< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: RESULTS: IDPA Nebraska Indoor Match, November 8  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
RESULTS: IDPA Nebraska Indoor Match, November 8
« on: November 08, 2014, 05:33:59 PM »
Woot!! Woot!! There were 27 shooters at today's IDPA Nebraska's Indoor Match held at Thunder Alley Indoor Shooting Range in Lincoln, NE.

Results are posted on UberScoreMaster: https://www.uberscoremaster.com/?matchid=A724A380-00E7-4F6E-8A97-223CAD847922

Yes, it was..."quite a match today" (per prior thread)...right, jhthapkido?  :laugh:  Congrats to jhthapkido for his 1st place finish overall, despite the first and only procedural in all of your IDPA matches!! Hey, there were two shooters who had NO procedurals, NO hit non-threats, and NO failure to neutralize: Sean_N and Aldo!!! (Hey, I've got to get my kudos from somewhere!!)  :laugh:

One of the more memorable moments was when one of the (unnamed) shooters after being given the command to "load and make ready", he removed his handgun from his gunbag, loaded it, and tried at least twice to holster it, and then calmly turned to the SO (Aldo) and asked if he could unload and go back in line because his holster was upside down on his belt  :o ...after Aldo said, "Holy crap, now that's one thing I've not seen happen before at an IDPA match"  :blank: , Aldo kindly allowed the shooter to do so....knowing full well of the impending barrage of jesting the shooter was going to get from others  :P

For the record, I have absolutely no remorse for all of the painted hard cover on all of the threat targets. :D

However, I, as the Match Director, do sincerely apologize to the 3 of 4 shooters who elected to not finish...2 elected not to finish because of the late time constraint of the match lasting longer than usual and they had to leave; also, 1 was still sitting in the range's waiting room unbeknownst to us while we broke down the stages  :-[  One other shooter elected not to finish because, well, his ammo wasn't firing despite light primer strikes....but the cylinder in the revolver looked cool as it, well, revolved with each trigger press  ::)

Many kudos to Thunder Alley for hosting the match and allowing us to run overtime to finish the match (apologies to his waiting customers), and many thanks to all of the shooters who helped with the scoring and pasting and brass cleaning of the shooting areas, and many thanks to jhthapkido and Sean_N for stepping up to help with the "SO" roles (my right knee had me hobbling), and certainly thanks to those shooters who stayed until the end to help break down the stages!

Yes, there were a couple or few PO'd folks because they would have like to have left earlier in the match.  And I accept responsibility for that faux pas...we usually alternate shooters (i.e., one does Stage 1, and the other does Stage 2, and then we switch those two to shoot the other stages) based on the date and time of their online registrations in order to honor "the early bird gets the worm".  However, today we just had the entire group shoot Stage 1 and then pushed to get everyone through Stage 2....which apparently messed with some folks plans to leave earlier.  Oh, well, that experiment won't happen again.  ;)

Otherwise, I hope that most of the others had a fun time...despite the sadistic dentist's penchant for excessive painted hardcover on all of the threat targets!  :blank:
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: RESULTS: IDPA Nebraska Indoor Match, November 8
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 06:53:47 AM »
However, I, as the Match Director, do sincerely apologize to the 3 of 4 shooters who elected to not finish...2 elected not to finish because of the late time constraint of the match lasting longer than usual and they had to leave; also, 1 was still sitting in the range's waiting room unbeknownst to us while we broke down the stages  :-[  One other shooter elected not to finish because, well, his ammo wasn't firing despite light primer strikes....but the cylinder in the revolver looked cool as it, well, revolved with each trigger press  ::)

That first stage did take a lot longer than normal---but you also had quite a few shooters new to IDPA, and it was simply a very difficult stage.  As such, it was just going to take longer.  Not your fault that it took awhile, and by the second stage we had gotten ourselves an organization and it went faster. 

If people have to go due to time constratints, that's how it goes, and it is too bad those folks couldn't finish---but again, that's not your fault. 

In a similar fashion, if shooters aren't in the shooting area when their name is called and aren't checking to see what the shooting order is like, then again, there isn't a whole lot you can do about that.  While you are the match director, we are adults.  (Except for the juniors, and they normally are in there helping the entire time, so they don't have this problem.)  As adults, we are responsible for being where we are supposed to be. 

The match staff shouldn't have to wait on shooters not being ready, and shouldn't have to scour the building looking for people who aren't at the line ready to go when their names are called. 

If there are medical reasons for someone not being able to help reset the stage, that's one thing (if you don't have a medical reason, you should be helping)---but even with that, if you can safely negotiate the stage, you can also safely go into the range area periodically and check to see if you are coming up on the shooting list.

I know you feel responsible, Aldo---but it isn't your fault, because it ISN'T your responsibility to make sure all your shooters are where they are supposed to be.  That's on them.  (On us.)

Yes, there were a couple or few PO'd folks because they would have like to have left earlier in the match.  And I accept responsibility for that faux pas...we usually alternate shooters (i.e., one does Stage 1, and the other does Stage 2, and then we switch those two to shoot the other stages) based on the date and time of their online registrations in order to honor "the early bird gets the worm".  However, today we just had the entire group shoot Stage 1 and then pushed to get everyone through Stage 2....which apparently messed with some folks plans to leave earlier.  Oh, well, that experiment won't happen again.  ;)

I'll note that if they had wanted to do it the other way, they could have spoken up when you asked everyone what their opinion was.  Exactly ONE person wanted to do it a different way, and several wanted to do it the way you ended up running the match.  While people (being people) will of course complain, they don't actually have much basis for it when they didn't speak up in the first place.

I note also that if people come up, let other people paste/reset the stage for them, shoot, and then leave, it really makes it hard on everyone else.  After all, we are all needed to help reset the stage---just like folks reset for you, you should reset for them.

As a local club, we really want to foster a community where everyone helps---that it is a normal thing that everyone helps.  Everyone helps reset the stage, everyone helps pick up brass, everyone stays to the end and helps tear down---because otherwise, some shooters get the idea that other people will paste/reset, that other people will make the stages and tear down the stages---in other words, that they can sit on their rear ends and watch other people do all the work so they can shoot.

That's a great way to have a local club fall apart and die, because there is too much work to do, and if multiple people aren't always helping, then the few people who DO work get burned out, and it ends.  (That's what happened the last time IDPA was attempted in this area.)

Everyone helps.  Through the whole match, even if you shot early.  Sure, sometimes people HAVE to shoot through and leave early.  That happens.  But it should be a rare thing---in general, it is just good manners, being a good shooter and competitor, and wanting to have these matches continue that should make everyone help through the entire match.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 08:45:39 AM »
I have to agree with JTH here, Ron.  You're a Match Director, not a nursemaid. 

We shooters constantly preach about "self-discipline" and "personal responsibility."  Maybe they're more than words? 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 09:30:05 AM »
+++++1  ALDO  ...  similar comments above as my text to you last night ....

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 09:50:42 AM »
Regarding the one person who was not on the range and did not get to shoot the second stage. He has some very serious physical limitations. It is not possible for him to stand in the range for long periods or make several trips in/out of the range, let alone walk up/down the range to paste. For those reasons, I feel it was on all of us to help him out. If I was thinking, I should have gone out into the lobby to check for him, instead of just accepting it when someone said "He left".

Regarding assisting with the match, including staying to help teardown, I agree. However, the verbiage in the original post regarding the match holds out the carrot that those who register first will shoot first. By mentioning that "benefit", it implies that the shooter can be done early if that is their desire. A few of those people probably would not have attended due to prior obligations if they understood that they would be there for the duration. Ron, Cliff, Thomas, & Sean…please do not take this as a bash on you, but If we don't want people to have that expectation, then that carrot should not be held out there. This is just one of those "live and learn" experiences that all burgeoning organizations experience.

Another aspect is that we are conducting the match in a place of business. Not a public or club range. As such, the owners want to see every shooter satisfied with the match. Otherwise, this has long-term effects on their business. Their opinion on how the matche is run, including early registration, should weigh heavily in the discussion.

ETA: To reemphasize what jthhapkido has said, every shooting match in the Lincoln and Omaha area, I believe without exception, is a ALL VOLUNTEER endeavor.  If we don't have people like Ron and Cliff (using IDPA Nebraska as an example since that is the subject at hand) organizing and setting up, not to mention all the interim work with score tallying, website management and the like, then there simply won't be any matches for us to shoot.  Asking people to show up and help is not unreasonable.  Otherwise, the people like Ron and Cliff are going to get burned out.  If we want these matches to continue, but we can't (don't want to) get involved in being one of the principals of the organization, then the least we can do is provide our physical labor to aid in its success. 

With that said, my prior statement stands.  Don't offer the carrot if the shooters don't get to have the carrot.  Maybe every future IDPA Nebraska announcement should include a "THIS IS A VOLUNTEER DRIVEN EVENT" or something to that effect to emphasize the point.  Also, Ron and Cliff could certainly request help at Thunder Alley for stage setup the night prior.  There are some nights that I could be there to help out. 

Ron...don't take the weight of this on your shoulders.  None of this would happen without yours and Cliff's selfless time commitment.  As I said, live and learn.  Don't be afraid to ask others to help out, whether on the range or with all the work between matches.  You did this to provide some serious dynamic tactical activities (not a game  ;D) for the rest of us.  We will all suffer if you get burned out on it and it all goes away.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Sheesh...after looking at how long my post got, I'm kind of feeling like JTH Junior.  :D

Fly
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:35:52 AM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »
My feelings are, if I want to enjoy this sport (or SC or Zombie shoots or RYG's or whatever), I need to help out, not only to speed up the shoot and keep it rolling but to perpetuate its existence. 

Therefore, if I make the commitment to attend a shoot, I'm there for the duration.  My personal time is precious to me too.  Call me a hardass, call me selfish, but I don't believe anyone else's free time is more important than mine.  Frankly, I think it's selfish to "shoot n' scoot."  If YOU want to keep this sport alive, YOU need to make the commitment.

Dare I say it? No one is special??

I've seen too many of these shoots end with just a handful of shooters left at the end of the match.  Having said that, I was happy to see there were still a good number of shooters present at the end of Saturday's overtime, hard cover riddled event.  :)

On a side note, if you are having trouble finding black spray paint in eastern Nebraska, I have a few cans stashed away I can sell at just a few dollars above market value.  :)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:01:12 PM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 03:45:24 PM »
My feelings are, if I want to enjoy this sport (or SC or Zombie shoots or RYG's or whatever), I need to help out, not only to speed up the shoot and keep it rolling but to perpetuate its existence. 

Therefore, if I make the commitment to attend a shoot, I'm there for the duration.  My personal time is precious to me too.  Call me a hardass, call me selfish, but I don't believe anyone else's free time is more important than mine.  Frankly, I think it's selfish to "shoot n' scoot."  If YOU want to keep this sport alive, YOU need to make the commitment.

Dare I say it? No one is special??

I've seen too many of these shoots end with just a handful of shooters left at the end of the match.  Having said that, I was happy to see there were still a good number of shooters present at the end of Saturday's overtime, hard cover riddled event.  :)

On a side note, if you are having trouble finding black spray paint in eastern Nebraska, I have a few cans stashed away I can sell at just a few dollars above market value.  :)

I agree with this.  Except for the black spray paint extortion thing :laugh:

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 05:04:31 PM »
As one of the new shooters there yesterday, I have to say I really enjoyed it and thanks to everyone who made it happen! Once I understood the rules I told my self I'd be happy if I didn't get last place and if I didn't get any procedural errors, and I managed both.

I was also pleased with how the SO's ran things. Nothing's perfect and it was a long match, but only one person spoke out against doing all of stage 1 and then all of stage 2 and he said while he'd prefer to do the original arrangement it wasn't a big deal to him. Everyone was given the opportunity to speak up, if they chose not to and then complained after the fact, well, what do they expect?

Clearly I have a lot of room for improvement but I've found things I need to work on. That never would have happened had I continued shooting at stationary paper targets without any kind of pressure. I REALLY need to work on my accuracy at 10 - 15 yard ranges especially if I intend to compete with the LC9 again. As for that one hit non-threat, well he shouldn't have been standing so close to the terrorist  :P

Extra thanks to the SO's and to some of the other participants who pulled me aside to let me know of any issues they noticed during my runs. I have no ego in this sport and greatly appreciate it.

I look forward to future matches.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 08:56:10 AM »
What was everyone using for ammo/bullet type? One of the problems I had was I couldn't really see the holes made by my 9mm FMJ's and so I was never sure if I had my 2 hits in or not. But with some of the other shooters I had no problem seeing their target holes even from the back of the crowd. I assume many of those were .45's but I'm curious if anyone was using wadcutters or hollow points, something that cuts a larger hole than what I used.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »
What was everyone using for ammo/bullet type? One of the problems I had was I couldn't really see the holes made by my 9mm FMJ's and so I was never sure if I had my 2 hits in or not. But with some of the other shooters I had no problem seeing their target holes even from the back of the crowd. I assume many of those were .45's but I'm curious if anyone was using wadcutters or hollow points, something that cuts a larger hole than what I used.

124 grain Montana Gold FMJs.  :)

In that lighting, you just aren't going to see 9mm at any real distances.  .40, perhaps, .45, mostly---but in general, you just won't be able to see 9mm hits well.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »

9mm 124gr Xtreme. I don't believe that a different bullet type (HP, wadcutter, etc) is going to make any difference in the size of hole on paper. Expansion shouldn't happen until it impacts the target and then only if the target has enough mass to cause the deformation. Any of those bullets will slice through the cardboard targets like a hot knife through butter resulting in identical (or very nearly so) sized holes. 

ETA: I should add, as jthhapkido said, in those and other conditions, you are not likely going to see the holes. Another issue is that age makes it even worse. Part of being a good pistol shooter is knowing when you have a good shot (sites aligned, proper trigger, etc.) so that you can decide if you need to make up the shot without seeing the hole.

The action pistol sports (IDPA & USPSA) require accurate and quick shots.  If you are watching for each hit as you shoot, then you are not focusing on the front sight which negatively affects the "accuracy" requirement.  The other possibility is that you are adjusting your focus after each shot so that you can look for the hole, or after firing the required shots on a target, you are taking the time to focus on the target to see if you have the shots. There goes the "quick" requirement.  Younger guys like jthhapkido may be able to visually transition from near to far very quickly, but it is not so easy for us guys that are a few years older.   To tell you the truth, it has been a few years since I've had that younger crystal clear vision, so I don't know what I could have done back then. What I currently have to do is judge whether my shot was good or bad based on what I can see which are the sights and the blurred target in the background.

Hope to see you at the other matches.  There are many other disciplines.  Try the Rock'N Thunder  (Thunder Alley), upcoming GSSF? (Thunder Alley), Tuesday evening IDPA (Big Shots every other week), Wednesday evening USPSA style match (Big Shots every Wednesday), Rock Your Glock (monthly spring through fall at Lincoln Izaak Walton League), and USPSA/Multi-Gun/Steel Challenge (at Eastern Nebraska Gun Club sponsored by Eastern Nebraska Practical Shooters).

Fly
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:27:13 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 11:37:32 AM »
I was using the classic .45 cal lead SWC's.  They cut nice big round holes in the target but still I couldn't see most of them in that lighting.  Each shot I fired felt good, particularly the no-shoot hit.  (my 4th and very much unneeded shot on that target) :)  But with the plethora of hard cover some of my shots were "just out."  Would've scored on open targets though.  I need to up my standards. 

I have a dickens of a time picking up the sights indoors in that uneven lighting sometimes.  So, I have resolved for the next indoor shoot, the torch is coming out.  Picking up the sight alignment will be MUCH easier, albeit at the expense of recoil management and speed (using some holds anyway)

And if I don't like my hits, full power mode will burn the targets to ash thereby destroying the evidence.  :)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 12:12:45 PM »
I should add, as jthhapkido said, in those and other conditions, you are not likely going to see the holes. Another issue is that age makes it even worse. Part of being a good pistol shooter is knowing when you have a good shot (sites aligned, proper trigger, etc.) so that you can decide if you need to make up the shot without seeing the hole.

{snip}

Younger guys like jthhapkido may be able to visually transition from near to far very quickly, but it is not so easy for us guys that are a few years older.   

Heh.  Young?  Appreciate the thought, but "young guys" is a descriptive more of people like SeanN (who is over 15 years younger than I am) than it is of me!

And my eyes AREN'T what they used to be.  Darn it.  The uneven lighting of the Thunder Alley indoor range really makes it much harder to see everything, including the sights. 

In other words, it is a good test, since we normally try to get good light when we practice.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »
How Lorimor sees anything is beyond me .... he uses "Cowboy Jakes EXTRA smokey Gun Powder" and coats his boolits with pig grease

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 01:25:06 PM »
As far as seeing your hits: Don't look for hits, watch your sights while you shoot! If your front sight was properly aligned with the rear sight as the trigger broke, you got a good hit. Trust your sights.  :)

I saw mine dip a few times but decided not to take a makeup shot. I should have, however... I threw two into the hard cover (black) on one target, thankfully one was close enough to the perforation that I got credit for one "down zero" hit.

My feelings about people leaving, not being ready to shoot, having equipment issues, etc. is that I trust people to be responsible for themselves. If they are not, I'm not going to work super hard to help them out. Exceptions, of course, for those that have medical/physical issues that prevent them from being able to participate a lot of the time. I would strongly suggest bringing a folding chair and staying in the range, if possible, in those scenarios.

Thanks all for coming out, it was fun.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 01:40:25 PM »
As far as seeing your hits: Don't look for hits, watch your sights while you shoot! If your front sight was properly aligned with the rear sight as the trigger broke, you got a good hit. Trust your sights.  :) 

Which of course can be very frustrating---but is REALLY good incentive to 1) focus on that front sight, 2) actually HAVE a good sight picture, and 3) practice trigger control so that you don't screw up at that sight picture before the gun goes off.

Ask me how I know about the frustration.  :)

I saw mine dip a few times but decided not to take a makeup shot. I should have, however... I threw two into the hard cover (black) on one target, thankfully one was close enough to the perforation that I got credit for one "down zero" hit.

I even knew I threw a bad shot that got me a down five (which ended up on the target, but not enough to be anything than a "past the perf" shot) but I ignored it for some reason.

...which screwed me up enough so that I DID put a makeup shot on a bad hit later on the same array in the second stage, even though that got me a procedural.  Yay slow-mo cascade of errors!

My feelings about people leaving, not being ready to shoot, having equipment issues, etc. is that I trust people to be responsible for themselves. If they are not, I'm not going to work super hard to help them out. Exceptions, of course, for those that have medical/physical issues that prevent them from being able to participate a lot of the time. I would strongly suggest bringing a folding chair and staying in the range, if possible, in those scenarios.

Folding chair an excellent idea.  Shooters are responsible for being ready.  If you aren't in the shooting area, already having it set up so a buddy comes and gets you when you are on deck is a good idea.  (It isn't the MD's responsibility to go searching for people.)

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
I have pretty decent eyesight. No need for glasses/contacts yet.  :P

What probably got me more than anything is I have not practiced at that range. I just finished my CHP training a week or so ago so I'd been doing everything at 7 yards, and even with the mile-long trigger pull of an LC9 that was no sweat. But being on the clock and trying to fire quickly at longer ranges with the DAO trigger was all new to me. I knew my groups were pretty loose. I had lots of -5's on the second stage, so it was a game of "Do I hope I hit the second shot, move on, and risk -5's" versus "Do I take an extra couple seconds to do a third shot just in case".

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »
I have pretty decent eyesight. No need for glasses/contacts yet.  :P

What probably got me more than anything is I have not practiced at that range. I just finished my CHP training a week or so ago so I'd been doing everything at 7 yards, and even with the mile-long trigger pull of an LC9 that was no sweat. But being on the clock and trying to fire quickly at longer ranges with the DAO trigger was all new to me. I knew my groups were pretty loose. I had lots of -5's on the second stage, so it was a game of "Do I hope I hit the second shot, move on, and risk -5's" versus "Do I take an extra couple seconds to do a third shot just in case".

Haha, shooting with an LC9 does put you at a significant disadvantage vs a lot of the other competitors too. A lot of us have full-size guns or even "competition length" guns with longer sight radii so we can see our sights "move" much more easily than you can with a short sight radius and the LC9's sights, if I remember, aren't the best from the factory either (it's been awhile since I've looked down the factory sights on an LC9).

Hopefully we see you at more matches in the future, mott! It was good to meet you in person.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »
Haha, shooting with an LC9 does put you at a significant disadvantage vs a lot of the other competitors too. A lot of us have full-size guns or even "competition length" guns with longer sight radii so we can see our sights "move" much more easily than you can with a short sight radius and the LC9's sights, if I remember, aren't the best from the factory either (it's been awhile since I've looked down the factory sights on an LC9).

Hopefully we see you at more matches in the future, mott! It was good to meet you in person.

I hope to be at more matches when my schedule allows. Was good fun and good practice. Also cool to see the faces behind some of the names here.

I know technically the LC9 puts me at a disadvantage but for now I'm competing against myself, not others. The LC9 was my carry weapon when I had a CCW in another state, and it will be my carry weapon here in Nebraska too, so it's important to me that I'm proficient with it. I could get a good single-action 1911 or something and do much better in scenario matches but that won't help me at all if something happens and I have to take action with an LC9. I was armed security at my last church before moving into Nebraska so having to take quick shots at hostage-takers is actually a very practical scenario.

I'll practice a bit and try a few more matches to see how I improve. Hopefully at some point I'll be comfortable with what I have and then I can try "easier" handguns for competition's sake.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 02:36:42 PM »
The LC9 was my carry weapon when I had a CCW in another state, and it will be my carry weapon here in Nebraska too, so it's important to me that I'm proficient with it. I could get a good single-action 1911 or something and do much better in scenario matches but that won't help me at all if something happens and I have to take action with an LC9. I was armed security at my last church before moving into Nebraska so having to take quick shots at hostage-takers is actually a very practical scenario.

Cheat like I do and carry a G17.  Easier all around!  (Yes, I shoot a G34 in competition---but since the frame of the G17 is exactly the same and I have the same sights and trigger on both guns, there really isn't much difference between the two for CCW purposes.)

Carrying a full-size for CCW is kinda like having that EASY button available for everything.  :)