< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Amazon....  (Read 1598 times)

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
Amazon....
« on: November 02, 2014, 10:45:33 PM »
Who Else buys stuff online from Amazon?

I know that I buy a bunch of products from them....they don't sell guns, ammo, or mags. They do sell a ton of other essentials from optics to survival gear!

The reason that I ask is while perusing the Second Amendment Foundations website I noticed an Amazon Link at the bottam...

The general idea is that you click on the link on their page to begin, then you can shop online & once you place your order, a percentage of your sale goes to the website that the sale was generated from.

I don't know every detail yet but unless there are some crazy stipulations it seems like some free money for our organization...

Over the last 2 weeks I have spent approx $400 on Amazon using SAF's link & from my understanding of it they get that percentage(as high as 10%) on qualifying purchases....even if not every purchase qualifies, it's not unrealistic to imagine that they have received at least $10 (2.5% of my $400)....

What would stop us from generating revenue from this?

Even if you don't shop on Amazon very much, you could refer friends & family to our site or any easy link that you email them & every time they spend money we could be getting a 'piece of the action'.

I have seen people with these Amazon links for years but it finally clicked when I saw it on SAF.org because as best as I know they are also a 501C3 organization..

Just brainstorming out loud....so let me know if there are problems with this idea.

Since this would take some time to discuss & setup....do your online Christmas shopping through the link at www.saf.org & help out our allies in the good fight...

Edit....here is a link on some details.

https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/promo/buildlinks.html
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:49:25 PM by jFade »
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Amazon....
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 11:03:21 PM »
NFOA is not a 501c3 so we do not qualify
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 11:51:21 PM »
I just read 24 legal articles & I think it's time for bed....  Dan, is it your understanding that being a 501C4, we could not have a amazon link on the NFOA page?  After all of my reading I am more confused. Obviously we are allowed to have website sponsors with banners that have links.  What would be the difference to having a link to Amazon on the bottam of the website?  The link on SAF's page is no different in appearance to what we currently have for our local & national sponsors.

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:48:40 AM »
JFade, this was brought upon previous meetings and actually discussed at length.  It was decided that it just wasn't worth dealing with.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:37:53 AM »
JFade, this was brought upon previous meetings and actually discussed at length.  It was decided that it just wasn't worth dealing with.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Gotcha.... after reading a bunch of stories about bloggers & websites making quite a bit off of this program, I think I might fire up my own website & buy stuff through the link to save myself money...my mother in law probably spends upwards of 2 grand through Amazon between thanksgiving & Christmas every year.

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Sandhillian

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 09:03:17 AM »
For those of you that read http://leavenworthst.com/ to get your knowledge about Nebraska politics, you've probably seen that they also have the Amazon setup.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 09:28:52 AM »
I think I might fire up my own website & buy stuff through the link to save myself money

Can't.  Purchases you make through your own link do not count for income.  :)  You can talk other people into making purchases, but any purchases you yourself make will not qualify.

(Speaking as someone who has links like that on his business website.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 09:51:55 AM »
The issue is not that the NFOA can not get into the program but the management of the program and monies raised.  The amount that reasonably would be brought in for such a link is a couple thousand dollars, but because of the type of income it is would cause the NFOA to need several thousand dollars of expense in having accountants to do our books and then further make certain the funds are all being expended correctly.

There is or was an effort underway to get some financial advise from an accountant which may be able to help us better set our book keeping up so we can make use of programs like this and find a way to profit from retail sales (NFOA logo'ed merchandise).  Staying in line with the sometimes opposing federal and state laws on nonprofit financial policies is not easy and one small mistake could shut the NFOA down.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 10:10:40 AM by AAllen »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 12:25:11 PM »
NFOA can not participate in the AmazonSmile donations program as currently set up because the eligible charities are limited to 501c3 only. We can post a link to the SAF AmazonSmile page, but I am sure our members are capable of linking to it on their own as I have for years, and I believe that the links are specific to each user
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 01:20:29 PM »
Correct the AmazonSmile program is out, but the standard Amazon Associate program is available.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »
NFOA can not participate in the AmazonSmile donations program as currently set up because the eligible charities are limited to 501c3 only. We can post a link to the SAF AmazonSmile page, but I am sure our members are capable of linking to it on there own as I have for years, and I believe that the links are specific to each user

Ah.  Perhaps I misunderstood---I had thought that JFade meant the standard Amazon affiliates program, which is another way to use people's purchases to raise money but doesn't require said people to actually pay any more than they would otherwise.

Very different thing from the AmazonSmile donation program.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 01:34:56 PM »
I was thinking the standard affiliate program & I couldn't find anything that would exclude us from that one but as mentioned above it could be more work than its worth...

I was sipping on a bud light watching Sunday night football & brainstorming on unconventional ways to generate revenue for the NFOA....  if nothing else it started a discussion & may be worth further investigation in the future.

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline DarryH

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 01:21:25 AM »
I personally buy very little on-line.  Local dealers stock most items I want.  I want to help keep their doors open so I have a place to go and see things and get information. I often find I get into conversations with other shooters who often have become friends. Many dealers, not including the big box stores, barely have enough business to stay open.  The old phrase "buy local" means a very great deal to me.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 08:01:29 AM »
I try to buy local when I can, but many things, especially techy items, I have to buy online.  I wouldn't have a problem clicking through a link to get to Amazon if it benefited the NFOA.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 08:07:45 AM »
would it be possible for a member to sign up for an amazon account and donate money generated via amazon clicks back to the nfoa?

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.