< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How's Your Ego?  (Read 3734 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
How's Your Ego?
« on: October 17, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
I was talking with a certain female shooter recently, and she related to me a conversation she had with someone who told her that he'd never want to do competition shooting, "because he'd get too competitive about it."

Her response (and her opinion about that statement) got me thinking about ego, so I had to write about it.

http://precisionresponse.wordpress.com/2014/10/17/hows-your-ego/

I note:  My comment about thinking that person just said "I suck at shooting and don’t want anyone to know" doesn't apply to everyone I run into.  In particular, I want to specifically say that while Shawn and I go 'round and 'round about competition shooting and disagree strongly, I know perfectly well that he doesn't suck at shooting.  I've seen him shoot, and he's got skill. 

He's just wrong about competition shooting.   :P

Some other people don't want to try any competition shooting because they don't have time, or they already have enough hobbies, or their wives or husbands need them at home with the baby, etc---there are certainly plenty of valid reasons for not trying competition shooting.

But most people don't give valid reasons.  Instead, they make up ego defenses, and it is noticeable when they do so. 

So I've got to admit, watching the number of people who talk up their shooting (I'm not talking necessarily about here on the forums, but everywhere such as gun shops, bars, shooting ranges, and the Internet in general) but can't ever be found at a match or putting their skills up for display or notice, and make up excuses to not try a competition---I do often think exactly what that female shooter said:

“What I heard was ‘I suck at shooting and don’t want anyone to know.’  Isn’t that what you heard?  That’s what I heard.”

One thing I hear a lot from people who get into competition shooting:  "I never realized how much BETTER I could get."  Why?  Because if you never compare yourself to anyone, you don't have any sort of realistic view of how good (or bad) you are.

How good is "good enough"?  Plenty of people have opinions about that.  Many of those people, however, don't seem to have any actual comparative basis for their opinion.

So how's YOUR ego?

(Mine, you ask?  Well, I regularly get stomped by a number of people every year in matches, and I keep going.  And I put up my shooting on YouTube so people can make fun of me.  Though I will admit, I think seriously about kicking Ben Stoeger in the groin right before he runs a stage about 3-4 times a year to make the rest of us look better...)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: How's Your Ego?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 11:39:33 AM »
Well said. While I don't shoot many competitions or matches, when I do its more about the fun and test in myself than winning. Case in point: I came in last at the last match :)
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 11:45:36 AM »
[quote]Case in point: I came in last at the last match [/quote]

Please don't mess around in my territory.

Thank you.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »
I'd love to get into competitive shooting, only issues are time and cost. Personally I'd be more interested in long-range competition but my Remington 770 just isn't cut out for that. I'm sure I'd suck at the start, but you can't improve without trying. I'd be doing it for fun anyway, I'm really not that driven to be or to claim to be the best of the best.

I recently took my sister to a private range operated by a police instructor, and he taught her how to use a handgun. He said something along the lines of "I much prefer teaching women shooters because they aren't afraid to admit they don't know what they're doing. Most men come in here with an ego and want to prove they already know everything and that makes it hard to teach them anything."
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:58:49 AM by mott555 »

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 02:31:39 PM »
Well said, jthhapkido. My ego takes a beating regularly so I am more than happy to admit I suck at shooting right now.  But then I am a consultant by trade and my job is to teach others what I do know and learn about/improve upon what I don't know so we can then sell that knowledge as well.

I run into a lot of people that hire us to fix issues they are having but then won't admit they don't know what they are doing when I show up to help them get out of the hole they dug.  If people were more willing to learn from their mistakes then they would find out they would improve much faster.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 05:21:25 PM »
I'd love to get into competitive shooting, only issues are time and cost.

I think a lot of us probably have considered getting into Chootin' For Fun, but need a primer on what exactly there is out there in terms of competitive shooting opportunities.  We've seen all the acronyms and have read a bit here and there about the International Practical Defensive Cowboy Action Confederation or whatever it's called, but don't know much about what it all means. 

- Do I have to have a certain caliber?
- How much ammo do I need to shoot/buy?
- Do I have to wear "511 Tactical" brand cargo pants, or one of those orange vests?
- Will people be talking about the zombie apocalypse?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »
King of Kansas :laugh:
My ego gets crushed into tiny fragments when I shoot with you.  But, I keep showing up and trying to improve.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 07:20:18 PM »
jhap you may not win, but you look pretty good out there losing.  What I mean by that is you have good style and form and from where I sit watching your videos, you look pretty darn good.   

In my case I would love to do a little comp shooting, knowing I would come in pretty much dead last (maybe 2nd or 3rd to last if a couple other people had failures of their weapon  :) )

Time is one consideration and travel is another. 

Have fun and keep shooting.
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 09:56:49 PM »
I think a lot of us probably have considered getting into Chootin' For Fun, but need a primer on what exactly there is out there in terms of competitive shooting opportunities.  We've seen all the acronyms and have read a bit here and there about the International Practical Defensive Cowboy Action Confederation or whatever it's called, but don't know much about what it all means. 

- Do I have to have a certain caliber?
- How much ammo do I need to shoot/buy?
- Do I have to wear "511 Tactical" brand cargo pants, or one of those orange vests?
- Will people be talking about the zombie apocalypse?

That's a good point.  Around the Omaha/Lincoln area, there are actually quite a few different styles of competitions available, for pretty much any gun you want.

Things I don't know much about, but that I know happen in various places like the Lincoln Ikes and ENGC in Louisville:
Trap
Skeet

Things I still don't know about, but know happen at ENGC:  http://www.engc.us
Lever-action silhouette
High Power
Swiss Rifle
F Class
Rimfire silhouette
Probably several other rifle competitions I don't know about....

Competitions I do know a little about:
Sean Gewecke runs the Rock-Your-Glock matches at the Ikes range (though they just finished the outdoor matches), and Thunder Alley is getting ready to run Glock Indoor Matches over the winter months. 
RYG Outdoor:  http://rockyourglock.tripod.com/
Thunder Alley:  http://www.thunderalley.us/ 

There are USPSA-like and IDPA matches periodically at Big Shots in Lincoln:  http://www.bigshotsrange.com/leagues.htm
(Not sure if those are sanctioned clubs yet, but they are run under USPSA and IDPA rules.)

Aldo here on the forums runs IDPA matches through IDPA Nebraska:  http://idpanebraska.com/
Currently matches are run at Thunder Alley in Lincoln, but he had a classifier match at ENGC, and outdoor matches at the Lincoln Ikes, and far as I know is planning on further, larger outdoor matches at those ranges.

...in general, I'm not completely sure of the scheduling for all of those.  :)

Local Competitions I do know about, all held at ENGC, under the auspices of the Eastern Nebraska Practical Shooters (ENPS):  http://www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com/

USPSA - held the first Sunday of every month
Steel Challenge and Multigun - held on the third Sunday of every month, mostly alternating  (see range schedule for particulars:  http://www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com/2014/2014-Schedule-1.pdf )

Pinned to the top of the Shooting Sports forum is a post telling you just about everything you need to know about Steel Challenge matches---and we have a match this Sunday, so you should come out and shoot it, or at least observe (but if you do that, you'll wish you brought a gun and ammo to shoot it).
Pinned post:  http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,6854.0.html

Steel Challenge is probably one of the best places for new people to start shooting pistol competitions.  (Rock-Your-Glock is also a good one.)  That isn't to say that there isn't fierce competition (we had over 70 shooters at our last match), but instead all you have to do is stand there, draw, and hit steel targets that make noise when you hit them.  No movement (well, almost no movement---one stage has you move about 5 feet), no reloading on the clock, no stage breakdown/choices, and the start position is the same every time.

And it is tons of fun.

Post talking about the match this month, including the link to register online: http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,12944.0.html

USPSA---includes movement on the clock, reloading on the clock, stage breakdown, choices, and is ALL KINDS OF FUN.  I love USPSA.  Just a blast to shoot.  SeanN posts information about our USPSA matches in the Shooting Sports forum, along with a number of links to get more information--here is the link about the past October match (watch for one forthcoming about the November match):  http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,12865.0.html

...again, if nothing else, come out and watch a match and talk to the shooters.  They'll be happy to talk competition and guns---matter of fact, the hard part will be getting them to shut up!

Multigun---is like USPSA cubed.  Instead of just doing it with a pistol, you have to manage it with a pistol, rifle, and shotgun.  There are some differences (target scoring is simpler, stages can be more scripted), but it is still an action sport.  I did perfectly well when I started with Multigun with a G17 pistol, 18" Rem 870 pumpgun, and a Bushmaster AR-15 with iron sights---so you don't have to spend tons of money on equipment if you don't want to.  (You probably will, though--fair warning.  There is so much fun gun gear out there!)

Our next Multigun match (which is actually our last MG match of the year) is on November 16th.  And again---coming and watching a match is a good idea.  :)

Matter of fact, here's the USPSA/SC/MG schedule at ENGC for the rest of 2014:

Oct 19:  Steel Challenge
Oct 26:  Zombie Match (EVERYONE SHOULD SHOOT THIS!)
Nov 2: USPSA
Nov 16: Multigun
Nov 23: Steel Challenge
Dec 7: USPSA

....and that's it.  Normally we only have two matches a month, but at the end of the year we cram an extra into November so we don't have to argue with Christmas for match time. 

Time and money are all valid reasons for not shooting competitions.  Definitely.  That being said.....bring 250 rounds of .22, at least three magazines (preferably 5) and a .22 pistol in a bag, ear and eye protection---and that's all you need to shoot a Steel Challenge match.  Well, that plus $15 for the match.  :)

Switch out the .22 for a centerfire pistol with a decent reliable holster that covers the trigger guard, and you've got all you need for SC in a centerfire division.

Add a couple of mag pouches, and you are good for USPSA. 

Multigun---have the three guns, and the ability to carry extra ammo for all of them, and you are good to give it a try.

Most people already have enough gear to shoot SC.  So everyone should come out on Sunday and give it a try.  Weather is supposed to be nice...  :)

Just remembered--there are also Cowboy Action Pistol matches at ENGC!  You'll have to look them up on the ENGC website, though...

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 11:25:49 PM »
An addition to competitive shooting matches is Bowling Pin Matches sounds like lots of fun.

http://nebraskapinshooters.tripod.com/
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 12:19:35 AM »
I'll throw in a plug here...I run a CMP Rimfire Sporter match once a month at the Lincoln Ikes range.  It's a good match if you're interested in position shooting.  Easy enough that beginners will be able to score points on every shot, but the 10 ring is small enough that expert shooters will tear their hair out trying to hit it.

We also have a vintage military rifle match that is a lot of fun (mostly a lot of good natured trash talking), centerfire benchrest, ARA (rimfire) benchrest, lever action silhouette, and a bunch of other matches I can't remember off the top of my head.

If you live in mid or Eastern Nebraska you have a ridiculous number of shooting sports to choose from, between 4 Rivers Sportsmens Club in Hastings, Heartland Park in GI, the Ikes and Lincoln Trap & Skeet in Lincoln, Weeping Water Gun Club, and ENGC in Louisville.   If you travel a little further there are even more, like Tappan Hill in Kansas, where they're really into lever action and black powder cartridge rifle silhouette.

The western part of the state is obviously more spread out, but the Alliance Rifle Club has (as far as I know) the only 1,000 yard rifle range in the state.  People travel from all over the USA and even some foreign countries to shoot matches there. 

You could easily shoot multiple matches every weekend if you have the time and money.  What it really comes down to is....what kind of shooting are you interested in?  I guarantee there is a competition that covers it.  My advice is to find a match you'd like to try and then call or email the contact person.  Pretty much every match director I've ever met is eager to attract new shooters, so if you contact them they'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 08:55:22 AM »
You could easily shoot multiple matches every weekend if you have the time and money.  What it really comes down to is....what kind of shooting are you interested in?  I guarantee there is a competition that covers it.  My advice is to find a match you'd like to try and then call or email the contact person.  Pretty much every match director I've ever met is eager to attract new shooters, so if you contact them they'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

When is the last time you ran into a shooter who didn't want to talk guns?  Never, right?  :)

And in addition to having a better idea of your skill level (and what skill levels are possible), you gain a wealth of knowledge about firearms in general.  Everyone has opinions, everyone talks guns and their uses, you learn about guns and gear and carry and technique from many different viewpoints.

Not everyone is going to be a champion--this is real life, we don't give participation ribbons to everyone, and there will only be one winner.  So the ego question really is, can you handle the truth about your shooting skills?  Because it'll help make you a better shooter! 

(pause as we wait for the first person to post something from A Few Good Men...)

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 09:11:22 AM »
I'm surprised no one mentioned Council Bluffs Rifle and Pistol Club. That's where I do my match shooting. Seems like I learn something new every time I go. This Sunday is a cowboy and practical pistol match. Bowling pin matches are my favorite with the 100 yard benchrest .22 matches a close second.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 09:23:02 AM »
 :D  Competition shootin' is hard on the ego.  Training is hard on the ego.  I speak from experience.  :)  It has a nasty way of exposing your weaknesses.  It's easy to practice and train on your own and get to thinking that you know what you're doing.  And I've got a big ego. 

But it's the best way to get better, if that's what you want to do.

You don't know what you don't know. 

I wish ENGC wasn't so far away.  It's tough to get myself motivated to get up out of a nice warm bed at 430AM on weekend mornings and drive, especially when driving is all I've been doing all week.  :)  Sad story, I know. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »
I'm surprised no one mentioned Council Bluffs Rifle and Pistol Club.

Didn't even know there was one!  Excellent!

https://www.cbr-pc.org/

Can you explain what the  Action Cowboy / Practical Pistol matches are like?  I read the Action Cowboy pdf file, but I don't understand the practical pistol part.

(The bowling pin shoot looks like a lot of fun---I'm going to have to try to come up for one of those next year!)

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 10:17:53 AM »
King of Kansas :laugh:
My ego gets crushed into tiny fragments when I shoot with you.  But, I keep showing up and trying to improve.

Don is right, I can't make every shoot because I work every other weekend.
However I try to show up when I can, and hopefully learn something and improve my skills.
It is like a lot of things in life, I have tried motorsports competitions and no matter how good you get there is always someone better.
So you just show up, swollow your pride, and try to improve, try to better your equipment as you can afford it, and do your best, because in the end aren't we all just competing with ourselves?
I have found that EGO can be a persons worst enemy.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 03:40:40 PM »
At CBR&PC the cowboy and practical pistol matches shoot a similar course of fire. We've been doing it with each discipline taking turns shooting the course. Usually steel plates, some poppers, some IDPA type targets and a star target.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 03:53:47 PM »
This is a well kept secret. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 06:09:28 PM »
I'm surprised no one mentioned Council Bluffs Rifle and Pistol Club. That's where I do my match shooting. Seems like I learn something new every time I go. This Sunday is a cowboy and practical pistol match. Bowling pin matches are my favorite with the 100 yard benchrest .22 matches a close second.
This is a nice little facility.  Have thought of joining it.  The bowling pin shoots are a hoot.  Been years since I shot one there though. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 06:40:12 PM »
This is a nice little facility.  Have thought of joining it.  The bowling pin shoots are a hoot.  Been years since I shot one there though. 

Um.  Where is it?  I can't seem to find an address on the club website.  (I can find the address of the club meetings, but I don't think that is the club itself.)