< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Safe storage of carry pistol on a motorcycle  (Read 2819 times)

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
Safe storage of carry pistol on a motorcycle
« on: November 04, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »
Any motorcycle riders with a CHP here? How do you deal with the requirement of keeping your carry pistol locked (and preferably hidden) in your vehicle in no-carry zones? Furthermore, how do you go about removing it from your holster and locking it without causing a parking lot panic since you would be exposed?

I ride a dirt bike, a Honda CRF250L to be precise.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Safe storage of carry pistol on a motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 10:53:47 AM »
A. Avoid criminal-friendly zones
B. There are a number of license plate storage boxes on the market.  However, most are made of polymer and not metal.

As for getting the pistol locked away without causing a panic ... park in a remote area, kneel down as if working on the bike, slip the gun out unobtrusively ....

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 11:02:32 AM »
Any motorcycle riders with a CHP here? How do you deal with the requirement of keeping your carry pistol locked (and preferably hidden) in your vehicle in no-carry zones? Furthermore, how do you go about removing it from your holster and locking it without causing a parking lot panic since you would be exposed?

I ride a dirt bike, a Honda CRF250L to be precise.

If you don't have a lockable case, then it isn't going to work.  :/

I use something like this (or variants):
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/caldwell-large-handgun-vault?a=919102

...and then put it into a saddlebag.

That being said, when I ride my bike, I don't normally go to places where I can't carry.  (And for people who ride larger bikes with hard-side bags, lockable bags work perfectly well from a legal perspective.)

With respect to taking off the gun and putting it into the case---I find that it isn't too hard to do so in a circumspect fashion, especially if you park at one side of the parking lot.  It also helps if you have a holster that you can take off without removing the belt---just take the whole thing off, pack it in the case, lock it, and there you go.  (No sweeping issues with anyone around that way.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
I wish I could avoid no-carry zones, I haven't greatly paid attention to signage yet but it seems that they've been liberally carpet-bombed across the city of Omaha. Obviously I need to start paying attention to the places I frequent before I start carrying. This is all new to me, no-carry signs were not legally enforceable in my previous state (technically it takes multiple violations in which you refuse to leave or disarm and a peace officer is called to the scene before there is a penalty, you'd have to be acting really dumb for that to happen multiple times).

In my case owning a dirt bike makes storage difficult. I have some cargo modifications but they're for carrying trail/emergency supplies and extra fuel. My tailpack is awkward enough to open that it wouldn't be a good choice for pistol storage.

I do have a lockable case. I'm not sure if it's something I can securely attach to my bike but I'll do some experimentation and see if I find something that works and is relatively discreet. I own a small welder so subframe modification is not out of the question.

I'll have to research the license plate box idea. I may have a problem with clearance, I can't have anything that hits the wheel if the rear shock bottoms out. But I think that's the place to start.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 12:17:22 PM »
The license plate stash boxes look perfect except I can only find plastic ones. I might be able to mount a steel pistol case in the same manner but I'd have to fabricate a new license plate bracket because the one on my bike is plastic and not very durable. I wouldn't want too much weight on the stock bracket.

Behind the license plate appears to be the most discreet position possible. Also it sounds most people use them to store registration, insurance, and small tools like tire gauges, so perhaps the chances of someone noticing such a box and wanting to break into it are very small.

This should be an interesting project. If I proceed, I need to make a steel bracket, securely mount my pistol case to it, reasonably weatherproof it, then mount my license plate on top.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:41:32 PM »
Got Bags? I have put mine in a lock-box inside my saddle bags (that are hard mounted), and simply ran the cable out the back and around a bracket/ frame.  My plans were/are to hard mount a box inside the bags... someday. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 12:49:47 PM »
No saddlebags, it's a dirt bike. If anyone even makes saddlebags for a dirt bike it would look really stupid.

I have a tank bag but I don't think my pistol case would fit in it. If anyone wants to steal from the bike the tank bag will be the first thing they check.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »
Oh, I was thinking Dual sport type "Bags/ Boxes"
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »
I wish I could avoid no-carry zones ....

Check out the Unfriendly Business List on the Home page or the ongoing thread here in the forum.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 03:08:09 PM »
This has been on my mind for some time now. Only bag I have is a soft swing arm bag. I'm going to get a hard case that has the cable. I'll be able to wrap the cable around the frame of the bike and into the swing arm bag so the only thing exposed will be a small part of the cable. Should fulfill the laws requirements.