday.  A little muddy here n' there, but overall nothing to complain about.  The 10 stages presented a wide variety of challenges.  The SO's were all righteous dudes.

Also a big thanks goes out to Zebra, who was our "Squad Mom".  She kept us all headed in the same direction the entire day.  Thanks again!!!

I should also note our very own Bullit missed 1st place in ESP by less than a second.  A stubborn pepper popper refused to fall over for him even though it was readily apparent it was hit well.  Calibration was tested with a .375 H&H and it passed, so it was scored as a "miss."  :( 

The Jayhawks were gracious hosts and again, I thought it was a very well run shoot. 

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Congrats to Thomas Howard
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:20:26 AM »
...he absolutely waxed the competition...

Whoa..whoa...WHOA!  What you talk'n bout Willis?  Thomas shoots mostly USPSA.  In fact, if you ran the stats, he has probably shot IDPA less than one-half of one percent (<0.5%) of all the matches.  Considering these FACTS...

1) IDPA's purpose is to re-enforce proper self-defense skills

2) USPSA will get you killed in real life

Therefore, there is no WAY that Thomas could have done well in an IDPA match.  Let alone a State level match.  Did he even wear a "shoot me first" vest?  If not, that is even further proof that there is something amiss.

So I am demanding a recount because something is obviously wrong.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »
You mean our very own peep slayer?

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:35:18 AM »
Whoa..whoa...WHOA!  What you talk'n bout Willis?  Thomas shoots mostly USPSA.  In fact, if you ran the stats, he has probably shot IDPA less than one-half of one percent (<0.5%) of all the matches.  Considering these FACTS...

1) IDPA's purpose is to re-enforce proper self-defense skills

2) USPSA will get you killed in real life

Therefore, there is no WAY that Thomas could have done well in an IDPA match.  Let alone a State level match.  Did he even wear a "shoot me first" vest?  If not, that is even further proof that there is something amiss.

So I am demanding a recount because something is obviously wrong.

Fly

Actually I believe BOTH will get you killed IRL.  There were stages I thought the proper response would have been to run away, screaming like a little girl.  :)  Incoming fire has the right of way and is very unforgiving. 

When a scenario has you open a door to face several armed hostiles, and you have the option NOT to open the door to get out of the building, why open the door?  Just get out!  :)

It's a game and a fun one at that.  The object, after all, is to shoot in this game.  No points for running away awarded.  Thomas made the whole thing look easy. 

Everybody was wearing a vest.  It's a fashion statement.  And the pros starch theirs. 

Some guys wear an orange one though.   ::)

And shooting out of the cab of a pickup truck, even with no windows in it, is loud. 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:41:37 AM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
You mean our very own peep slayer?

No peeps to be found anywhere.  Just mud.  :)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 03:17:45 PM »
Fly.... have no fear.... Thomas was wearing his skin tight "brand" shirt ala USPSA ......  He was outstanding though to say the least.  The Scotsman (McSheehy) was dead on most of the day too .....

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 06:43:52 PM »
Congratulations, Tom.

And all that while shooting outside of your usual USPSA venue.........

Looks like you practice what you teach.   [That Skip-Step will give a shooter the edge.   But first, you gotta master it.  Looks like you've got it down..]

sfg
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:48:06 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 08:22:05 PM »
Gamer.

;D

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 08:29:04 PM »
Gamer.

;D

EXACTLY!  That's what one IDPA guy calls me.  I think it drives him crazy when I beat him.   ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 09:17:41 PM »
I can tell I've been on facebook way too much - there is no "like" button to be found here!

I know Thomas appreciates the kind words, but he is rather modest and would never admit publicly that HE ROCKS!   I'm not surprised at all that he won; he's talented, dedicated, and he does practice what he teaches.  It is awesome to see others recognize it in him.  He can't hear how awesome he is only from his wife.  :)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »
Fly.... have no fear.... Thomas was wearing his skin tight "brand" shirt ala USPSA
Skin tight?  Hey now, I don't wear spandex!

And yes, I WAS wearing a vest.  And looked quite fashionably tactical, thank-you-very-much.  :)

It is probably no secret that I like USPSA better than IDPA.  That's not anything against IDPA---I just like the puzzle-solving aspects of USPSA.  For me, that's one of the things that makes it fun, and takes us one further step away from bullseye shooting.  (Cue the complaints from people who like bullseye.  [sigh]  Nothing wrong with it, I just personally don't get amped to practice by that.)

To my way of thinking, having to think critically and make decisions on my own based on my particular skillset, and then after that manage the gun correctly, is not only a good test of shooting skills, but also just FUN.  IDPA doesn't require the decision-making that USPSA does, as the stages are (mostly) far more scripted in what you have to do.

That being said, IDPA is also fun, and I enjoy that too. 

I must admit, I had sorta "meh" expectations of what this particular match would be like, for reasons that aren't particularly important.  I am happy to report that I had a great time.  Seriously, it was a blast.  The stages were short but fun, the weather was pretty much excellent, the staff were good folks (couple of occasions of needing-to-know-the-rules-better, but mostly pretty good), and the squad I shot with was fantastic.  Shooting with the Nebraska folks was of course fun (and we gave each other plenty of commentary to "help"), and the rest of the squad was good people. 

It was fun.  If next year's match is possible for me, I'll plan on going again.  We should bring a larger contingent of Nebraska folks, though... 

(And maybe we'll have convinced Zebra to shoot IDPA by that time.  And Julie too, though every time I mention IDPA to her she asks if she can use her Open gun...  We can try, at least!)

Got my match video together---it was interesting to watch, from an outside perspective.  I was really hesitant in my movement especially at first (nervous about how they were going to do cover calls, lots of galumphing backwards on stage 3), and after I cranked my back on the 8th stage (man that hurt!), I apparently forgot how to shoot because my 9th and 10th stages were by far the worst of the match.

Matter of fact, of the 34 points down I had for the match, almost a third of them all occurred on the last stage!  (11 down on one stage.  Ouch.)

But yeah, I was the SSP Division Champion, and the Match Champion (which is an unofficial thing---they don't officially recognize that, though everyone looks to see who it was, just like in USPSA), but I also will get a match classification bump out of it---so once the scores get sent to IDPA, I'll be Master class. 

Not too shabby for my first major IDPA match, and my 6th ever IDPA match.  :)

Here's my match video, in case anyone wants to see what the stages looked like:

Official scores were posted here:  http://www.capitalcitygunclub.com/idpa/scores/2014-10-11.htm

...I'll note that since I went to a state-level IDPA match, that means you IDPA shooters need to come to our state-level USPSA match next year!  :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 03:28:05 AM »

...I'll note that since I went to a state-level IDPA match, that means you IDPA shooters need to come to our state-level USPSA match next year!  :)

The short, sweet and very simple IDPA stages already overwhelm me.  Maybe my ability to plan stages and execute will improve with experience but I'm dealing with limited CPU capacity.  It's a sad story.  :) 

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 08:39:20 AM »
Congratulations on the victory & thanks for sharing the video.... #domination
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 08:42:52 AM »
Good job Thomas.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »
Congrats on the win!
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »
Thanks, folks.  :)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »
The short, sweet and very simple IDPA stages already overwhelm me.  Maybe my ability to plan stages and execute will improve with experience but I'm dealing with limited CPU capacity. 

And you know the only way to get better at it is to practice more.  Thus----USPSA!  :)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 11:40:41 AM »
The short, sweet and very simple IDPA stages already overwhelm me.  Maybe my ability to plan stages and execute will improve with experience but I'm dealing with limited CPU capacity.  It's a sad story.  :) 

This used to be a major weakness of mine too. Now, unless it's a very complicated stage (or memory stage), I usually have a plan that's about as good as the better shooters. I still make bad calls sometimes but it's always a learning process. You start to learn how to properly analyze a stage for success the more you do it. The hard part is to learn to trust your own instincts over others. Especially when you make big mistakes!

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 12:11:22 PM »
But back on topic, congratulations to my friend and mentor, Thomas. I'm not at all surprised you did very well at the IDPA match, you've always been a great shooter! There's a reason I've taken more classes with you than any other instructor.

Now hurry up and make USPSA GM and Distinguished Master in IDPA. :)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »
But back on topic, congratulations to my friend and mentor, Thomas.

I'm a mentor?  Oh lord, are you in trouble....

Now hurry up and make USPSA GM and Distinguished Master in IDPA. :)

Oddly enough, I think it far more likely that I make USPSA GM than IDPA DM.  You can only make DM by placing within 5% of the winner at an IDPA Nationals, and I doubt I'll ever go.  (Unless I win the lottery.  If I do that, I'll do LOTS of new things...)  USPSA GM I could do by simply learning how to shoot correctly, and doing it fast enough (consistently) during the classifiers we have every other month here at ENGC.

Of course, "shooting correctly" is a lot harder to do than to say.  {sigh} 

...as I demonstrated on the last stage of the IDPA match, actually.  Boy, did I screw up that one... (One-fifth of my stage score was from penalties due to lack of accuracy.  Yeek.)