< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Purchasing bulk ammo  (Read 2519 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
Purchasing bulk ammo
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:25:11 PM »
When you are purchasing bulk ammo, what route are you generally taking?  last year i started stocking up, but i mostly bought only plinking rounds.

I'd really like to have a good supply of ammo that counts, however, obviously most of my shooting is just going to consist of target practice at the range.

Just curious how others manage their back stock?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Purchasing bulk ammo
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:43:06 PM »
For general target and practice handgunnery:
I maintain an inventory of many buckets each of 9mm, .38SPCL, .40S&W, and .357SIG target-velocity light reloaded rounds.  And shoot frequently at the range, as indicated elsewhere on this Forum.   (I also maintain an inventory of raw reloading components in these same calibers.)

For Self/Home Defense, Concealed Carry handgunnery:

I buy 50-100 rounds of a good, reliable self-defense jacketed commercial factory loads (usually the same as a local LE agency).  Then shoot off a couple of magazines of these rounds to ensure that they feed properly and cycle well through the handguns.  After about a year or so, I then shoot up all of the remaining SD factory rounds and start all over again.  To keep the inventory fresh and also to buy and test newly developed SD ammunition.

General Practice/Policy:
High inventory of target rounds; low inventory of self-defense rounds.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 02:52:17 PM »
General Practice/Policy:High inventory of target rounds; low inventory of self-defense rounds.sfg

so low inventory of self defense rounds,  that's like what? maybe 5,000 per weapon?
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »
Shooter:

that's like what?

By now you've seen enuf of my Forum postings to figger that I'm a True Believer in the importance of shot placement.

So....maybe....One Good Round?  Then there's no need for spare magazines, as discussed elsewhere on this Forum.

[That self defense ammo is now being sold in 20 round boxes at 50 round prices.  It's expensive.]

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »
One and done is the ideal and we would all like to think that we are capable. The truth is that trained professionals have a one-in-four hit ratio in a high stress situation.

That equates to three hits somewhere on the target for every twelve rounds fired. In some firearms that is well into the second magazine and over half of most others.

It is fine to imagine what you might do but understand the reality is going to be something else altogether.

Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 05:31:36 PM »
When you are purchasing bulk ammo, what route are you generally taking?  last year i started stocking up, but i mostly bought only plinking rounds.

I'd really like to have a good supply of ammo that counts, however, obviously most of my shooting is just going to consist of target practice at the range.

Just curious how others manage their back stock?

IMHO, a good goal for starting out would be...

Self defense/SHTF rifles:  5000 rounds per caliber with a mix of 80% milspec battle ammo and 20% cheap blasting ammo.

Self defense/SHTF handgun:  2500 rounds per caliber with a mix of 60% FMJ and 40% JHP

Self defense/SHTF shotgun:  1000 rounds per gauge with a mix of   40% of #4 - #8 birdshot, 40% of 00 - #3 Buck and 20% slugs.

Dedicated hunting rifles: 100-150 rounds per caliber should suffice.

Also, grab all the .22lr that you can get your hands on for 5 cents per round or less.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 06:29:42 PM »
Usually I buy ten thousand round boxes when they go on sale.

Seriously, my goal is 1000 rounds of target per firearm, as much self defense as happens and 2500 rounds per rimfire. I am almost there, except for shotguns, I am buying birdshot and buckshot randomly.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 08:42:42 PM »
Also, grab all the .22lr that you can get your hands on for 5 cents per round or less.

The best price is 8 cents per round.  Where do you fine 5 cent per round .22lr?

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »
Quote from: FarmerRick on Today at 05:31:36 PM

The best price is 8 cents per round.  Where do you fine 5 cent per round .22lr?

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

among other places...  ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline H2O_King89

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:42:03 PM »
Usually I buy ten thousand round boxes when they go on sale.

Seriously, my goal is 1000 rounds of target per firearm, as much self defense as happens and 2500 rounds per rimfire. I am almost there, except for shotguns, I am buying birdshot and buckshot randomly.
Wow who's add is that? Love to get that much 9mm

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 10:47:24 PM »
Its in the Cabellas flier, I just got mine today
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 07:59:42 AM »

LOL, if it falls below 10 cents per on gunbot for standard 22LR, not sub-sonic it's gone in 5 min or less.
D.R

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 08:51:29 AM »

Ah, short supply loss leaders to draw  shoppers to the higher priced but available items.  Good luck with that.

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 11:25:37 AM »
it only makes sense for me to mostly have plinking ammo, but in a shtf scenario, is that going to suffice?

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 02:18:49 PM »
it only makes sense for me to mostly have plinking ammo, but in a shtf scenario, is that going to suffice?

Keep in mind that our military is forced to use nonexpanding ammo. As good as expanding, no, but better than nothing.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 08:43:29 PM »

If the "plinking" ammo you are using has an impact force of around 70 ft-lbs it can kill.  (That will put a .22lr through 1 1/2" of plywood).  Pres. Reagan was nearly killed with a .22lr pistol.

Offline luv3puppies

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »
I got a great deal from http://www.luckygunner.com/ last June on 40 S&W. 22 cal is high no matter where you go.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 09:43:42 AM »
Thank you to everyone for giving me a better idea of how much I should probably have on hand for regular use and for SHTF situations.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 12:18:49 PM »
Never hurts to stockpile ammo when the future is so uncertain.  Ammo: the currency of the new millennium.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.