< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Best place for carbide bits... update with sort of finished 80% project on pg 2  (Read 6883 times)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Best place for carbide bits
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 09:59:35 AM »
well i jumped on a Modulus universal jig and two end mill bits (in case i broke one).  it came to $198 shipped.  Modulus Arms and 80% Arms both have Black Friday deals going on now.  i picked Modulus because their jig can be used with New Frontier Armory billet lowers and 80% Arms cannot.

Good to know Robert. I want to pick up one of those New Frontier Armory Lowers. JoeBobs HAD them for $75.... not sure if they are still on sale or not.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:12:49 AM by tstuart34 »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 10:32:57 AM »
As far as i know the Modulus is the only jig that will fit NFA lowers, except the NFA jig. Schuyler Arms Co has annonized NFA blems for $55 plus ship. They look real good.

The BF deals plus 10% off rocks. Im excited to get started.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 01:06:20 PM »
When you get your jig...stick pins, drill bits, or whatever into the holes, measure with calipers and check against some drawings for dimension ( since measuring outsides of two pins, remember to subtract the radius of two pins to get the hole to hole dimension). There is more than one instance of a jig being off and the results being a botched lower (or numberous botched lowers). There are plenty of dimension drawings scattered around the web to download.

Most stuff is CNC machined reducing chances of error. However, the last 80% I cut had an endmill nick in the mag well edge where someone screwed up on a machine setting...but provided a nice "blem" price if you didn't mind the nick.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 02:56:50 PM »
As far as i know the Modulus is the only jig that will fit NFA lowers, except the NFA jig. Schuyler Arms Co has annonized NFA blems for $55 plus ship. They look real good.

The BF deals plus 10% off rocks. Im excited to get started.
Damnit Robert! How do I get the 10% off?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 03:32:05 PM »
its on their front page.... BLACKFRIDAY10

ETA: not available on BF package deals.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 11:58:39 AM »
got my Modulus Arms jig yesterday and here's all the parts and my two New Frontier Armory 80% lowers.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 01:14:22 PM »
Impressive looking set of jigs.  Looking forward to a report!

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 04:11:48 PM »
this old thread needs to be resurrected!

i finally got around to doing a lower.  i have worked on it between class and work.  i also did this work when my wife and little ones are out of town.

my impressions so far, noisy, dirty with lube, my back aches and the shavings get everywhere!

first set of drill holes.  i started using a cordless drill, but i soon ran out and bought a corded drill.  faster RPM and more torque and no batteries to change!

another pic of drilling holes:

i thought i had a pic of my router, but i will have to update that later.  and yes, my "workbench" is pretty shaky, which concerned me at first, but now i think it'll be ok.  after i get it totally finished, i will report back on the final product.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 04:31:50 PM »
How did your router work?  I just bought the DeWalt version of the Rotozip for some tile work.  I'm wondering if that will work or if it spins too fast.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:46:19 PM by bkoenig »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2015, 05:13:27 PM »
i use a Bosch Colt 1 HP model.  here's the website: http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=PR20EVSK

i only use it on setting 1, haven't had the need or want to go faster.  i haven't broke my endmill yet, so i guess i'm doing just fine.  im almost done routing the fire control area.  i'll get the lower done tomorrow, unless something comes up.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 05:36:08 PM »
 should be roughly 1,000 rpm for aluminum
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2015, 03:56:28 PM »
ok, here's the somewhat finished product...

milling the fire control area:

drilling the safety selector hole, trigger and hammer pins:

my tools:  Bosch Colt 1HP router and Bosch 3/8" corded drill

the excess 20%:

final product:

so, what did i learn?  if you notice the rear of the lower, you can see i drilled down too far.  that is because my drill stop decided to move up and i never noticed it.  i also learned the filings get everywhere!!  clothes, shoes, hands.  make sure you don't drag the stuff in the house!

i do have a few final touches yet.  the fire control area is a little tight.  i'll have to smooth up the sides because the hammer and trigger assemblies get stuck about half way down.  also the safety is really tight.  i'll have to smooth up the inside because the rear of the safety is rubbing on the selector.  i think the trigger and hammer pins are a little too loose for my liking.  i'll get non-rotating pins for that small problem.  but those problems are all minor things.  in all, i think i made a darn good lower for my daughter.  i have another lower that i will finish later.  one lower for each daughter, built by their dad.  maybe they will want to go shooting when the get older.  i will also get the lowers cerakoted and engraved with their names and custom serial number later as well.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 04:16:43 PM »
That looks pretty darn good.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »
well i had to remove quite a bit of aluminum around the safety and rear part of the trigger assembly.  i can only think that i didn't mill out enough when i was milling.  i couldn't see very good, so i must have been close, but not all the way back.  so i used my dremel and several grinding and smoothing bits.  the trigger and safety are still tight, but functional.  on safe, the trigger does not move at all.  my other lowers all have a little jiggle in them, so i might loosen it up a little bit, or i might leave it as is.

the takedown and pivot pins are VERY tight.  i kind of like that, but then again its a pain to get them opened and closed.  i might smooth out some parts on the lower so it will fit better.  hopefully it will be test fired someday soon.  the upper worked with a standard Anderson lower, so i hope my lower can get this upper to fire as well.

anyways, its coming together nicely:

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
my wife and kids will be out of town this weekend.  this means a few things: 1. i think i'll do some shooting - like a Vintage Rifle Match and/or 22CMP and 2. FINALLY star and finish my other daughters 80% lower.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Lucky dog! My wife is talking about going out of town for 4th to see family and she is leaving me with the kids!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
my wife and kids will be out of town this weekend.  this means a few things: 1. i think i'll do some shooting - like a Vintage Rifle Match and/or 22CMP and 2. FINALLY star and finish my other daughters 80% lower.

well i did both things on my To-Do List.  I shot the 22 CMP and finished my other daughter's 80% lower.  this lower was the same as the first one, but this one went a whole lot faster and turned out even nicer.  i haven't installed any components yet, but i will do that tomorrow.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
well, im done.  both of my daughter's 80% lowers are done.  i finished them up with two 12" ALG V3 rails.  they are not fully assembled yet.  i'm not sure if i should cerakote them now, or wait and have them select what color they want. decisions, decisions....