< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NFA in Nebraska  (Read 4743 times)

Offline Chad McCumbers

• NFOA Full Member
    • The Gun Shop
NFA in Nebraska
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:36:54 PM »
I wanted to put up a quick post about NFA items in Nebraska to answer a few questions that I hear regularly and maybe clear up some misconceptions. 

First, Nebraska is almost entirely open to Title II weapons.  This means that individual residents of NE my own any transferable machinegun, silencer, short rifle, short shotgun, any other weapon, and most destructive devices.  In NE you may also use your title II weapon to do anything that is otherwise legal, eg hunt with your silenced rifle.

There is no "class 3 license" required for an individual to own a title weapon.  The weapons transfer to individuals on tax paid form 4 (or form 5 under special cicumstances).

You can make your own NFA weapons (excluding new mgs) using a form 1.

Machineguns are divided into 3 groups by NFA regulation. Transferable guns are those made in the US before 1986 or imported before 1968.  Any individual can own these.  PreSample guns are those imported between 1968 and 1986.  These guns are restriced to dealers, but a dealer may retain them after a license is surrendered.  PostSample guns are those made or imported after 1986.  These are restricted to active dealers, law enforcement entities, and govt (there are some contractor exceptions).

The transferable guns are the expensive mgs that you see advertised.  The reason a transferable M16 $10K+ is that there is a limited number and high demand.  There is not a legal option for an individual to own the $1K M16 you see advertised to dealers or LE. 

A common comment that I hear is that the ATF can come search your house anytime if you buy NFA.  This is untrue.  You sacrifice no rights by submitting a form 4, you are in fact excercising your rights.

Just a few comments to gloss the subject.  The details of NFA ownership in NE may be addressed in the future.

If you have any questions pertaining to purchase, please email at chad@thegunshopne.com

Administrator

Re: NFA in Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 01:20:59 PM »
I really want to get a 10.3" barrel and silencer for one of my AR-15's, but I've heard that it's hard to obtain a CLEO's signature in Lancaster County on NFA items. Does anyone have any experience with the Revocable Living Trust route that can be used to bypass a CLEO signature? I've been looking into it a lot lately as it's supposed to be pretty easy and straightforward.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:23:50 PM by Sam »

1hickey

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 01:35:02 PM »
So...

Are suppressors massed into the law with MGs, etc?   Is there only the paperwork to submit upon purchase of aforementioned weapons or accessories?  This is what I am reading into your post.  Say I wanted to get a suppressor for my little Walther P22 or get my Mini-14 modified for one, do I just have to be able to afford it and submit the form?

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 02:24:59 PM »
I don't know this for sure, but reading through the original post, I think Mr. McCumbers might not have wanted to go into much more detail about the process at this time because I am wanting to do an article in a future newsletter regarding the NFA rules, and the process of purchasing one. I hoped to be able to actually purchase one myself and write an article on my experience, detailing it step by step. Well, I still want to do this, but it is going to be some time before I can afford to actually make a purchase.

Please feel free to go into more details on this. You're not going to ruin my article, and besides getting the info out to our members is more important to me than any article that I might want to do.

Offline Chad McCumbers

• NFOA Full Member
    • The Gun Shop
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 02:28:25 PM »
I really want to get a 10.3" barrel and silencer for one of my AR-15's, but I've heard that it's hard to obtain a CLEO's signature in Lancaster County on NFA items. Does anyone have any experience with the Revocable Living Trust route that can be used to bypass a CLEO signature? I've been looking into it a lot lately as it's supposed to be pretty easy and straightforward.

I sold a number of items in Lancaster County to corps and trusts formed to avoid dealing with the CLEO.  Having said that, you should make an appointment and ask before you form the corp or trust.  Be polite and don't tell them about the corp or trust if they refuse, thank them for their time and leave.  I assume they know, but do not rub it in and make it a point of contention.

Offline Chad McCumbers

• NFOA Full Member
    • The Gun Shop
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 02:31:44 PM »
So...

Are suppressors massed into the law with MGs, etc?   Is there only the paperwork to submit upon purchase of aforementioned weapons or accessories?  This is what I am reading into your post.  Say I wanted to get a suppressor for my little Walther P22 or get my Mini-14 modified for one, do I just have to be able to afford it and submit the form?

Yes, silencers are title weapons just like mgs.  Once you purchase the silencer, you will submit a complete form 4 with your $200 tax.  So basically all you need is the money and be qualified to buy a firearm.

The P22 is a popular host for a nice, light muzzle can like the AAC Pilot or John's Guns Viper.  The mini 14 is not a good host but it can be done.  An AAC Ranger2 would be the best option for this.

1hickey

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 02:40:46 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications, Chad!

I may be talking to you in the future about a suppressor for the P22!

As far as the Mini, I was hoping the new Surefire 5.56/.223 suppressor could be utilized.

Offline Chad McCumbers

• NFOA Full Member
    • The Gun Shop
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 02:48:24 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications, Chad!

I may be talking to you in the future about a suppressor for the P22!

As far as the Mini, I was hoping the new Surefire 5.56/.223 suppressor could be utilized.

You could use the SureFire, but it will cost 3x the AAC, be larger and heavier than the AAC, and not be nearly as quiet.  The mini 14 has a tremendous amount of action noise (gas out of the ejection port) that a silencer can do nothing about.

1hickey

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 02:51:03 PM »
Unfortunately, SureFire is awfully proud of thier stuff.

Offline Chad McCumbers

• NFOA Full Member
    • The Gun Shop
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 02:54:11 PM »
Unfortunately, SureFire is awfully proud of thier stuff.

The customer pays for the huge marketing campaign, not necessarily the quality of the product.  I am sure the purchase price of the silencer helps to pay for the cool calenders that SureFire gave me to give to LE depts last year.  That is why I am now a StreamLight dealer instead of SureFire.

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 01:22:46 PM »
Dave, Chad this is likely something for one of you.

I'm looking at my first can. I need some advice.

I am thinking either .22LR or .223. The use will, honestly, just be for cool factor.

Can you recommend cans for each with a good balance of quiet and price? I'm willing to hedge a little on db in return for $$.

Also, I know this is not the perfect solution, but how much of a db effect is there using a .223 can on a .22LR? Again, I'd be willing to trade some .22LR dbs, but only if this was safe and made some impact on sound.

Thanks, gents.

Offline Chad McCumbers

• NFOA Full Member
    • The Gun Shop
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 03:52:30 PM »
You have a lot of options in a .22LR can.  A great way to start with NFA is a Tac 65 from Tactical Innovations, I sell these for $249 in my store.  The AAC Pilot and John's Guns .22 cans are a little smaller and quieter for more money.

The 5.56 cans require a little more engineering for quality.  The John's Guns QD can is great. The AAC M4-1000 or Ranger 2 is also a great choice, I would also look at the YHM cans.  I can offer all of these in my shop.

If you are looking for a multi purpose rifle can, you can shoot the 5.56 can on .22LR rifles to great effect (a 5.56 can will have 3-4x the volume as the rimfire can), but not so much with pistols because of the weight.  You cannot use a .22LR can on a 5.56.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email.  I can always set up a demo.

Offline gmtmaster

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 08:09:07 PM »
Ive got a Bowers CAC9 on my ..380 MAC.. Nice little can for the $$

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 08:49:35 AM »

I went the Trust route so that I didn't have to say anything to my CLEO about me having a suppressor.  I just felt that was something he didn't need to know.  There is also the added beneifit of allowing the people on your trust to use the suppressor without you being present.  Also, if you die then your benefactor doesn't have to pay ($200 Tax Stamp) to have the suppressor transferred to their name.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 01:18:28 AM »
Individual owned NFA items transfer tax free on ATF form 5 to a lawful heir, so there is no transfer tax advantage to your children to go the trust route.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

A-FIXER

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 09:43:07 AM »
Intersting on the form 5 to the lawful heir... then other than cleo then is the best way to do is trust allowing the family members to use without you presence then correct?

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 11:55:16 PM »
A trust or corp. or a FFL with responsible persons listed is the only way I know of to have multiple persons possess.  What is best is doing to depend upon factors I assist with filling out of transfer forms, if ATF approves the transfer to the individual, trust or corporation, then my part is done. I do not have the legal expertise to know about keeping trusts and corporations going for generations to come with the purpose of NFA ownership.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:00:35 AM by David Hineline »

Offline JFT

• NFOA Full Member
Re:Barrel length question
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 08:53:13 AM »
I have several Thompson Contender barrels and a buttstock and pistol grip. I understand that 16" is the cutoff length for rifle barrels. My question is: I have a Contender barrel, that is exactly 16". This is the entire barrel including the breech. Can I use this with my buttstock, or is this strickly considered a pistol barrel? Thanks, JFT

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 01:56:09 AM »
The way the barrel is measured, is to close the bolt/action on the gun, then drop a measuring rod down until it bottoms out on the face of the bolt/action, in your case something different since no bolt.  Mark the rod, pull it out it must be 16" or longer.

Offline JFT

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 11:37:23 AM »
Thanks for the very clear answer. I new the barrel was very close to the limit. I appreciate your help!  JFT